Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 07:04 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,038,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Gotta be careful there. Make 'em feel too much love and they might not leave!
Aha. I just asked myself (last post) why my family's honorary members stayed with us for long periods of time instead of with their own families. Now I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 07:23 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,896,951 times
When I was younger, it was all I could do to "entertain" my five sons and hubs. Eventually they grew up, (not the hubs), and when he became ill, I was working full time yet still maintaining the home for the two younger ones who hadn't yet reached the age of "get married and get out!"

I always had the entire family here for Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas - me doing all the work and happy to do it.

Eventually, it became just Christmas. This year, there were 26 of us and I did all the cleaning, cooking, decorating, shopping, wrapping, baking (8 kinds of cookies). The day was great and a couple of the attendees pitched in and cleaned up the kitchen when it got too messy. (We use paper plates, TYVM.) Since I'm 76 years old, it will probably take me until next Christmas to recoup my energy and that's why I don't entertain. Besides, I'm not good at small talk and I tend to nod off when the evening extends beyond 9:30PM

Despite the fact that I cook supper for myself every night (or just about), if you want to swing by early, we can have a sandwich and a cup of coffee. I usually have fruit and can put together some kind of dessert. If I doze off, just lock the door when you leave.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:56 PM

4 posts, read 4,184 times
Smile sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
My mother was very social and had many friends. She entertained for decades and would go the full 9 yards: booze, food, party favors, etc.

However, by her mid-70's almost all her friends had died and the remaining were too old to go out anymore. She is now 89 and all her friends, sadly, are long since dead. She said to me recently, "I would still like to entertain, but I have no one to invite."

Sad.
Your mums comment brought a tear to my eye. I immediately thought, what about church? but then again that is only if she is a church goer. Dont let her be lonely, let her entertain you. Blessings to you both.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:07 PM

4 posts, read 4,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
When I was younger, it was all I could do to "entertain" my five sons and hubs. Eventually they grew up, (not the hubs), and when he became ill, I was working full time yet still maintaining the home for the two younger ones who hadn't yet reached the age of "get married and get out!"

I always had the entire family here for Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas - me doing all the work and happy to do it.

Eventually, it became just Christmas. This year, there were 26 of us and I did all the cleaning, cooking, decorating, shopping, wrapping, baking (8 kinds of cookies). The day was great and a couple of the attendees pitched in and cleaned up the kitchen when it got too messy. (We use paper plates, TYVM.) Since I'm 76 years old, it will probably take me until next Christmas to recoup my energy and that's why I don't entertain. Besides, I'm not good at small talk and I tend to nod off when the evening extends beyond 9:30PM

Despite the fact that I cook supper for myself every night (or just about), if you want to swing by early, we can have a sandwich and a cup of coffee. I usually have fruit and can put together some kind of dessert. If I doze off, just lock the door when you leave.
Hello, I absolutely loved your post, its as if I had written it. There is only one difference I am 67. I too have always been a very social person, but a time came in my life when I said...hey, guess what? its going to be all about me now and thats exactly how it is now.

I have moved away from all and sundry and my closest family member is a 5 hour drive away (just a nice distance). I have made new friends where I am but you can count them on one hand. I just dont want to nurture new friendships as much as I used to. why? well its time consuming and tiring as I tend to give too much of myself. I could go an on but will only add, yes I am a mother,grandmother and great grandmother and I thank the Lord daily for giving them to me, but I also thank him for showing me the way to now enjoy "me" time.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:13 AM

934 posts, read 1,930,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Gotta be careful there. Make 'em feel too much love and they might not leave!
Q: What do visiting relatives and fish have in common?
A: Both start to stink after about three days.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:16 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,774,804 times
I have dogs over...much more pleasant company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement