Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How long do you think you're likely to live?
65-70 9 9.68%
71-74 9 9.68%
75-80 30 32.26%
81-90 or more 45 48.39%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 12:49 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
I once heard a person on the radio put it like this. " I had no comprehension of anything before I was born so why would I expect to comprehend anything at death"? I was like hmmmmmmmm. I don't fear death what I have a problem with is the how.
Totally agree!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 09:42 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,378,646 times
I'm 62 and in better health than my almost 42 yr old son. The 50s and 60s tend not to be good for my family.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:29 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,502 times
Father died at 75. Mother died at 87. Both were relatively healthy almost to the end. Eldest brother is 78 at the moment and might or might not make it through the immediate future.

At 59, I am next to the youngest in a family of seven. If we were to leave the earth in the order of first arrive first depart, my number would not be up for a long while.

PS: I must make a trip to say goodbye to my brother in a couple of days. I am not ready to do so, and I am fighting it by being flippant.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:46 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
Father died at 75. Mother died at 87. Both were relatively healthy almost to the end. Eldest brother is 78 at the moment and might or might not make it through the immediate future.

At 59, I am next to the youngest in a family of seven. If we were to leave the earth in the order of first arrive first depart, my number would not be up for a long while.

PS: I must make a trip to say goodbye to my brother in a couple of days. I am not ready to do so, and I am fighting it by being flippant.
Whatever works for you. I hope it goes better than you seem to be anticipating, and for him as well. It's never easy seeing someone you care about in decline.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:57 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Today, in this friggin' freezing zero-cold weather walking the dog, I feel like I'm 90 and am starting to think maybe I won't make 107 after all. Probably not even 90, and most likely not 70 or 80. I eat well, so it must be the genes. Maybe I would live longer if I moved South. But what about those summers??

Old 01-16-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Today, in this friggin' freezing zero-cold weather walking the dog, I feel like I'm 90 and am starting to think maybe I won't make 107 after all. Probably not even 90, and most likely not 70 or 80. I eat well, so it must be the genes. Maybe I would live longer if I moved South. But what about those summers??
Piece-o-cake! That's why some inspired individual invented air conditioning.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:08 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Piece-o-cake! That's why some inspired individual invented air conditioning.
That doesn't help with walking the dog and getting some exercise! Has anyone yet invented a unit you can wear around your head??

Old 01-16-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
That doesn't help with walking the dog and getting some exercise! Has anyone yet invented a unit you can wear around your head??
Pretty close. Evaporative scarves and head coverings. Mornings and evenings are usually bearable.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:17 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,474,008 times
An 80-year-old Texas rancher goes to the Mayo clinic for a check-up.

The doctor is amazed at what good shape the guy is in and asks, 'How do you stay in such great physical condition?'

'I'm from Texas and in my spare time I like to hunt and fish' says the old guy, 'and that's why I'm In such good shape. I'm up well before daylight riding herd and mending fences and when I'm not doing that, I'm out hunting or fishing. In the evening, I have a beer and all is well.'

'Well' says the doctor, 'I'm sure that helps, but there's got to be more to it. How old was your father when he died?'

'Who said my father's dead?'

The doctor is amazed. 'You mean you're 80 years old and your father's still alive? How old is he?'

'He's 100 years old,' says the old Texan. 'In fact he worked with and hunted with me this morning, and then we went to the topless bar for a while and had some beer and that's why he's still alive. He's a Texas rancher and he's a hunter and fisherman too.'

'Well,' the doctor says, 'that's great, but I'm sure there's more to it than that. How about your father's father? How old was he when he died?'

'Who said my Grandpa's dead?'

Stunned, the doctor asks, 'you mean you're 80 years old and your grandfather's' still alive?'

'He's 118 years old,' says the man.

The doctor is getting frustrated at this point, 'So, I guess he went hunting with you this morning too?'

'No, Grandpa couldn't go this morning because he's getting married today.'

At this point the doctor is close to losing it. 'Getting married!! Why would a 118 year-old guy want to get married?'

'Who said he wanted to?'

Old 01-17-2012, 06:20 AM

699 posts, read 1,706,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Mornings and evenings are usually bearable.
NewEnglandGirl, you end up walking your dogs at four in the morning because by five you can't breath outside. Forget evenings. It doesn't cool off until way late and the dogs won't wait that long.

But the fall, winter, and spring make up for it. Yowza!

Moved to NC from MN and AK prior to that. This is the first winter my hips and shoulders haven't ached in years. Looking forward to a long spring gardening season instead of a race against the calendar to get things in the ground in time to get any crop other than radishes.

Not sure I will live longer here. Might be that I will wear out sooner. Definitely don't spend as much time huddled under a blanket reading.

But I think my life will seem longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement