Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Take Probiotics For Good Health & Aging?
Yes 14 40.00%
No 18 51.43%
Never heard of it 3 8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 07:19 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times

Advertisements

Probiotics; are enzyme that may live in your gut.

I stock powdered: Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus plantarum, and Entrococcus faecium.

Which of these do you use? Are there others that you use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 09:22 AM

750 posts, read 1,434,772 times
I voted "no".

My experience with the whole topic has not convinced me that I need probiotics. Maybe someday; not now.

Not saying this applies to any of the posters here, but the proponents I've experienced, who attribute benefits of similar therapies and attempt to diagnose and treat medical issues outside of accepted, scientifically proven methods, are usually salesmen/women looking to make a handsome profit from selling products.

I come from a heavy science background, teach it at the university level, and find there's often a bit of "woo" medicine in such things. So yes, I'm a skeptic. I don't believe in the healing powers of pyramids or crystals, either.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:24 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I don't take probiotics for good health and aging.

I take it to feel better in my digestive tract. That makes me feel better all over!

Old 01-13-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsqueezer View Post

I come from a heavy science background, teach it at the university level, and find there's often a bit of "woo" medicine in such things. So yes, I'm a skeptic. I don't believe in the healing powers of pyramids or crystals, either.
I come from a heavy science background, practice western medicine, and the more I do it, the more I am likely to stay away from conventional interventions.

That isn't to say that I am not going to use an antibiotic if I have an infection that warrants it, etc. But instead of surgery on my shoulder, I have been able to do enough stretches and strengthening that it does a ton better...same with my sciatic nerve pain (it was like a miracle)...serious deep tissue massages have released pressure around my knees and back...I have managed to (a few times) avoid using NSAIDS and rx meds for migraines and tension headaches by doing pressure points on my neck and having someone massage there, as well.

There is a place for conventional medicine and intervention (not many ways out of an appendectomy or even certain joint replacements), but I think it's overused because frankly...people are effin' lazy as hell and they want a pill for every damn thing. I applaud those friends, family, and patients of mine that have made the appropriate lifestyle changes so that they are completely off their blood pressure and diabetes meds. So many diseases are completely self-inflicted, but so few people want to do anything about it or take it as a warning sign about the life they are leading.

The change in my geriatric dog when I put her on fish oil pills...it was so astounding...she went from crotchety and arthritic and stiff to bright-eyed, running, jumping, and playing. I couldn't ignore the obvious change. So I take it now, too. My joints hurt less. That's the only change I have noticed thus far.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:55 AM

750 posts, read 1,434,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I come from a heavy science background, practice western medicine, and the more I do it, the more I am likely to stay away from conventional interventions.

That isn't to say that I am not going to use an antibiotic if I have an infection that warrants it, etc. But instead of surgery on my shoulder, I have been able to do enough stretches and strengthening that it does a ton better...same with my sciatic nerve pain (it was like a miracle)...serious deep tissue massages have released pressure around my knees and back...I have managed to (a few times) avoid using NSAIDS and rx meds for migraines and tension headaches by doing pressure points on my neck and having someone massage there, as well.

There is a place for conventional medicine and intervention (not many ways out of an appendectomy or even certain joint replacements), but I think it's overused because frankly...people are effin' lazy as hell and they want a pill for every damn thing. I applaud those friends, family, and patients of mine that have made the appropriate lifestyle changes so that they are completely off their blood pressure and diabetes meds. So many diseases are completely self-inflicted, but so few people want to do anything about it or take it as a warning sign about the life they are leading.

The change in my geriatric dog when I put her on fish oil pills...it was so astounding...she went from crotchety and arthritic and stiff to bright-eyed, running, jumping, and playing. I couldn't ignore the obvious change. So I take it now, too. My joints hurt less. That's the only change I have noticed thus far.
I agree completely. I believe conventional medicine isn't always the answer.

Obviously, I didn't do a thorough job of explaining my main resistance to such topics: SALESPEOPLE. I will do the research into alternative healing methods, and try them if I think they might be beneficial. No problem there. Especially if I think they can work better than traditional medical practices, and even more especially if they appear to be a cheaper alternative. I really can't afford to go to the doctor very often, and avoid it as much as I can.

Where I resist and cast a skeptical eye is in those situations where the person suggesting such a cure/panacea is also the person trying to SELL me the product.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsqueezer View Post

Where I resist and cast a skeptical eye is in those situations where the person suggesting such a cure/panacea is also the person trying to SELL me the product.
So the fish oil salesman...as opposed to that snake oil salesman?

Old 01-13-2012, 10:40 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,474,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Probiotics; are enzyme that may live in your gut.

I stock powdered: Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus plantarum, and Entrococcus faecium.

Which of these do you use? Are there others that you use?
I typically use one of these two brands of active Probiotics (with Bifido and Lacto bacteria strains for each brand as follows):

Renew Life Ultimate Flora Extra Care (newly named Senior Formula) Probiotics 30 Billion CFU (colony forming units)
10 Probiotic Strains:
Bifido bacteria (for large intestine):
Bifidobacterium lactis
Bifidobacterium breve
Bifidobacterium longum
Lacto bacteria (for small intestine):
Lactobacillus acidophilus
Lactobacillus casei
Lactobacillus plantarum
Lactobacillus paracasei
Lactobacillus salivairus
Lactobacillus rhamnosus
Lactobacillus bulgaricus

Delayed release to pass into the intestine
Refrigeration recommended - 30 Billion CFUs guaranteed until expiration

Nature's Way Optima High Potency 60 Billion CFU (colony forming units)
10 Probiotics Strains:
Bifido bacteria (for large intestine):
Bifidobacterium bifidum
Bifidobacterium breve
Bifidobacterium longum
Bifidobacterium infantis
Lacto bacteria (for small intestine):
Lactobacillus acidophilus
Lactobacillus casei
Lactobacillus plantarum
Lactobacillus paracasei
Lactobacillus salivairus
Lactobacillus rhamnosus

Specially coated capsule to ensure optimal survival in the stomach acid and proper release into the intestine.
Refrigeration required - 60 Billion CFUs guaranteed until expiration

Old 01-13-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
So the fish oil salesman...as opposed to that snake oil salesman?
Probiotics are just as real as Antibiotics. You need Probiotics to live, thus the Greek meaning 'life'. If your body did not have Probiotics you would die...and if your body's level of Probiotics is not in-balance (80%-85% good bacteria versus bad bacteria) you would have medical issues. This is no secret, nor is it snake oil. Ask any doctor or medical school.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:51 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
I keep probiotic powder handy.

When dealing with any mammal it does do wonders for them at times.

I have goats, sheep, hogs, dogs and cats; they all need balanced gut enzymes from time to time.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I keep probiotic powder handy.

When dealing with any mammal it does do wonders for them at times.

I have goats, sheep, hogs, dogs and cats; they all need balanced gut enzymes from time to time.
That is true for any animal, including us humans. Any animal farmer (cows, cattle, etc.) knows how important it is to have the proper level of good bacteria. Without the proper level bad medical issues usually arise. As people get older they usually blame these medical issues on getting older, and oftentimes end up taking medication for ailments when the root cause of their ailments is an imbalance bad bacteria versus good bacteria in their gut and intestines.

I'll give you an example I have seen first-hand of Probiotics correcting a whole mess of ailments... I have a friend that was struggling with Prostate trouble. He was having such a difficult time that his longtime doctor was recommending to him that he have radical surgery to remove it. My friend started a Probiotics regimen after being prescribed antibiotics (which kills both good and bad bacteria) for an infection he had. Low-and-behold the Probiotics regimen corrected his good vs. bad bacteria balance and within a week or so his Prostate troubles started to diminish. Now he no longer has to take Flomax! He no longer has to take medication to control his high cholesterol! He now takes only an Aleve for his osteoarthritic knee pain instead of expensive subscription medication. He no longer suffers stomach pangs and looks like he's 7 months pregnant after eating with a distended and bulging stomach. And there are numerous other ailments he no longer suffers with...all due to finally getting his body's gut and intestine bacteria in-balance. He also has a whole lot more energy, and is enjoying life again as he did years ago.

What most of us (that are aged 50 and older) don't realize is that as we get older our good bacteria levels are harder to maintain without some extra help. The bacteria imbalance sneaks up on people and the side effect ailments (of having a bacteria imbalance) becomes the norm for them. They just think their ailments are due to getting old (aging). Oftentimes that is simply not the case at all - they just don't have the correct mix of good bacteria versus bad bacteria in their stomach and intestines. It's not rocket science, and anything new...and it's certainly not snake oil. Many people think Probiotics is a medication, but that's not true because Probiotics is a dietary supplement. Getting on a Probiotic regimen to correct and enhance an imbalance is inexpensive and cannot do any harm. Chances are good it will give you back your "life".

Last edited by highcotton; 01-13-2012 at 12:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement