Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Take Probiotics For Good Health & Aging?
Yes 14 40.00%
No 18 51.43%
Never heard of it 3 8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 06:10 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times

Advertisements

Oh bother! Between pyramid diets, trendy diets, health nuts, and thousands of personal opinions, many of which are "backed" by pseudo-science and cultish adherences, I prefer to believe that people are a lot smarter than supposed and fully capable of determining healthy dietary habits that support them and their lifestyles.

We consume probiotics because we know they have some benefits and we happen to like them and make them at home. We also eat beef but where we live it's grass-fed and free of hormones and anti-biotics. Most of what we eat is white meat chicken and other fowl prepared multitudinous ways and lots of fish, wild caught and flash frozen. Why? because we like it. Add plenty of fresh greens and whole grains and we're likely doing OK. But if we're not, so be it. At least we'll die with smiles on our faces and not all pinched and wondering how we could die of nothing given our healthy diet and habits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 06:10 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,470,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
No, I do not. A tbsp of apple cider vinegar/day w honey will heal anything.
An apple a day helps too! If you use natural (undistilled) organic, raw apple cider vinegar with the "mother" it's good for you. But, that alone will definitely not correct an imbalance in gut and intestine bacteria.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:47 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,396,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Beef cattle are not allowed any antibiotics within 90-days of butchering. So their systems are totally purged of any antibiotics.

Kraut is preserved in vinegar. Some kraut is done using a hi-salt recipe, otherwise it will be simple spices and vinegar. The vinegar may have been made from 'mother' [mycoderma Aceti] with is not a digestive enzyme. In most cases all traces of mother have been filtered out before the vinegar was used for making kraut.
Sauerkraut is not made with vinegar. It is not preserved with vinegar and vinegar is not added. It is made by souring cabbage--so the name Sauer (Sour) Kraut (Cabbage). It is soured by a fermentation process. I have made sauerkraut in the past. The same issue applies for traditional Kimchi

When, I was a kid traditional sauerkraut was available in the markets and the many numerous German Restaurants. My earliest remembrance, as a child in New York City, is of the sights and smells of piles of sauerkraut next to the steaming linked sausages in the shops. It is also a common sight in Germany.

I know you are well versed in food preparation, as I have enjoyed your many interesting posts. Perhaps you are referring to some canned sauerkraut products where an additional acid is added to stabilize and hold the product. Also, there are products that are preserved (pickled) cabbage in vinegar but that is not sauerkraut. However, fresh chilled traditional sauerkraut is still available in many delis.

These "fresh" sours do have the live cultures which obviously would be destroyed in canning.

Livecontent

Old 01-13-2012, 06:56 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
What is this 'tin of powder'? It can't be live bacteria cultures. Strains? How many CFUs per ?
Lactobacillus acidophilus,
Lactobacillus casei,
Lactobacillus plantarum,
and Entrococcus faecium.

The label lists a bunch of vitamins, and 60 Billion Colony Forming Units per teaspoon.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:58 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times
Quote:
Lactobacillus casei,
Lactobacillus plantarum,
and Entrococcus faecium.

The label lists a bunch of vitamins, and 60 Billion Colony Forming Units per teaspoon.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:00 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Sauerkraut is not made with vinegar. It is not preserved with vinegar and vinegar is not added. It is made by souring cabbage--so the name Sauer (Sour) Kraut (Cabbage). It is soured by a fermentation process. ...
It was my understanding that the 'fermenting process' you speak of is where it makes vinegar mother in the crock.

I may have been mistaken though.

As I have also seen recipes where they called for salts and spices to inhibit the formation of vinegar.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:02 PM

I think it is a big waste of money and a big food fraud to pay more money for products so labeled a probiotics. You can easily get that variety of live cultures in eating a variety of food from many sources, as long as you add enough fresh products. If you want to eat yogurt. there are many reasonably priced yogurts made with natural cultures that are still viable. You can easily make it yourself--cheaply.

You do not need to pay big prices for overpriced and over-processed commercial probiotics. These products are making many people rich and gullible people buy in on this nonsense because they hear the word natural and probiotics. The real sh...t of the manner is that you get enough of it from a daily good diet and do not need the additional Bull Sh...t of this type commercial jargon.

Your body knows enough how to create its own natural "compose pile" in the gut. It needs no help and as long we do not hinder the process with unnecessary antibiotics or added cultures--you will be fine.

Of course you are all free to believe and follow your own path or listen to any lectures on this subject. I choose not to listen to this pedantic lecture from the OP.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 01-13-2012 at 07:12 PM..

Old 01-13-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Lactobacillus casei,
Lactobacillus plantarum,
and Entrococcus faecium.

Okay, just three Lacto bacterias. Does it need to be refrigerated? Does it have a guarantee of 60B CFUs through the expiration date? Does it [even] have an expiration date?

Old 01-13-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
It was my understanding that the 'fermenting process' you speak of is where it makes vinegar mother in the crock.

I may have been mistaken though.

As I have also seen recipes where they called for salts and spices to inhibit the formation of vinegar.

All recipes for sauerkraut use salt. It does prevent other competing fermentations that are harmful to the flavor.That does not inhibit the the lacto-fermentation of sauerkraut. It is not the sour from "vinegar" you are thinking which is acetic acid--the sour is formed by the lacto bacteria which forms lactic acid. Spices are added for flavor.

Livecontent

Old 01-13-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I think it is a big waste of money and a big food fraud to pay more money for products so labeled a probiotics. You can easily get that variety of live cultures in eating a variety of food from many sources, as long as you add enough fresh products. If you want to eat yogurt. there are many reasonably priced yogurts made with natural cultures that are still viable. You can easily make it yourself--cheaply.

You do not need to pay big prices for overpriced and over-processed commercial probiotics. These products are making many people rich and gullible people buy in on this nonsense because they hear the word natural and probiotics. The real sh...t of the manner is that you get enough of it from a daily good diet and do not need the additional Bull Sh...t of this type commercial jargon.

Your body knows enough how to create its own natural "compose pile" in the gut. It needs no help and as long we do not hinder the process with unnecessary antibiotics or added cultures--you will be fine.

Livecontent
Most people do NOT have good daily diets. In addition, it is a known fact that after age 50 the Bifido [good] bacteria level in the colon declines with age without replenishment. Therefore, the question becomes - how does one over the age of 50 best keep the bacteria in the gut and intestines in-balance without making unpopular changes to improve ones diet with probiotic rich foods? The answer is with Probiotic diet supplements. It's not bullsh.t as you suggest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement