Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 07:35 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

It's 10:30 a.m. on a hot summer Friday and about two dozen traders in dull-colored smocks are arrayed in and around "the pit" -- the shallow, rounded trench where cotton futures are bought and sold at the New York Board of Trade. They're watching television monitors displaying cotton prices while waving wildly, shouting out their bids.

It's capitalism in action -- frenetic action.

At one edge of the pit stands a grey-haired, slightly stooped man. He's somewhat more composed than the others and when he barks his orders his voice betrays the hint of a Southern accent. He's been doing this for 30 years, trading for himself in the pit and at its two prior locations in lower Manhattan, including the World Trade Center. The man is Jim Phillips, and at 78, he is the oldest trader on the floor by nearly two decades.

"I love the job, and I love the challenge, and I love the people, and I love the activity, getting up and having to get out of bed," he said.

ABC News: Retire? These Seniors Have Too Much Fun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 05:52 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,855,329 times
Yes it's another one of those news items about people who work into their old age. That's alright for those who want to do that. Some people may have interesting or fun jobs.

I don't think it should be required for people to work into their 70's. That would not be nice at all. Some people just work at a job in order to get by on their paycheck. They don't want to keep working.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:23 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
I'm with you Waterlily.. I loved my job and probably would still be there if they hadn't twisted all us olde timers arms to retire. "you can stay as long as you do the job routine' I figured it was time to go rather than worrying all the time about them looking for a reason to let me go.
I swear I am busier now than I ever was when I worked. I didn't ever think about just staying in bed.. darn all that beauty sleep I missed out on.
I love the freedom, no boss to worry about pleasing and no stress (well except for the dogs driving me crazy) and I can eat lunch whenever I please and be gone for more than an hour..
Retirement is a good thing..

Old 09-03-2007, 11:25 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
[quote=John1960;1414896]It's 10:30 a.m. on a hot summer Friday and about two dozen traders in dull-colored smocks are arrayed in and around "the pit" -- the shallow, rounded trench where cotton futures are bought and sold at the New York Board of Trade. They're watching television monitors displaying cotton prices while waving wildly, shouting out their bids.

At one edge of the pit stands a grey-haired, slightly stooped man. He's somewhat more composed than the others and when he barks his orders his voice betrays the hint of a Southern accent. He's been doing this for 30 years, trading for himself in the pit and at its two prior locations in lower Manhattan, including the World Trade Center. The man is Jim Phillips, and at 78, he is the oldest trader on the floor by nearly two decades.

I was watching the news this afternoon and there was a man who is 106 who still comes to work every day at the western wear store he owns. He just stopped driving last year. He is credited with making a particular western shirt and string ties popular. I believe he said he has a shot of bourbon every three days to keep his blood thin. He was at his typewriter in his office in the store when he was interviewed. I believe the store is located in Denver.

Last edited by Waterlily; 12-07-2007 at 02:54 AM.. Reason: copyright issue

Old 09-04-2007, 11:24 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
I guess if working is what you are passionate about, then you should keep working if you can....to me, unless you have an extremely interesting and diverse job, it would be a very one-dimensional prospect. There are so many things to do, see, learn and experience in this big world - really the list is endless provided you have the time, interest, opportunity, and in some cases, money.

I think there are a lot of people who have known nothing but work for most of their lives and so they have failed to develop a diversity of talents and interests in other areas....as we get older, tackling new things can be intimidating, so what better way to fill your time than continuing to do what is comfortable and fulfilling - work.

Last edited by Cattknap; 09-04-2007 at 12:39 PM..

Old 09-04-2007, 12:45 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
God bless people like that--and the people who write articles making everybody think it's a smart idea (and lotsa FUN) to be a worker bee all your life. The more other people continue working past the age of retirement, the more it's easy for me to retire early. They're happy, I'm happy too.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:25 AM

153 posts, read 1,247,384 times
Granted, there are "some" people who do love their work and have no desire to retire. However, don't believe everything you read or hear. There are also many people who claim they love their jobs when in fact they are too embarrassed to admit they cannot afford to retire - and too ashamed to admit they never saved any money along the way.

We have a woman in her mid-80's at my place of work. She claims she would be bored if she quit work...but, to close friends she reveals that she has to work to be able to eat.

And, there are people who choose to work because outside of work they don't have a life. Some are on their own and don't have a spouse, etc., to spend time with...they are lonely when away from work.

So, there are many reasons for staying on the job way past retirement age...it's not always because they claim their job is pure Heaven. And it is a personal choice...retirement is not a contest.

I think those who brag that they will retire at the age of 55 and live the "golden life" need to stop being so vain. We have one of those at our company...and yes, when he turned 55 he did retire...for about a month. He came back and has been working 30+ hrs a week for over two years and his reason is that the company can't do without him. We keep wondering if he will return all the retirement gifts.

The majority of the ads on TV or in the retirement magazines focus on painting a picture of a couple in their retirement years who look 40 yrs younger playing golf or spending their days on a cruise ship. That is not reality for the majority.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:48 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
I agree with you kansaslady - I think many retirees - especially those who are alone, are lonely and/or need the money so they work. I think if you haven't cultivated a lot of interests beyond work, it is hard for some to figure out what they will do with all the time once they are retired.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:13 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,628,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
It's 10:30 a.m. on a hot summer Friday and about two dozen traders in dull-colored smocks are arrayed in and around "the pit" -- the shallow, rounded trench where cotton futures are bought and sold at the New York Board of Trade. They're watching television monitors displaying cotton prices while waving wildly, shouting out their bids.

It's capitalism in action -- frenetic action.

"I love the job, and I love the challenge, and I love the people, and I love the activity, getting up and having to get out of bed," he said.

ABC News: Retire? These Seniors Have Too Much Fun
Just saw a news piece on Ray Jenkins who is being touted as the oldest worker in America at 101 years old. He says that he has no plan of ever retiring. Makes me rethink being retired at 58 .

Old 01-22-2008, 01:55 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile News, Retire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslady View Post
Granted, there are "some" people who do love their work and have no desire to retire. However, don't believe everything you read or hear. There are also many people who claim they love their jobs when in fact they are too embarrassed to admit they cannot afford to retire - and too ashamed to admit they never saved any money along the way.

We have a woman in her mid-80's at my place of work. She claims she would be bored if she quit work...but, to close friends she reveals that she has to work to be able to eat.

And, there are people who choose to work because outside of work they don't have a life. Some are on their own and don't have a spouse, etc., to spend time with...they are lonely when away from work.

So, there are many reasons for staying on the job way past retirement age...it's not always because they claim their job is pure Heaven. And it is a personal choice...retirement is not a contest.

I think those who brag that they will retire at the age of 55 and live the "golden life" need to stop being so vain. We have one of those at our company...and yes, when he turned 55 he did retire...for about a month. He came back and has been working 30+ hrs a week for over two years and his reason is that the company can't do without him. We keep wondering if he will return all the retirement gifts.

The majority of the ads on TV or in the retirement magazines focus on painting a picture of a couple in their retirement years who look 40 yrs younger playing golf or spending their days on a cruise ship. That is not reality for the majority.
Great post! I have worked 2 jobs plus college at some points during that time for almost 40 years. Due to taking financial care of elderly parents and then children (having them, I mean) - my kids are great! - I am not where a lot of people are so my husband (sweet guy) and I are probably still working (self employed CPA - him; me - I help him plus I am a mortgage broker - honest one) for another 20 years, most likely. We are in a great city (Boca Raton, FL), close to everything and it is beautiful here. We just have to lick our wounds and start over for the gazillionth time. Oh, well. Our kids are happy and we are happy but when I read all the posts....but what I do all day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement