U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 11:29 AM

18,717 posts, read 15,350,475 times

Advertisements

Lewes and Rehoboth Beach are very high on our list of towns to consider. That's one area we have been able to visit (in fact we've done several discovery trips) and we've been pretty impressed. The big challenges, and these are big challenges, is how quiet it gets during the off season and how crazy traffic can get during the summer. Some areas become ghost towns. Seriously, before you decide to move here visit for a week in February to make sure it isn't just a little too quiet for you. The empty feeling can be a little creepy for some people--I kind of like it, but others really get spooked by it.

Some threads you might find interesting:

Looking to retire in the Rehoboth beach area need some advice

Retirement Communities area of Indian River Inlet

101 Questions about Bethany

Living in a Beach Community
Osher Institute of Lifelong Learning,
Beebe Medical Center

There's also a fantastic chat thread for 55+ communities in the Delaware forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 08:29 AM

5 posts, read 2,406 times
In your search for an area to live in you should check out Magnolia, DE. Southern Meadow is in Magnolia and it is centrally located to the beaches and the city. Nice country feel and very easy on the wallet!

Old 03-07-2012, 03:06 PM

23,807 posts, read 19,664,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
re: one more retirement move

Some of you know I moved last year out of suburbia to another house within a (college) town, which I like very much. In many ways this house Iím in is great but it was not bought with a sense of permanence into old age.

Within the next two years, I want to find some kind of living situation that suits me for older ageófor the long haul for the rest of my life. I do not want to live with my kids, and to find what I want I may have to move away from them (out of New England).

I want a housing community that is not based on being old (lol) in the usual way, that is loose enough so I can feel that I donít have to identify with old if I choose not to, and is extremely easy to get around town with option of senior transport.

I really donít want a condo or apt in which I have even more of a sense of isolation (I havenít lived in a building with others since undergrad).

So, I donít want to own anything again, and I donít want an apt in a high-rise building. I wouldnít mind a sort of religious affiliated community of any denomination, if I wouldnít be required to be religious. I am not the upscale/gated community type, nor would I prefer to live in a mobile home park.

What I imagine is some down-home community of contemporary (leased) cottages where people can interact if they want and not if they donít feel like it sometimes. If itís a continuing care village thatís OK and not a bad idea, considering how fast time flies. Anything on either coast is probably too pricey for me, and I do not want to live either in a city or tiny suburban town.

So this is the riddle: where is this?
From what I can tell from your many posts your answering this question will give you plenty of adventure and fun finding that location. You will find it when you find it and you will know it when you find it.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:46 PM

12,260 posts, read 8,406,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineStewy View Post
In your search for an area to live in you should check out Magnolia, DE. Southern Meadow is in Magnolia and it is centrally located to the beaches and the city. Nice country feel and very easy on the wallet!
I like the name of the town called Little Heaven, just south of there. What are these two towns like?

Old 03-12-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I like the name of the town called Little Heaven, just south of there. What are these two towns like?
Little Heaven is about 10 minutes away from Magnolia it is a cute little town.....when are you visiting DE?

Old 03-27-2012, 11:09 AM

Little Heaven is a very small town in DE. Magnolia is also small but easier access to the stores, post office and dining. Definitely country living and if you are from a big city it is a wonderful change!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement