Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2012, 01:40 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Oh thanks for placing me on the San Andreas fault.

Elk Grove looks like a nice place with lots of reasonably priced fine homes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Nope! Elk Grove is a souless subdivision and bedroom community for Sacramento, bordered on the north side by South Sac which is ghetto, barrio and gangsta banger heaven.
By the way, the foothill, gold country town of San Andreas, a bit north of Murphys, has withstood the test of time since the mid-1800s. Mountains and foothills seem to absorb and withstand earthquakes just fine or there wouldn't be any left. Ya might get a rumble now and again but you won't fall into the Pacific Ocean.
I'm with Mr. C.; I would be willing to live atop San Andreas without any protection before I move to Elk Grove. Though one of my friends lives in Elk Grove all her life and she loves it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 03:05 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
I'm with Mr. C.; I would be willing to live atop San Andreas without any protection before I move to Elk Grove. Though one of my friends lives in Elk Grove all her life and she loves it.
So much for internet research; just goes to show it's only one leg of a 3-legged stool in searching for your place.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:18 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLamar View Post
Well, few places are completely safe. Consider the tornado danger in Missouri, for example.
WHAT? We have tornadoes in Missouri?

Old 02-14-2012, 08:32 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,820,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That is not true about fracking in the Finger Lakes. There are watersheds that are off limits in Upstate NY, including the Syracuse area watershed. Ithaca isn't considered to be in Western NY. Some say that it is either in the Finger Lakes, Central NY or the Southern Tier subregions.

Also, none of this is written in stone. So, don't let any of this scare you.

Another thing is that not all Great Lakes metros are deteriorating and take a look at unemployment rates. Even recent census figures show growth in many of those metros. Trust me, I currently live in such an area.

Also, keep the other communities I posted in mind, as they offer various vibes and many, if not all of them offer some form of public transportation. For instance, I attended SUNY-Oswego and they had bus service and cheap taxis that ran very late(buses did run until 2 AM and the taxis may have ran even later). It is on Lake Ontario, about 40 minutes Northwest of Syracuse, but it can get its share of snow. Nice, small, historic city of about 18,000 though.

The Official Web Site of the City of Oswego

CENTRO OF OSWEGO,CENTRO of OSWEGO Schedules,Oswego Fares,Campus Corner,Laker Shuttle,Commuter Lot Shuttle,Accessible Transportation,Special Events

Thanks for the info. I learned about the fracking issues on the NY forum on CD, and from what I understand, it's working its way through the state legislature.

Re; Great Lakes metro areas, I've lived 45 miles west of Detroit for the last 30 years, and I can tell you there are only a few pockets of prosperity in SE Michigan, and they are few and far between. You mentioned you live in "such an area." Are you living in Michigan, if so, what area? Your location seems to be listed as Syracuse on CD.

I grew up in upstate NY and attended college in Rochester and Buffalo, so I'm somewhat familiar with parts of the state, and very familiar with the snow , though on my visits back there over the years, many upstate areas have changed, and in some areas not for the better, with the loss of manufacturing jobs, etc.

At any rate, I have looked at the Finger lakes region and will do further research re: the fracking. There are some nice historic towns in NY, that's for sure. I would be looking at the availability of healthcare facilities, internet, etc., along with cost of living, cost of Medicare supplemental plans, and availability of doctors who are accepting new Medicare patients. Lots to think about and thanks for your post.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:03 PM

93,315 posts, read 123,941,088 times
I'm in Syracuse and many areas are in a state of transition in terms of going from manufacturing to more service, health care, insurance/risk management and higher education jobs. There are some tech jobs as well. Here's a great website to look at: Central New York Jobs

Here's another one you may like: New York's Creative Core

This may be an example of a place that you may want to look into: http://www.schcny.com/

Old 02-15-2012, 05:56 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm in Syracuse and many areas are in a state of transition in terms of going from manufacturing to more service, health care, insurance/risk management and higher education jobs. There are some tech jobs as well. Here's a great website to look at: Central New York Jobs

Here's another one you may like: New York's Creative Core

This may be an example of a place that you may want to look into: Syracuse Community Health Center
What is the difference btwn Syracuse and Schenectady? I always confuse the two. Schenectady is smaller and better heeled?

Last edited by RiverBird; 02-15-2012 at 06:06 AM..

Old 02-15-2012, 06:53 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
senior living, Becketwood Cooperative Home with cottages... (MSP... brrrrr)

We (locally in PNW) are having a community meeting this weekend regarding your topics (cottage community w/ gardens / community space with commercial kitchen greenhouse and guest qtrs,)

Uplands might be for you (not me, I had a rotten visit) Home

The pic show old cogers, but there are plenty of 55 - 60 yr olds in each place. Generally they are MARKETING to the older folks who are past their prime to really take advantage of the community. (And most DO WAIT TOO late...) Undoubtedly they all proclaim; "best place I've ever been, wished I would have done it years ago..." (I have interviewed many).

I am a 'Homestead' kinda person., but I will definately adhere to a broader community experience... I.E. small town / stores / food / services... Rural Cooperative Housing for Older Adults: An Emerging Challenge for Extension Educators

My dad had a GREAT village to age in... A State VA Home (several levels of care). Bus service every hour, free senior passes for Bus and Ferries, stores, dining halls (all open to the public), beautiful grounds / view of Puget Sound, QUIET (Except for Ferrie whistle every 2 hrs) Are you a VET?
Sounds "Active Adult" to me, I tried that once, what a disaster

Old 02-15-2012, 06:58 AM

93,315 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
What is the difference btwn Syracuse and Schenectady? I always confuse the two. Schenectady is smaller and better heeled?
They are about 2 hours apart, Syracuse is bigger than Schenectady and Schenectady is a part of the Albany-Schenectady-Troy metro area. Both have a blue collar and a white collar vibe to them in certain parts due to and industrial and higher educational history.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
If you can handle the state's constant governmental kabuki and property values (now's a good time to buy), you might want to look at Murphy's, CA. It's a foothill, gold country village with great amenities, a thriving artist colony surrounded by vinyards, forgiving weather and historic charm.

Murphys, California - Queen of the Sierra
Foothill my butt, the road over Ebbets Pass is usually closed from September to May. I drove over in June once and the snow was higher than my Bronco. You will spend a lot of time honkered down waiting for the Snow Plow. Luckily coming down from over 11,000 ft didn't take much gas

Old 02-15-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
Problem with Elk Grove is forclosures, on some streets half of the houses are vacant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement