U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 02-04-2012, 12:05 AM
 
Location: We_tside PNW / CO / SA TX / Thailand
10,469 posts, read 16,582,630 times
Reputation: 7338
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
.... we learned then South Dakota was the way to go as a "resident state."
The OP is from TX, it is one of the preferred domicile states as well.

couple other items...
5r's restrict your ability to bring a toad (towed car / jeep). Ironically 5'rs are more suited for longterm destinations / central based exploring (where you can really use a toad). Look at your interests for recreation. The jeep or equiv would be very nice in the UTAH national parks. I like having one of my 50 mpg 'StealthRabbits' for cruising places like Blue Ridge Parkway, NE fall colors, side trips in National Parks, Curvy Mtn highways that are fun to race along, a quick trip into a metro area, or random antique stores / garage sales / fruit loops /regional tours...

I find I do lots of U-turns when I'm exploring as a 'retiree'... (no time / destination constraints).... a bit tough with a 5r.

It can be a good idea to buy a used membership to a camping resort chain. ($1200 vs $25k new). There are some older 'Platinum' level memberships which allow 365 days / yr in park. The newer terms restrict you to 14 days in and 10 days out (That can be expensive and troublesome). You want to find a resort that has places available where you plan to travel.

Some folks who seemed really happy about their travels were doing the econo-mode... used class C (~$5,000-$15,000) and workamping at National and State and County Parks.http://www.work-camping.com/
http://www.work-for-rvers-and-camper...ping-jobs.html

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 02-04-2012 at 12:57 AM..
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-04-2012, 03:26 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
8,592 posts, read 5,962,651 times
Reputation: 14600
I've always found it strange that people think they need a motorhome or travel trailer to do extensive road travel and see the country. For the enormous cost of entry plus the hook-up fees it would be less expensive to stay at motels and supplement that with tent camping. I took a six-week car trip in 2006 that was just wonderful. The rough itinerary (skipping a lot of the details) was Los Angeles, Oregon, Canadian Rockies, Edmonton (Canada), Kansas City, St. Louis, Amish country in Ohio, Buffalo (New York), Washington D.C., Blue Ridge Parkway, Baton Rouge (Louisiana), Little Rock (Arkansas), Dallas, and home to Los Angeles. I visited relatives, old friends, museums, etc. and had a great time.

I do see two advantages to the motorhome/travel trailer route, though: Those who like doing their own cooking can do so (I do not), and there is a lot of socializing with fellow travelers at the RV parks that one just doesn't get at a motel.

One great advantage to car travel, provided one really likes to drive, is that the mountain roads offer such a pleasure. However, that pleasure sometimes turns to frustration when you get stuck behind somebody in a motorhome/travel trailer who doesn't mind the gross inefficiency of lugging one's dwelling all over the country. Apparently they don't mind clogging up the roads for other users either.

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that there are other options for seeing the country.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2012, 05:30 AM
 
Location: State of Superior
7,930 posts, read 7,546,763 times
Reputation: 2176
Well folks, I have done it all. Bottom line, there is nothing better than a diesel pusher, 38 to 42 ft., but, I was a trucker ,vintage car hauler/hobby foy 25 years. With my 38 ft, +three axel enclosed trailer I was 78 ft long. No real problems,wr tried to dry camp when we could, and a lot of Wallmarts. There is something about having all in one unit. Fifth wheels are for doingbit on the cheap, which I am looking into these days, but I would go there and park it most the time ( like snowbirds) and drive my dodge diesel everywhere.
The other way to go is living aboard a boat. We did that for 5years off Florida coast, mostly on anchor.was the cheapest way to go ( big sailboat)'. I paid 100'000 for my 44 footer, loaded with everything plus AC, and a small inflatable/Honda scooter for going a shore anywhere. After 5 years( 1980 to1985) I sold the boat for quite a bit more than I paid for it, due to inflation at the time, if you remember. I built with cash a small modern beach house on a deserted island in the Gulf. Lasted 6 months, sold it for 3 times my build cost, then moved to Nc mountains,built a high tech cliff house with a killer view...lived there 18 years. Lots of the motorbike/car hobby all started there. Now after 25 years, I just finished my final bucket list build, glass home on a mountain top in the UP over looking 50 miles of .lake Superior.
It's been a great time and a learning experience traveling all parts of North America, I regret little, but then, I did have my bucket list, I had few choices., would do it all over again, ., more to come, I hope. Since my retirement 6years ago have authored several books. Look for "Open roads" for starters.....the full story is in the works,.... listen, there is a book in everyone, it's getting out the words thats the hard part.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2012, 05:38 AM
 
Location: The front porch outside of the Astral Plane
13,990 posts, read 8,075,289 times
Reputation: 23462
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
I am thinking about retiring and buying diesel and 5Th wheel and see the country.
I want to spend about 40,000 on the RV and 35000 on the truck to pull it
Am i waisting money ?
Do i need to keep a home base or should my home base be where I am?
I also think I'm might have lost my mind
Any Advice on the RV life?

Personally I would not get the RV and 5th wheel, I would do a motor home. Legally I believe you have to have some sort of physical address so you could maybe use a family members address? If you have no debts and don't get mail it shouldn't be an issue. I don't think you have lost your mind at all, we are going to purchase our motor home in March and live in it while we build our home then travel after we retire however, we will still keep our home and not sell it. The plan is to have the propery and home paid for before the building is completed since we will be paying as we go. No credit or loans, cash for everything. Hence the reason we are going to live in the motor home as we build.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2012, 05:42 AM
 
Location: Florida
2,062 posts, read 1,931,317 times
Reputation: 4201
I have a motorhome never full timed but have gone on 90 day excursions. For me, I prefer RV's over motels. I know who slept in my bed last night, I have a kitchen and a nice awning to sit under. Plus my 2 dogs are much happier in the RV rather than a motel.

I tow a car and do not clog up the highways, I park my motorhome and sightsee in my car.

If this is something you want to do...do it...if you find that you want a home base, there are many mobilehome parks that are designed for RV'ers. They have
large covered parking areas attached to the mobilehome, I have a friend who lives in one and just loves it!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2012, 08:17 AM
 
Location: State of Superior
7,930 posts, read 7,546,763 times
Reputation: 2176
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Personally I would not get the RV and 5th wheel, I would do a motor home. Legally I believe you have to have some sort of physical address so you could maybe use a family members address? If you have no debts and don't get mail it shouldn't be an issue. I don't think you have lost your mind at all, we are going to purchase our motor home in March and live in it while we build our home then travel after we retire however, we will still keep our home and not sell it. The plan is to have the propery and home paid for before the building is completed since we will be paying as we go. No credit or loans, cash for everything. Hence the reason we are going to live in the motor home as we build.
This is a good time to buy a Motor Home. You can get some reall good deals on used models. Most of the Motor Home Companies have gone thru Bankruptcy and or mergers.That makes for even better deals.A 300,000 high end diesel Pusher can be found in like new cond for less than 120,000. many people make the mistake of going too small because of up front cost.They soon find that for drive anywhere, wind, rain, storms and desert heat, a Quality Diesel is much more comfortable, its like driving your favorite arm chair.They will last forever if you buy high end. There are some good deals on gas models, but I think you may be throwing good money away, as , soon enough you will " trade up".. Thats where it gets costly.. The market is coming back, prices are going up, used and old, act quickly. A few years ago the Huracane in New Orleans sucked up all the used stuff, now a lot is baqck on the market. Shop wisely !
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2012, 08:51 AM
 
8,233 posts, read 10,892,213 times
Reputation: 5913
I have been thinking about a motorhome for vacations because I never go anywhere without Jack the Cat. The problem is where to put it when not in use.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2012, 09:09 AM
NCN
 
13,933 posts, read 11,363,415 times
Reputation: 15896
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
I am thinking about retiring and buying diesel and 5Th wheel and see the country.
I want to spend about 40,000 on the RV and 35000 on the truck to pull it
Am i waisting money ?
Do i need to keep a home base or should my home base be where I am?
I also think I'm might have lost my mind
Any Advice on the RV life?
We had a friend whose parents did this and ended up living with them later on because they got totally bored living in the huge camper. If you want to see the United States I have a suggestion for you.

Buy a really cheap timeshare that has RCI connections. RCI has last call weeks that will let you weekly rent off season timeshares at less than $300 per week. Some of these weeks run together. An added bonus on many is a weekly cleaning. How is that for taking it easy away from home. Cleaning is extra on some of the others.

I have been trying to talk my husband into doing this. Anything smaller than 2 bedrooms makes me feel closed in. If you or a friend have access to RCI, you can do a search for last calls or extraholidays for cash. Extra Holidays by Wyndham - United States Vacation Condo Rentals is open to just anyone online. Some places are cheap and others are expensive but the last calls right now only go to $294 per two, three, or four bedroom. I don't know about you, but I like off season better than being there when everybody else is there.

I am not talking about RCI points. I am talking about owning a really cheap timeshare that is connected to RCI. We looked at one timeshare in Myrtle Beach that was only $4,000 for Christmas week. It was also connected to RCI by exchange. That would get you to the website to see the "last calls." That way you would always have a place for the children to come see you at Christmas.

Also, RCI is not limited to driving places. They have places all over the world plus ocean voyages. No I don't work for these people. I just enjoy checking out options. Some people pay more than $1200 per month rent. I had been trying to figure out how to rent a furnished place in every state for one month at a time when I happened to see the "last call" feature on our RCI website that we have because we own a timeshare.

Last edited by NCN; 02-04-2012 at 09:29 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2012, 09:10 AM
Status: "Campaigning 4 State House" (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Mid-Town
7,337 posts, read 9,260,631 times
Reputation: 4971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
I also considered RV life but came up with three problems. Too expensive for me to afford, I don't want to live in a crackerbox, I'd get too bored spending many days just hanging around an RV park.
It can be affordable when compared to mortgages or rent payment.
With slides the units are not really cracker-jacky
Who says you have to stay around the RV park? My wife and I set up and after that we only sleep there eat breakfast and sometime dinner--other than that we are out exploring.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2012, 09:28 AM
 
Location: State of Superior
7,930 posts, read 7,546,763 times
Reputation: 2176
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
We had a friend whose parents did this and ended up living with them later on because they got totally bored living in the huge camper. If you want to see the United States I have a suggestion for you.

Buy a really cheap timeshare that has RCI connections. RCI has last call weeks that will let you weekly rent off season timeshares at less than $300 per week. Some of these weeks run together. An added bonus on many is a weekly cleaning. How is that for taking it easy away from home. Cleaning is extra on some of the others.

I have been trying to talk my husband into doing this. Anything smaller than 2 bedrooms makes me feel closed in. If you or a friend have access to RCI, you can do a search for last calls or extraholidays for cash. Extra Holidays by Wyndham - United States Vacation Condo Rentals is open to just anyone online. Some places are cheap and others are expensive but the last calls right now only go to $294 per two, three, or four bedroom. I don't know about you, but I like off season better than being there when everybody else is there.

I am not talking about RCI points. I am talking about owning a really cheap timeshare that is connected to RCI. We looked at one timeshare in Myrtle Beach that was only $4,000 for Christmas week. It was also connected to RCI by exchange. That would get you to the website to see the "last calls." That way you would always have a place for the children to come see you at Christmas.
Most of the time shares are worthless. You see the ads on TV everyday looking to " take over your payments for free". Thats probably a scam also.There is something about your own place, even if it is on wheels. You sleep in your bed, your other facilities, eating,TV lounging, and when you are tired of one place,disconnect a little, roll the awning in and take off ! There are remote places in Canada and Alaska where lodging is hard to find in season. Your choices are few, but the adventure is sweet !
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top