U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 05:38 PM

12,069 posts, read 4,552,327 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about retiring and buying diesel and 5Th wheel and see the country.
I want to spend about 40,000 on the RV and 35000 on the truck to pull it
Am i waisting money ?
Do i need to keep a home base or should my home base be where I am?
I also think I'm might have lost my mind
Any Advice on the RV life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 06:15 PM

7,698 posts, read 10,494,822 times
Depends on what cash you have available. We have a $10,000(paid $4000) diesel and a $10,000 (paid $6,000) 5er. And we are perfectly happy with our decision. We are not fulltime, but close to 60%. We bought based on what would work for us and still leave some money in the bank.
It might be that the $80K is a great set up for your needs. We would rather spend less than $25K and use the rest for fuel costs...

You wil need a "base" as an address for license and plates and insurance. There are lots of places to get info including Escapees. Search the internet.
Personally, we do not believe you are crazy. I just wish we started planning earlier in life...

Old 02-03-2012, 06:36 PM

16,125 posts, read 16,236,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
I am thinking about retiring and buying diesel and 5Th wheel and see the country.
Am i waisting money ?
It's a great experience. My husband and I traveled for 3 1/2 years and we had a good time doing it. At first we sold everything including our house and hit the road. It wasn't long before we wanted a home base...so we bought property in TN and stayed there for the summers and went to FL for the winters.

If I was starting out now, I would recommend going as inexpensive and reliable as you can. Buy used.

It was a fun experience and I never tired of changing locations. I did get very tired and disappointed by the parks and the prices. We now have a home in TN and a small class B. We love to take that on road trips...that's good enough for me

Have fun though. You only live once so if you want to do it..then go for it

Old 02-03-2012, 06:52 PM

12,069 posts, read 4,552,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
It's a great experience. My husband and I traveled for 3 1/2 years and we had a good time doing it. At first we sold everything including our house and hit the road. It wasn't long before we wanted a home base...so we bought property in TN and stayed there for the summers and went to FL for the winters.

If I was starting out now, I would recommend going as inexpensive and reliable as you can. Buy used.

It was a fun experience and I never tired of changing locations. I did get very tired and disappointed by the parks and the prices. We now have a home in TN and a small class B. We love to take that on road trips...that's good enough for me

Have fun though. You only live once so if you want to do it..then go for it
I want to see the country before its my time to depart the planet.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:57 PM

16,125 posts, read 16,236,695 times
Quote:
I want to see the country before its my time to depart the planet.
Then you should go for it.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:02 PM

11,268 posts, read 18,932,579 times
Quote:
Am i waisting money ?
This really depends a lot on your tastes / experiences. I have friends and family that have tried them all. (Except a Marathon...similar to what I would choose, tho I would buy a used Silver Eagle Motorcoach).

My mom went through all types + condos in different places. She finally decided she liked her Roadtrek (conversion van) best, and now has a Rialta due to handicap access (I have a Rialta too... +/-, but 17-20 mpg is not too shabby)
Rialta Heaven - Welcome - Rialta Eurovan Camper, VW Rialta Camper, Used Camper Van - personally I prefer to use my 52 mpg Passats and camping + guest homes. ($10/night worldwide), been doing that for over 25 yrs, cuz I like the 'learning-from-others' experience as much as the trip / destination.
I also Fly/drive a LOT... $89 fare, $10/day rental car; $10 lodging, and eating at grocery for $3/day.

The complaint I hear most about 5r, is the time it takes to get in and get setup for the night. But what folks really like is having extra wheels and a semi-permanent home with enough space to live. I have way more than a few irate couples, barking at each other over trying to pull the rig into a spot. I travel dawn till dark, 'Setting' up and taking down would lose me 3-5 hrs / day of adventure (and nap) time. My mom only lasted in a 5r one yr, she went back to a motorhome ~32' Sportscoach tandem, very nice ~ $12k. I am not keen on driving a class A (soggy suspension, really poor mileage / tough to service), tho I would certainly drive a Class 8 semi tractor to pull a 5r. One of my friends from Canada has a ramp to drive his smart car up on the semi. He gets 10-12 mpg, ($12k Volvo Semi w/ condo sleeper) which is a LOT better than he got from his NOISY $40k Freightliner Toter. He loves the ease and safety of pulling and braking, as well as having the EZ access to kitchen w/ double bunks, TV, Microwave, fridge while driving. I have seen really slick 'pull-out' BBQ on class 8's.

I would try a couple options on for size, realizing you will PROBABLY change you mind. (Thus DO NOT get stuck with depreciation.) There are tons of great deals on 'immaculate' used RV's. I bought my Rialta in TX, and it took me 6 months to get it to PNW (that is becasue it was RAINING in PNW), and I enjoyed the SW USA. I would conveniently drive to a CHEAP airport, park in a single stall, and fly home once / month to feed the dog and check the fence line / pasture.

Do spend some time at Escapees. website They offered classes once / yr to help folks decide. Let my know, I have friends that were instructors for Escapees. (That friend used a 5r and pickup for ~ 10 yrs, now has chosen a condo at the beach, and still has 5r at a nearby resort where he owns the lot).

I am buying places in desireable places in TN, TX, CO, WA that have a shop and ~ 5 RV hookups + community kitchen and rec room / gardening. I will have an apartment for me at each place, as well as one of my 50 mpg cars to share. Each place will have a primary tenant who will pay rent and keep the place up. These are each close to airport and I will fly around to whichever one seems to have the best weather, or needs a few projects done.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:05 PM

5,154 posts, read 2,023,331 times
I also considered RV life but came up with three problems. Too expensive for me to afford, I don't want to live in a crackerbox, I'd get too bored spending many days just hanging around an RV park.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:24 PM

1,489 posts, read 1,967,396 times
I'll give you a few tidbits that I have come across. For a full-timer, I would seriously look into South Dakota as a "residence' state. No income tax and low sales tax and mail forwarding services. I know more people that have gone 5th wheel to self-contained than the other way around. I know people that have blown transmissions hauling a big 5th. When you do the math, it is incredibly easy to be technically overloaded hauling a big 5th and a 1-ton and I see people doing it with 3/4-tons all the time. I was looking at a F-450 if going the 5th direction. To me there is a size that feels like you could live in it and that is 35' and above. I think for $75K you should be able to get a nice setup, assuming used of course. If I alreay had a big truck I would look more at 5ths, since I don't I am holding out for a Class A diesel pusher.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:09 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,335,263 times
Go for it! As noted, buy used if possible (usually is, we bought new for non-economic reasons). We spent most of two years running around the US in a Class B while keeping our house. It was a blast!

Not for us on a permanent basis but I would highly recommend anyone to try it as a way to see the country. It was grand adventure and truly the only way to appreciate how darn huge and diverse this country really is. Happy trails.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:17 PM

9,230 posts, read 5,207,486 times
We tried it when we retired and did the 'snowbird' number in Florida and Texas. We did not sell our home. We really enjoyed our travels, met so many nice people and got to see the country. After a few years we both got tired of it. It is expensive but worth the adventure. But I am glad we didn't sell our home.

Our neighbor just lucked up buying a 2011 F350 tandem that has the 5th wheel connection in the bed ... the truck has 6000 miles on it. The seller and his wife bought the 5th wheel and truck and camped one time and hated it!! Sold the camper separate and our neighbor came along and made the guy an offer and the guy accepted.

Elousv is correct, when we first started I would notice all these people from South Dakota ... talking to the people they would be from New Jersey, New York, the new England States but they would have South Dakota tags ... we learned then South Dakota was the way to go as a "resident state."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement