Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 06:24 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,040,011 times

Advertisements

We are moving again in 14 days. In the last few years, we have been living at 26 ft above sea level and right on a moving body of brackish water. In two weeks, we will live at 6,772 ft elevation. We will be moving 2,600 miles across the country -- not as much as the move 12 years ago, which was 6,500 miles across the world as the crow flies. Still, this move is not unimportant because we have never lived on the mountains before.

I do not trust that this will be our last move. The course of our lives has never been the way we thought it would be, so we try not to plan too far ahead of time, but whether we will live in our next home for more than a few years, I am stoked about the experience (actually, I am always stoked about new experiences. I have yet to feel jade about life.) Retirement has been one adventure after another for us, and I am very thankful for that.

Do you feel very excited about a move or big change in your retirement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 06:52 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,340,931 times
Enjoy! We looked upon of retirement move of 2,000 miles as a grand adventure and it was and continues to be. I believe it's my 34th home since birth so uprooting and moving has always been a big part of my life. It's also been exciting, adventuresome and educational.

Best of luck with yours.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:20 PM

4,782 posts, read 10,547,554 times
We live at only 5,000 ft, but I would suggest it will take a few weeks to acclimate fully to that altitude, esp coming from sea level.
Almost any activity other than sleeping will be a bit more strenuous than you are used to. Many newcomers to 'elevation' note headaches, and shortness of breath.

In a couple/few weeks your body, esp lungs, blood, etc., will adapt, but don't push too hard initially, imo.

Enjoy, and I am envious, as we saw some wonderful sights at 7-12,000 ft level this past summer on a car trip.
GL, mD

Old 02-05-2012, 09:00 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,428,714 times
Since we do not live where either of us grew up - we are very much planning to move in 10 years after I have retired.

Risk taking is a learned art. Once you've done it - successfully - doing it again is a breeze. But you have to keep at it - or you'll get rusty.

We will have been in this place 24 years when we do move. I'm not looking forward to the physical move and the decluttering of what our life has become here - but the actual relocation will be wonderful.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
I'm not looking forward to the physical move and the decluttering of what our life has become here - but the actual relocation will be wonderful.
My husband had the decluttering, packing, and organizing long distance move down to an art since our four moves ago. He had all the packing and padding materials and uniform size boxes ready months ahead of time, then when each item was wrapped, padded, and boxed, he entered it in the appropriate three-copy detail list (one copy inside the box, one outside the box, and one in a three ring binder). Boxes were categorized to rooms and purposes. Everything was done two weeks before the actual move, including the throughout cleaning of the old place. It's very strange watching him doing this, especially since he is the epitome of type B with all the personality traits of an old California beach bum (in the best way, of course ).

My part? Hold the tape and scissors.

During each move (as in every cross-country road trip), I listened to audiobooks, knit, and slept. He drove mostly in silence, and told me when I woke up, "You missed all the scenery."

We are a good team.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:18 PM

379 posts, read 530,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
We are moving again in 14 days. In the last few years, we have been living at 26 ft above sea level and right on a moving body of brackish water. In two weeks, we will live at 6,772 ft elevation. We will be moving 2,600 miles across the country -- not as much as the move 12 years ago, which was 6,500 miles across the world as the crow flies. Still, this move is not unimportant because we have never lived on the mountains before.

I do not trust that this will be our last move. The course of our lives has never been the way we thought it would be, so we try not to plan too far ahead of time, but whether we will live in our next home for more than a few years, I am stoked about the experience (actually, I am always stoked about new experiences. I have yet to feel jade about life.) Retirement has been one adventure after another for us, and I am very thankful for that.

Do you feel very excited about a move or big change in your retirement?
Ol' Wanderer, congratulations on your upcoming move! I can hear the excitement in your voice Best of luck in the move and hope everything goes smoothly.

Do you care to share where this adventure is taking you, and what made you decide to choose that location? Just curious is all, don't mean to be nosy.

tngirl

Old 02-05-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngirl205 View Post
Ol' Wanderer, congratulations on your upcoming move! I can hear the excitement in your voice Best of luck in the move and hope everything goes smoothly.

Do you care to share where this adventure is taking you, and what made you decide to choose that location? Just curious is all, don't mean to be nosy.

tngirl
We will be moving to a small ski town in Southern CA. The house/cabin has been in my husband's family for four decades (we were originally from the coastal area of OC.) We have never seriously thought of moving there, in fact, up until two weeks ago, we thought we would live in the wine country in Northern CA.

The push for the change of direction came from an unlikely source: the declining of my brother's health. While helplessly watching my own brother slowly dying, I suddenly realized I could sort of making things better by helping my husband's brother's wish come true. Husband only has one brother, his Irish twin, who has been longing for my husband to live close by (two hours in a car is much better than a whole day or two on an airplane.) We have been spending a great part of the last 15 years travelling far and long, so perhaps it would be good to stay put and stay near for a while.

Husband and his brother are very excited with our decision. Financially, it would be great for us since there will not be many expenses living in his family's second home. For me, after spending all my life by the water and in the valley, I am glad to give the mountains a try.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:26 PM

379 posts, read 530,868 times
Default Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
We will be moving to a small ski town in Southern CA. The house/cabin has been in my husband's family for four decades (we were originally from the coastal area of OC.) We have never seriously thought of moving there, in fact, up until two weeks ago, we thought we would live in the wine country in Northern CA.

The push for the change of direction came from an unlikely source: the declining of my brother's health. While helplessly watching my own brother slowly dying, I suddenly realized I could sort of making things better by helping my husband's brother's wish come true. Husband only has one brother, his Irish twin, who has been longing for my husband to live close by (two hours in a car is much better than a whole day or two on an airplane.) We have been spending a great part of the last 15 years travelling far and long, so perhaps it would be good to stay put and stay near for a while.

Husband and his brother are very excited with our decision. Financially, it would be great for us since there will not be many expenses living in his family's second home. For me, after spending all my life by the water and in the valley, I am glad to give the mountains a try.
Well that sounds like heaven!! I grew up in Santa Ana, CA and I remember when we were little kids, a Sunday day trip would be to go to Santa Claus Village at Big Bear. It was like another world for us in a beautiful setting and we loved the snow. That was the only time I was "in" snow as a child. Some fond memories indeed!

Old 02-05-2012, 04:39 PM

798 posts, read 2,720,602 times
How exciting that you will be living closer to family and starting a new adventure!! Good for you! Good luck and enjoy the big change! Do give yourself time to adjust to the altitude though.. it will be a big change!

Old 02-06-2012, 01:23 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,611 posts, read 57,597,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyes13 View Post
....give yourself time to adjust to the altitude though.. it will be a big change!

Get plenty of REST , (lots of water and skin moisturizer*!!) starting with SMALL walks. Hopefully you will not have health issues w/ altitude and enjoy the new abode.

How to Acclimate to High Altitudes | eHow.com
Effects of high altitude on humans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
OA Guide to High Altitude: Acclimatization and Illnesses

BTW: *this stuff really works (And I have tried LOTS of stuff that doesn't)
Healthy Hoof Intensive Protein Treatment 4oz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement