U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-14-2012, 08:47 PM

1,595 posts, read 1,171,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Holding my crystal ball, I forsee all these questioned have been answered in previous postings on this thread by TRosa.

But, to reiterate, I'm just a very old senior in body, I won't be officially senior status for another 14 months + two weeks, then I hit every 55+ discount venue/deal in America. I did call the senior center this afternoon, but thei lines were overwhelmed (probably two other people in wait), auto-operator said to try the lines another time. Tried the taxi route, they nixed that. I only want the drugs for use under the supervision of a physician at a medical facility. Not one to indulge even if I could use the help of such a drug to get a full night's sleep or painless day. Now if they wanna admit me full-time to the hospital and keep me asleep, that I would consider. Nah, nevermind, with my luck, id eventually wake to bedsoars.
Oh I'm sorry I missed it

There has to be something for you I know it's sometimes hard to ask someone for help so I understand your predicament witht he colonoscopy. When I went for my first one they said even a taxi cab would be permitted and that I had to have someone I mnow take me home. My SIL told me when I was supposed to be put under twilight for shots that I shouldn't rely on a taxi either because she feared the taxi driver could take advantage of me. I'm like well I'm sure the hospital wouldn't let me leave until I was fully capable of handling defending myself. She may have a point though I just hate to ask for help and put anyone out. I like the suggestion someone here made about asking a younger co-worker. Problem with that is if you're, like me, not that friendly outside of work, or can't be because of being isolated from them, then they would be put out of their way having to take time off work give you a ride. Now me I want that intravenous drug that put me out when I'm stressed. ha ha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 08:57 PM

2,692 posts, read 2,122,940 times
try care.com

they have all sorts of services. My son got a good babysitter from it. I got a companion/helper for my elderly mother and the day the helper arrived my Mom was ill and the helper took her to the hospital and stayed with her.

so you could set up a helper to take you for colonscopy and stay with you that day. and if you had regular transport needs, you could schedule as often as needed.

So far it is working for Mom and my son.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:02 PM

6,310 posts, read 3,279,359 times
One more person mentions that posterior, I'm gonna swear to the moon.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:56 PM

50,261 posts, read 47,603,261 times
critical to have a hobby even if you are sick.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:07 AM

45 posts, read 33,866 times
theoldnorthstate, thank you so much! I looked at care.com and I see they have people in my zip code who offer transportation for medical services. I would much rather pay someone to pick me up rather than impose on a friend to leave work.

Good luck to you, TRosa. I think we're mentioning c-----scopies because it's the one test that requires anesthesia that doctors are saying everyone over a certain age should have. I know my doctor is really pushing me to have it although I have no family history or other risk factors except age.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:47 AM

6,310 posts, read 3,279,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLamar View Post
Good luck to you, TRosa. I think we're mentioning c-----scopies because it's the one test that requires anesthesia that doctors are saying everyone over a certain age should have. I know my doctor is really pushing me to have it although I have no family history or other risk factors except age.
MsLamar, thank you for the good luck wishes. Really, I'm not that anal about the mentioning of the big C, just some started pulling out the tinker tape and wanting to dedicate a parade day to it with it's own web site for pickups. I too was one that mentioned having a colonoscopy, I just wanted to make sure the real issue didn't get berried that being not having a support system in a variety of instances.

Butt, I agree, I'm glad we've highlighted the subject and hope others will inquire with their doctors about when and if they should bend over anytime soon for the scope. It can be a life saver for many a person that's unaware of what lurks in the colon.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:09 PM

1,136 posts, read 700,844 times
Artangel,

I just saw your thread today and don't have time to read all the posts in it, so please forgive me if my post is redundant and has already been mentioned.

What struck me was your health issues in regards to the loneliness. I have been fortunate not to have experienced much loneliness in my life EXCEPT for a period of years when I was going through some complicated health issues and chronic pain. During this difficult period I had such a hard time doing things with friends, that they sort of gave up. I became isolated and depressed because of those health problems, and it took me until the loneliness became too painful to find a solution. For me, I needed to find others who were experiencing my same level of health issues because i realized people with good health do not understand what we go through and have limited patience and understanding plus they often felt guilty around me because they had such good health and busy active lives.

I was able to find a group through "meetup.com" in my area that was just people with chronic pain and health issues, and I made some wonderful long-time friends from that group. We could laugh, cry, commiserate, and truly help each other because we understood what we were each going though. We planned our outings and activities with much flexibility due to our unpredictible health and often we just did simple activities like watch a movie or chat at someone's house or on the phone. I also made two longtime good friends through a health forum on the internet. It made all the difference for me finding others who understood and were comfortable with what life is like for people with health limitations.

Thankfully, I have almost totally recovered my health, but the real blessing from all those years is that I now have compassion and a deeper understanding for any of my friends when they go through health drama, and I feel I can be a better friend to them now.

Perhaps there is a meetup group like that in your area or a forum with others clearly dealing with health issues and the loneliness it can cause.
Good luck to you!

Old 02-15-2012, 03:22 PM

10,115 posts, read 14,438,136 times
It certainly sounds like a lot of us share the "no one to pick me up after colonoscopy" issue. My health care proxy lives a few streets away, but he and his wife work daytime hours. My builder/neighbor would do anything for me, but he also works during the day, and I didn't feel OK asking him. There is a woman in the neighborhood who does this informal (unlicensed?) transports to and from hospital. There are no taxis in this formerly rural town where I live, not for any amount of money.
Since colonoscopy is recommended to everyone at age 50, I think it's almost a rite of passage for living alone at 50 and onward.
I have always hoped to earn enough money/pension to hire people to do whatever physical things I might need help with. It's not the same as an answer to emotional loneliness, but it sure helps to get the lawn mowed or snow shoveled. (I am currently out of work on workers' comp for yet another back injury caused by a patient jumping on me. I am acutely aware of how much firewood weighs and that there's a 30-pound bag of dog food in the car. But these are physical needs, not loneliness things. If you live alone enough, you certainly get used to the fact that there isn't someone to do errands, carry stuff, pick you up, etc. That doesn't bother me. The lack of close company does.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:26 PM

10,115 posts, read 14,438,136 times
When I was young and stupid (22) and fell madly in love (psychotic-like state) with a young man (23) who I'd known casually for years, it was very 1970s, we were free, blah blah etc.etc. Well, he told me (in his flexible way arrogant pompous ass way), "If you need me, then you don't love me." I thought about it (not realizing that the chemical state of madly in love is chemical and ends/gradates, plus I didn't know I had severe existing depression) and yes, I certainly felt like I needed him. My answer, after some thought, was "I need you * because* I love you," since I didn't go around attaching myself to anyone passing by because I was needy.
I knew more then than I ever knew. (And he's the only person from my past, however distant, who I still hope is doing hard time somewhere).

Old 02-15-2012, 04:47 PM

10,562 posts, read 8,949,909 times
I understand why medical places dont want the liability of letting someone drive herself home or take a taxi after having twilight anesthesia. But some of us have a high tolerance for it and are perfectly capable and alert enough to drive home, especially if the distance isnt great.

Years ago, when I had procedures that required twilight anesthesia and had no one to drive me home, I'd pay my yardman $10 to show up and pretend that he was my friend/ride. Then we'd go out to his car and he'd drive me to my own car in the parking lot, after which I'd get in my car and drive myself home.

Now I use a transport service, much like care.com. It's local here in Houston -- called "Never Alone" -- and they'll do just about anything, from helping dress/undress paralyzed persons who want to live in their own homes, transporting people to medical appointments/procedures, running errands, even taking people to the park for a day's adventure.

But, if I had to rely on someone else, I'd go back to paying my yard man to show up and be my pretend driver again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement