U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 09:41 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times

Advertisements

Today in Western New England in my town:

48 degrees, partly sunny, cool and crisp, no wind
(my best temperature in a best range of 4070 degrees)

Start the day: coffee and orange slices and whole-wheat pumpkin muffin

Morning walk around the park with the perfect dog, and no aches or pains

Go to bookstore in town and browse, buy a book

Come back and sit in front of woodstove, do some client work

(will go to) annual campus greenhouse show

(will have) early supper (salad and salmon), reading, dvd movie

Cannot get much better than that, I'm grateful.

What's your perfect retirement day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 09:52 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,497,588 times
Any day I don't have work to go to.

However, beyond that, any day we can take off for a bit of a trip during the week when there's little traffic and no crowds (I understand some poor souls still have to work for a living) and we can view new scenery and places of historic significance. Tomorrow will be such a day as we drive to the state capitol on the Missouri River, take in the sights, visit the Capitol Building, Governor's Mansion, State History Museum, Military Museum, have a great dinner, spend the night and go see some more before returning home later that afternoon via another town to see something else.

All our morning's start off well with excellent coffee, a healthy fruit smoothie and nothing we have to rush into.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Any day I don't have work to go to.

However, beyond that, any day we can take off for a bit of a trip during the week when there's little traffic and no crowds (I understand some poor souls still have to work for a living) and we can view new scenery and places of historic significance. Tomorrow will be such a day as we drive to the state capitol on the Missouri River, take in the sights, visit the Capitol Building, Governor's Mansion, State History Museum, Military Museum, have a great dinner, spend the night and go see some more before returning home later that afternoon via another town to see something else.

All our morning's start off well with excellent coffee, a healthy fruit smoothie and nothing we have to rush into.
When you drive to Jeff City, be sure to stop at the Missouri Dept of Conservation, where I used to work. After touring the inside, go out back for a walk on the paths and see if you see a reincarnation of Mother Goose and her kids (baby geese) out there...she once almost attacked me - lol - as mother geese are known to protect their goslings. Also, Arrow Rock is a great historic destination with the very top notch Arrow Rock Lyceum Theater - ice cream on Main St the best.

Rocheport, the winery on the Missouri River, a favorite place.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:30 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,877,508 times
Wake up at 7:30, go get paper at end of driveway, pour a cup of coffee,open paper to obituaries, don't see my name. It's a good day already.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Wake up at 7:30, go get paper at end of driveway, pour a cup of coffee,open paper to obituaries, don't see my name. It's a good day already.
haha, love it

but just because you don't see your own name doesn't mean anything....

Old 02-21-2012, 12:16 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,966,925 times
It means your alive if you see the paper at all;good thing. You then can move on to THE question in retirement. "What do I want to do today ".The only set schedule I have is to meet at 2:30pm for coffee with friends at the local coffee/pastry shop and will I order a pastry with my coffee.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:09 PM

14,412 posts, read 7,932,198 times
Which season? Winter: Spend the day skiing or ice skating or walking my puppy chulo in a snow filled park. Coming home to a roaring fire with a cup of tea and a good movie. Spring: Cleaning out flower beds and gardens. Summer : Gardening, riding my bike at least 10 miles, dog beach/dog park with lots of cookies for everyone. Long walks on sultry summer nights. Lots of shorties hanging around because they're bored with out school and I spoil them. Fall: Start shopping for Halloween and decorating for the annual party at our house. Put gardens to rest. In between that traveling, roller skating and working on our dream Victorian restoration in Maine. The key is stay active. I don't like to be idle.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:43 AM

7,340 posts, read 16,650,851 times
Would be PERFECT if wife was home during the day/during the week, but have to wait 'til the weekend for that......she works a full-time job.

Each morning I get up when she does and sit/talk with her until she leaves for work. Walk her out to car and say "goodbye, I love you".......that happens each and every morning during the week!
Cup of coffee, cereal or egg/bacon or sausage for breakfast each morning. Fix us breakfast on weekends or we go out.
Monday is laundry day for me. Do all of our laundry. Do something around our apt., get supper started.
Rest of week......vacuum, dust, run dishwasher, strip bed/wash linens/put bed back together, get supper started (unless we eat out, sometimes), run errands

My wife doesn't have anything to do with the washer/dryer, dishwasher or vacuum sweeper or re-arranging anything in our apt. I do all of that. I will also clean the floors and wash the rugs when needed. Dusting, done by me as well.

Later she will help with this stuff, but while she is working, I do it all and am very glad to.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:42 PM

1,061 posts, read 1,642,055 times
Any day above ground is a good day.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoButCounty View Post
Any day above ground is a good day.
Yeah, living next to a beautiful cemetery certainly makes me think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or