Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 05:44 PM

84 posts, read 223,890 times

Advertisements

I don't. My mother was 18 when she had me.

I was 10 in 1969. Even though I am the oldest, it always feels like I am watching my older siblings play and get in trouble. I've learned a lot from their mistakes

Actually, I'm glad I was born on the tail end and very appreciative of being on the other side of the learning curve.
From smartplanet.com-

"Understanding ‘Generation Jones’ and other mini-generation gaps

They were the Baby Boomers who didn’t make it to Woodstock — because it would have taken them way past their bedtimes.

While much has been made about the heritage of the Baby Boomers, who fomented the hippie counterculture and burned down draft boards, there is actually a larger segment of this cohort — their younger siblings — who more or less missed the 1960s and came of age in the following decade.

And they even have a strange name, these later baby boomers, born between the years 1954 and 1965 — “Generation Jones.” I recently came across a reference to Generation Jones as part of a recent IBM survey on consumer attitudes, and found the differences between them and Baby Boomers compelling.

Jonathan Pontell, who coined the term for this 53 million-member-strong generational segment, describes this generation as stuck “between Woodstock and Lollapalooza.” They didn’t buy into or were too young to understand the Baby Boomer tantrums; yet they were a tad to old to join the Gen-Xers in the mosh pits. Pontell describes their heritage:

So who are we? We are practical idealists, forged in the fires of social upheaval while too young to play a part. The name “Generation Jones” derives from a number of sources, including our historical anonymity, the ‘keeping up with the Joneses’ competition of our populous birth years, and sensibilities coupling the mainstream with ironic cool. But above all, the name borrows from the slang term ‘jonesin” that we as teens popularized to broadly convey any intense craving.”

President Obama and Michelle Obama are members of Generation Jones. Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke is also a member. So is Sarah Palin and Simon Cowell."

Generation Jones - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 07:00 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Decidedly. Absolutely. Irrefutably. Positively.

Born in 1946, heading for my 66th birthday. Not only am I a Boomer, I'm in the vanguard of the Boomers.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:23 PM

698 posts, read 1,051,816 times
not really, as i was born during world war 2. however, i feel i have more in common- values, outlook, memories- with older boomers than i do with those born before world war 2. so i usually align myself with the oldest boomer group.

catsy girl

Old 02-21-2012, 07:44 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
Age is not often the indicator of a generation but to economists. Ones life is more ones time place, experiences, leanings, etc. then a label or an age.

I was born in 42. Married in 63 to my high school honey while in the US Navy (swords and all) and home on leave from Vietnam. I smoked my first joint in Vietnam in 63 and loved it. Was also a submariner along the way. Got out of US Navy and divorced from high school honey in 66. Got in on the tail end of free love, hippies, more dope smoking in late 60's. Arrested as a Vietnam War protester in 71. Remarried in 72 to the women I am married to until this day and we were DINK's. Have not smoked a joint since 75. I leaned left and voted left in life. Did financially OK in life. Retired in 04 at age 62.

My mission in life is to sleep late, play golf, drink, eat, then repeat...so far....mission accompished.

Am I boomer...an aging hippie...I am not sure what I am....but I still lean and vote left...label me as you so desire...LOL

Old 02-21-2012, 07:52 PM

84 posts, read 223,890 times
My mother was born in 1942 and considers herself a boomer.

She did all the boomer stuff like "love-ins",protests,black light posters,cable tables and voted for McGovern. I was taken to most of the "happenings" with her as a kid.

My dad born in 1939 does not consider himself a boomer.

He worked in management,had a key to the playboy club,dated women with beehives, frosted lipstick,go-go boots and voted for Nixon. He was a square.
I was with him every other weekend.
Loved his Tom Jones records lol!

Old 02-21-2012, 08:03 PM

784 posts, read 3,121,079 times
I am a boomer, born in 1948, but I grew up in Scotland, and lived a fairly sheltered life. Other than smoking a little pot in my twenties, I didn't do much that I hear from American boomers. I liked the Beatles and Cliff Richard. No floer power or love ins. Oh dear, such a tame life in comparison. But I have always voted left.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:13 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,946,246 times
Born in 1953 so yes, I would be a boomer. I was in high school from 67-71.

Awesome time in my life: sex, drugs, rock 'n roll.

Still my anthem and it always will be.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:34 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meandering View Post
"Understanding ‘Generation Jones’ and other mini-generation gaps
There was a recent discussion in the Retirement forum about Generation Jones here:

Generation Jones: The Next Retirement Challenge

Old 02-21-2012, 09:36 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
yes i definitely am. but all my admiration goes out to the greatest generation. they were the ones we should of listened to but didn't. that is how we got in this mess.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:45 PM

125 posts, read 228,231 times
I was born during the early sixties, so I guess that makes me a late bloomer funny you mentioned Tom Jones, I recall buying one of his 45 records as a kid. What a voice. Growing up in the sixties was awesome, although too young to partake, it seemed exciting to see first hand the culture change. Perhaps not always for the better but exciting nevertheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement