Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 04:31 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,430,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I love the 70s, still have a VW campmobile in yellow-orange.
I was macrame queen... remember marimekko prints, stretched into a picture to hang on the wall. Danish furniture was big. I remember the rust colored shag rugs. Wicker was big. Pit groups were the couches back then.
I remember playing "pong"
Remember when you had to "warm up" the TV... think "Brady Bunch" when you remember the 70s decor. Orange was big... remember shiny vinyl wallcoverings and shiny vinyl on the kitchen dinette sets?
Sports: tennis was big, and squash. And Disco...
And everyone had the ten speed touring bikes with the ramshorn handlebars we rode around on.
Remember the earth shoes? And the mini, midi and maxi skirts? And go-go boots? I loved the 70s fashions.
I didn't realize how much I like the 70's until I started reading all these notes. Totally forgotten about marimekko stretch prints.
Loved maxi skirts, even had a maxi coat.
Got married in 1977 and our kids now laugh at the powder blue groomsmen tuxes and long sideburns.
Ten speed touring bike, so proud of that.
Remember the first time I saw Pong at my friend's house. Of course we spent our free time in college playing pinball, trying to avoid a tilt.
Our first home, so proud to pick Harvest Gold appliances instead of the "old" Avacado green.
Didn't everyone know how to sew back then too? Talk about a nice trip down memory lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 07:36 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,432,086 times
Sex, drugs, rock 'n roll.
Not all my plants in the house were legal.
Still wear maxi skirts.
Still have long hair.
Robert Plant still makes my knees weak.
Still have a pair of feather and bead pierced earrings - that are actually roach clips. But they haven't been used for years ...

Never made it to Woodstock. Wrong coast. But I used my thumb to get from Los Angeles to Haight-Ashbury. Ah, innocent times.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:07 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
I loved the 1970s for one very simple reason.

It was a very unique period in history: It was after The Pill and before AIDS. Anything goes.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:16 PM

84 posts, read 223,853 times
Puka shell necklace
Jonathan Livingston Seagull necklace

Angle flight pants
Wrap around pants
Deckers fllip flops

Talking Heads
Devo
Jackson Browne
Disco is dead.

TR6
Mustang Mach 1
Firebird Trans AM

quaaludes
Don Juan books
Cheech and Chong

I am a Gen Joneser.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:14 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,430,427 times
I just discovered my new favorite channel on Pandora is Protest Songs Radio. Love it. Growing up on a farm in mid America my friends and I thought we were radical for protesting Vietnam. For the area we lived in, we were but compared to other regions, we were just wannabes.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:37 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
Born in 1946...I had it all! Even the VW bug. Now I have its equivalent...a 14-year old Jeep that I love as much (maybe more) as that little red bug.

I had a houseful of wandering jew plants, most in hanging planters with intricate macrame holders.

Avocado appliances, all bought at scratch-and-dent appliance stores. (I covered the dented sides with peel-and-stick cork tiles, which I thought looked lovely and were quite practical for use as bulletin boards.)

Green shag carpeting, which I raked daily.

Antique furniture from little out-of-the-way mom-and-pop shops, where beautiful items could be bought dirt-cheap.

And I had all this in a lovely 100-year-old house in West Seattle in the 1970's.

Alas, I dont have anything from those days, except wonderful memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellesmama View Post
Hey, all,

How many of you had a houseful of houseplants (the legal kind) in the 70's? I had 72, most of them in my living room, along with the shag carpet, macrame plant holders, etc. My apartment looked like a jungle.
Let's not forget the furniture from the used furniture place, and the wire spool tables.
And, what were those lounge chairs called? Mine was black plush (like a stuffed animal) and was shaped like a recliner with the foot end up - very hard to get in and out of.
Women: remember "consciousness raising groups"?

How many of you who had the old VW bugs are now driving the new VW bugs? (me!)

Sangria? Tequila Sunrise?

Avocado/brown/gold appliances?

Confession time: who STILL has a piece of that time period as part of their decor? I am staring at a long rectangle of wood painted with a vase of flowers from then as I write.

Bellbottoms? Big felt hats with scarves on the brim? Paisley?

Bands: Cream, Purple Haze, The Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Janis, The Doors.

How many went to Woodstock?

Anybody ready to go down Memory Lane?? Let's have fun with this!

Old 02-25-2012, 02:00 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,051,675 times
Had the plants and the macrame.

Had the Trans AM.

Had the stretched Marimekko. Crate&Barrel still sells it, I just covered daughters kitchen chairs with some!

Anyone else have a waterbed???

Old 02-25-2012, 02:04 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Anyone else have a waterbed???

How could I have forgotten? Yes, my daughters and I all had waterbeds! We had them in the early days...when they werent heated. Gosh, were they cold!

Old 02-25-2012, 02:24 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Born in1944, I'm more of a '60s person--Beatles, flower power.

But in the '70s I had the plants all over the place and I was totally addicted to macrame. I loved making intricate plant hangers and buying all the pretty beads to knot into them. I still want to do macrame.

I drove a Toyota Corolla that I bought new for $2000.

Waterbeds--I never had one but I made the mistake of diving onto one only to be bounced off and onto the floor.

I would sit in my living room in broad daylight with candles lit. Had to have candles.

Took Yoga and read books about exotic religions and strange spiritual beliefs.

Had a long sleeved cotton embroidered top made in India that I loved. Had containers that were made in India and were inlaid with mother of pearl or abalone or ivory--never did know what material it was. Made in India carved soapstone things too.

Everyone seemed to have a guru.

I hated shag carpeting, orange everything--didn't like the decorating styles at all.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:28 PM

12,040 posts, read 6,567,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eidas View Post
did anyone live a "Mother Earth" lifestyle??
Oh yeah.
Went totally "back-to-the-land" with help from Whole Earth Catalog, Mother Earth News, Rodale press,....
We were "off the grid" before it was even fashionable. Had some of the first solar photovoltaic cells/panels ever made for home use (1973?). And a funky wind generator for 12 volt so we could listen to music and have REAL light.

I spent many an evening cleaning the black grit out of those glass kerosene lantern tops and many a morning rinsing my alfalfa sprouts in jars with those plastic lids with various size grids as the sprouts grew or you upgraded to the larger mung beans. lol That was pretty high tech back then.....

Had a 1964 Toyota Landcruiser named "Julie" with a canvas top/roll bar but that beat the heck out of our kidneys even on paved roads, and you had to get out of the car and go up to the front wheels and adjust them (in the mud and ice) just to get into 4-wheel drive. Or maybe that was compound drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement