Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2012, 10:02 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,111,505 times

Advertisements

I have a question regarding Social security disability at an older age. I have heard and read but can't find it now that if you become disabled at say 62 or 63 as opposed to just retiring at that age that you recieve your full retirement age or very close in benefits as opposed to a permanently reduced benefit, also that there may be a larger Spousal benefit at spouses full retirement age if one spouse is disabled and other is collecting on their record.

also that while you are collecting the disabilty earlier, that when you read FRA it just switches from Disabilty to Retirement benefits.

Does anyone have any personal experience with this situation and can fill me in? also if anyone can site anything related I would be grateful.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 11:18 AM

5,291 posts, read 5,961,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I have a question regarding Social security disability at an older age. I have heard and read but can't find it now that if you become disabled at say 62 or 63 as opposed to just retiring at that age that you recieve your full retirement age or very close in benefits as opposed to a permanently reduced benefit, Correct.

... also that there may be a larger Spousal benefit at spouses full retirement age if one spouse is disabled and other is collecting on their record. ??? I can interpret this question at least 3 ways. Is the disabled spouse the wage earner? Is the nondisabled spouse a wage earner? Are both wage earners? Are you asking whether SSA awards a greater amount of benefits to a spouse of a disabled wage earner or whether by claiming disability benefits prior to FRA the wage earner can, practically speaking, increase the amount his spouse will receive in benefits when he or she retires? If the former, no, if the latter, yes. Need more info.

also that while you are collecting the disabilty earlier, that when you read FRA it just switches from Disabilty to Retirement benefits. Correct.

Does anyone have any personal experience with this situation and can fill me in? Professional experience only.

also if anyone can site anything related I would be grateful. Social Security Benefits Handbook Online Edition - Chapter Five See, Section 503
thanks
The link is not an official cite, but I have found it to be a reliable source of information.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:40 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,481,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I have a question regarding Social security disability at an older age. I have heard and read but can't find it now that if you become disabled at say 62 or 63 as opposed to just retiring at that age that you recieve your full retirement age or very close in benefits as opposed to a permanently reduced benefit, also that there may be a larger Spousal benefit at spouses full retirement age if one spouse is disabled and other is collecting on their record.

also that while you are collecting the disabilty earlier, that when you read FRA it just switches from Disabilty to Retirement benefits.

Does anyone have any personal experience with this situation and can fill me in? also if anyone can site anything related I would be grateful.
thanks
I went on Social Security Disability 12 years ago which paid Regular Retirement benefits with no penalties, but I had to wait 2 year before I would qualify for Medicare benefits which I have and I am 63 now.

The Social Security Administration told me a long time ago that when I reach the age of regular retirement ( I think it will be when I turn 66 ) that I would be changed over to Regular Retirement Benefits and my benefits would remain the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement