Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 01:44 PM

13,366 posts, read 28,606,308 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind also that if you have grand children there will be restrictions on how long they can visit and God forbid if one had to come and live with you for an extended period of time you will have plenty of grief...have read many horror stories regarding grand parents who for one reason or another had to take on a grand kid for an extended period. Those HOA don't budge

That is the one single reason I don't consider them for retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 05:09 PM

31,672 posts, read 40,904,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Keep in mind also that if you have grand children there will be restrictions on how long they can visit and God forbid if one had to come and live with you for an extended period of time you will have plenty of grief...have read many horror stories regarding grand parents who for one reason or another had to take on a grand kid for an extended period. Those HOA don't budge

That is the one single reason I don't consider them for retirement.
Which supports my previous post the market for them is going to become even smaller as you have less seniors and have to eliminate those with grandchildren under 19. If is/was a great short term concept. Page H10 of todays Washington Post has some spectacular discounts at Del Webb communities in Maryland and Virginia.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:31 PM

8,797 posts, read 21,201,231 times
I had not thought of the resale angle (and the demographics of my babyboomer generation). Thanks for an interesting idea.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:39 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,423,787 times
I woulsn't want to live in a 55 plus community simply because I enjoy living in my own home and having a variety of neighbors of all ages. My home is also parttime home for about five of the grandchildren. Maybe, I am wrong, but moving into a retirement village would probably age me really fast, and I am only 65

Old 09-13-2007, 03:00 PM

13,366 posts, read 28,606,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I woulsn't want to live in a 55 plus community simply because I enjoy living in my own home and having a variety of neighbors of all ages. My home is also parttime home for about five of the grandchildren. Maybe, I am wrong, but moving into a retirement village would probably age me really fast, and I am only 65

I agree 100%

Old 03-01-2009, 07:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,118 times
kansaslady we live in a 55 plus community and are selling our place it is a very nice community in springfield mo. A beautiful patio home at a good price . Maintanance free Patricia Daniels

Old 03-02-2009, 09:04 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,841,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Maybe, I am wrong, but moving into a retirement village would probably age me really fast, and I am only 65
I suppose it's all a matter of perspective.

I have two homes. I kept my old place in Virginia because I have family there, and I bought a place in a retirement community in GA.

Believe it or not, I actually feel much older when I go to Virginia. The neighborhood really isn't designed for a senior, so I have to walk more slowly and carefully on the sidewalks there. That makes me feel old. Since I no longer drive to work I tend to drive a little more slowly--in Virginia my driving makes me feel old. In Georgia I'm just like everyone else, so I don't notice my slower driving and I feel young.

When I go to the gym in Virginia, there are teens who hang out in the parking lot who mock me--not to mention the people inside get frustrated that "granny" is on a machine they want to use.

When I go to the store in Virginia there's always some impatient person standing behind me in line. In my retirement community, nobody's in a rush. Going to the store is a slow-paced, social event for everyone. So going to the store in VA makes me feel older than I do when shopping in a retirement community.

I sympathize with my young Virginia neighbors--I remember what it felt like to be in a rush and have a senior ahead of you in line. But what can I do? I have to be careful when doing credit card transactions because I can lose cards if I just throw them into my purse, and I need to be careful about not making mistakes when signing things. Sad but true, I have had sales clerks who thought they could cheat me, so I've learned the hard way to check things. It makes the people in line annoyed, and that makes me feel old. But as I said, what can I do? The days of just signing a slip of paper, throwing the cards into my purse and dashing off are long gone. And there's always some little kid in line who finds it so-o-o funny to announce the personal care items you're purchasing. That makes me feel old, too.

So even though I love Virginia, everyday activities there can make me feel very old and embarrassed to be old.

I have cancer and various other ailments that hit people as they age. In Georgia, it doesn't make me feel old because everyone here is going through the same thing. We can talk and laugh about it, and I get good suggestions. When I needed a walker last year, someone lended me one. In Virginia, I get sympathy but not empathy. So I just keep that stuff to myself. And that makes me feel old.

Don't get me wrong, I love both homes. But when it comes to feeling old, I feel much older in Virginia than I do when I come back to Georgia.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:43 AM

70 posts, read 262,765 times
Normie,
Can you tell us more about your retirement community? Is there an active singles club? Any cons?
I'll be looking for a 55+ in FL when I retire in July. Financially, this would be my only residence. Sounds like you found a wonderful retirement community. What made you choose this one?

Old 03-02-2009, 01:01 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,841,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrab View Post
Normie,
Can you tell us more about your retirement community? Is there an active singles club? Any cons?
I'll be looking for a 55+ in FL when I retire in July. Financially, this would be my only residence. Sounds like you found a wonderful retirement community. What made you choose this one?
LOL--great question!

I spent about 4 years researching various communities. I made a list of all the things I wanted, and as I narrowed my search I began reading the hometown newspapers online. We even visited a few communities. We went to Hot Springs Village in central Arkansas and The Villages in central Florida a few times. And, of course, I read through a lot of the state forums on city-data. (The archives are particularly helpful.)

It looked like we would end up in Arkansas, and for those who are still in the research phase I have a lot of praise for Hot Springs Village.

Then one day I saw a photo of the mountains in North GA. And I can't explain it, but I knew it was home. Before that moment, Georgia had not been on my list at all. For a long while, I fought the idea...I didn't think I wanted mountain living, but it grew on me. We made two trips to the town, and also read the local paper online. Our little community is smaller than I initially thought I wanted, but the area just "felt right", so finally we took the plunge.

It's worked out very well so far (although, to be fair, we have yet to spend a full year here--seems like we keep sending a lot of time in our Virginia home for a completely unrelated reason).

Old 03-02-2009, 02:08 PM

8,797 posts, read 21,201,231 times
It sounds like a wonderful place, normie and it's nice to hear from you again.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement