U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 04:30 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,521,294 times

Advertisements

I am planning to retire from teaching in Brooklyn this coming June . It has been my dream to move to Portland, Oregon. I'd be moving alone (well, just my cat Gracie & me). Even though I would rather be inside Portland itself , I was thinking about moving to an over 55 community that is a little outside the city because there would be other baby boomers and I would not feel so alone in a new city. Would you all recommend this or would it just be better to buy a condo in the city proper & get rid of my car (I guess. I don't think I would want to drive in a city.)

Does anyone know anything that they could tell me about Portland? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 06:25 PM

7,308 posts, read 15,359,891 times
I wouldn't suggest completely getting rid of a car, even in the city proper (which I'd define, for the sake of convenience, as the area served by both MAX and the Trolley) - unless you're willing to do the Flexcar system, where you basically buy into a rental pool and can rent by the hour or by the day. There's just too much to see around the city that's not really accessible by public transportation.

Of course, finding a 55+ community might mean finding a community that did various group outings, and I know the various Park and Recreation depts. have "senior" outings as well.

Old 09-08-2007, 03:23 PM

Thanks , pnw-gal,
That's why I wanted an over 55 community. For the activities. I am a reticent person who would never venture out by myself , really. I would become a real hermit in a new place w/o formal activities probably. Have you heard of Claremont ? Summerplace? King City (I think that is the name ). Those are some places that I have been reading about.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:34 AM

153 posts, read 1,167,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I am planning to retire from teaching in Brooklyn this coming June . It has been my dream to move to Portland, Oregon. I'd be moving alone (well, just my cat Gracie & me). Even though I would rather be inside Portland itself , I was thinking about moving to an over 55 community that is a little outside the city because there would be other baby boomers and I would not feel so alone in a new city. Would you all recommend this or would it just be better to buy a condo in the city proper & get rid of my car (I guess. I don't think I would want to drive in a city.)

Does anyone know anything that they could tell me about Portland? Thanks.

What is the 55+ community you are interested like? Is it an apartment building, mobile home park, condo/duplex or? If you did sell your call, how would you get to doctor visits, buy groceries, run any errands, etc. Does the community you are focusing on have a van/bus for these purposes? What is the cost of living there? Is there an initial fee due upfront, plus the monthly rent? What all does the rent include? I live near Kansas City and all of the retirement communities in this area are very expensive (they want $250-$300,000 just to move in, and then the residents are required to pay $2-$3,000 per month!!!)...no way I can afford that.

Lots of questions I know. But, I am extremely interested because I am in the same situation you are. I am single and in a few years will be retiring and am also looking for a 55+ community...and like you, have thought about going it without a car of my own. I am also not a highly social person and do not like, or have the need, to be on the go all of the time.

Looking forward to hearing more information.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:47 AM

3,752 posts, read 9,608,178 times
I think we all are talking about different things. There are over 55 totally independent living apartments, condos, etc. Then there are units that are more of a continuing care community (requiring buy in and monthly fees to provide services). There are many options.

I think what you have asked about is an over 55 arrangement that is similiar to Del Webb's planned over 55 communities.

We have considered many of the questions you have raised and especially if moving to a new city, dont immediately get rid of your car. Driving is pretty much the same everywhere (I got stuck driving in downtown Chicago once and lived to tell the tale). There are too many things you will cut yourself off from that you may regret later. It is ok if you want to do it from a point of knowledge about a city but you are making a drastic move and Portland is nothing like metro NYC.

I am looking into either an over 55 community or a large patio condo community where most are retired or close to it. I too would like the neighbors and the potential activities. But dont make any assumptions that they all are friendly or organized or what you want. Do a long long visit or several and talk to the other owners.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:41 PM

I am looking into either an over 55 community or a large patio condo community where most are retired or close to it. I too would like the neighbors and the potential activities. But dont make any assumptions that they all are friendly or organized or what you

Thank you , sweetana. That is probably very good advice. That is, though, the kind of community I am looking for, not an assisted living place or anything. I am not sure that I know the term "patio community", but I can guess what it probably means. I'd just like to have other people who are sort of my age around. I am really not a joiner, but I would be uncomfortable if I were living near only thirty-somethings , I think.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:11 AM

We have gone back and forth about where to move to. We considered The Villages in Florida where there are over 500 clubs, 100,000 over 55 people, golf and swimming. We also considered a new Del Web being built here.

What we have decided on right now is that the familiar city we live in is fine and we just need to find the perfect spot in that city. We have found three condo (not 55 but generally older and established residents) developments on one street that has sidewalks for 5 miles in either direction. We can walk or bike to everything we need. We have very specific interests and they can be met here. So financially it is better for us to stay local.

If I were single, I might consider a more organized community (over 55) with even closer activities but again my specific interests might not be part of what is provided. Walking for exercise can be done anywhere.

It will be a few years before we move from our downtown location but I do understand all the options you are facing. Just understand that if you move, do it carefully and take your time. Even after moving, allow yourself at least 2 years to become acclimated to the culture and people of the place you are moving to. That is how long it took me for a corporate move to feel "comfortable" in the new city/state.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:16 AM

Terms for housing are regional. Patio home here is somewhat a condo or townhouse. Usually four houses attached together with garages and patios.

More of a single level although the one we want has a bonus room over the garage.

If you are coming from NYC, consider cities like Indianapolis. We are a quiet town with a lot of culture and our cost of living is very low. The new/resale patio home we are looking at is less than $200,000 (we are looking at a fairly big one). You could get a new home for much less. Driving is so easy here.

Even senior apartments with utilities and bus service to surrounding amenities are less than $750 a month. Taxes are less here than in NY.

We do have hot summers and cold winters but 4 seasons.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:45 AM

13,321 posts, read 25,574,131 times
My sister sold her house and moved into a 55+ condo complex in south Jersey just as she turned 55. I think she expected a bunch of single men and women of 55, and found a lot of much older women. (After all, how many people dash to the 55+ condo the minute they turned 55?) As far as I can see, the only difference between her very large complex and any other large condo complex is that there aren't children around. There are no particular activities or services or such. I think every "adult" community varies a great deal in its services and structure.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:48 AM

29,782 posts, read 34,880,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
My sister sold her house and moved into a 55+ condo complex in south Jersey just as she turned 55. I think she expected a bunch of single men and women of 55, and found a lot of much older women. (After all, how many people dash to the 55+ condo the minute they turned 55?) As far as I can see, the only difference between her very large complex and any other large condo complex is that there aren't children around. There are no particular activities or services or such. I think every "adult" community varies a great deal in its services and structure.
Yes, they vary greatly the Del-Webb communities are more expensive and have great recreational activities. Remember the community of 55-65 year olds today will be the community of 75-85 year olds in 20 years. How many 55-60 year olds are going to want to buy your unit and move in? Remember we are part of a population boom and in 20 years there will won't be as many seniors to buy as there are to sell. As the population in these communities get olders so will the monthly costs for on site services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or