U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Retirement: car rentals, tour bus, downtown, housing market, relocating.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 04:26 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,521,294 times

Advertisements

wisteria :
I have a daughter who will be in college next year, and it is a debate whether to retire on less earlier, or to wait out her college years here....I just don't know. I also don't want to lose an inexpensive chance to relocate...even where I am, housing costs have gone done a lot.

I am in your position exactly. I have a daughter Kelsey who will be graduating from high school in June. She is somewhat handicapped & may not be able to attend a regular college so I would need to find an appropriate program for her wherever I go . Even though her district is obligated to pay for her education until she's 21 , I do not want to stay here on LI & for the same reason (I don't want to be closed out of housing in the west if I wait too long .)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 04:54 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,242,737 times
Quote:
Nancy Thereader: I am in your position exactly. I have a daughter Kelsey who will be graduating from high school in June. She is somewhat handicapped & may not be able to attend a regular college so I would need to find an appropriate program for her wherever I go . Even though her district is obligated to pay for her education until she's 21 , I do not want to stay here on LI & for the same reason (I don't want to be closed out of housing in the west if I wait too long .)
I empathize. It's really tough when you have kids. I didn't have my daughter until I was 42, so I got to play around a lot before that. But now that I am looking for a retirement place, I still want to take her needs into consideration, too.

New York State has good programs, though, so it's weighing one thing against another. I understand that at least in the City that prices are continuing to rise for housing -- so you may luck out there because you're close to the City and get a good price that would even out for when you want to buy in the west. I'm kind of weighing those odds, myself. I live in the woods, so it's not as expensive where I am compared to the City of Santa Cruz. On the other hand, I'd like to have enough to either pay something out-right, or have a very low mortgage.

Will Kelsey be living with you when she attends college? If she will be independent, how does she feel about you relocating? I know it's really tough to make these decisions when your kids are involved.

I am going to ride out the winter and see how things look in the Spring. Plus, depending on where my daughter goes to college, it will give me a different perspective. Although my daughter is supportive of me moving because she doesn't intend to live at home while she attends college, and she doesn't intend to live in the woods anymore -- she wants to live in a city.

I will just have to keep a close watch on what is happening around the country. Hopefully, I will be able to sell here. Everyone is kind of sitting back and just waiting....

If you have any other ideas, please do share. Thanks!

Old 09-12-2007, 04:55 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,622 posts, read 39,986,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
wisteria :
.......I just don't know. I also don't want to lose an inexpensive chance to relocate...even where I am, housing costs have gone done a lot....

I do not want to stay here on LI & for the same reason (I don't want to be closed out of housing in the west if I wait too long .)
You might check into Portland, OR (or Vancouver, WA) If you can handle the wet winter. It is a pretty 'livable / walkable' community with many colleges, public and private. (lots to do very close... beach, mtns, arts, Columbia Gorge, varied terrain and climate) It is a good 'transitional' location, and nice airport that is well served when you need to 'get-out-of-town- QUICK People learn to deal with the weather, and most successful ones don't even notice... just do what you do, rain or not. You can use it as a hub to explore better locations in the west, then jump to one after your daughter is done with college and gainfully employed.

I would prefer to be in a mountain area, since Colorado was home, but... it has changed way too much for me to enjoy it anymore, I will look to ND or parts of MT / and very few parts of WY.

but, on the choice of when to go, I've been best advised "the Sooner-the-better" with due diligence and weighing the comments of Wisteria (which I fully understand). I've made some hasty decisions that resulted in significant pain (not just for me )) . But you are truly 'burning daylight', when you get to a certain point and need to go. I'd be looking to 'bail-out' at a convenient time, and enjoy some adventure and pass it as on as a learning on to your daughter. It could be best for all, and real fun too!

go for it

Old 09-12-2007, 05:09 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
Quote:
janb: but, on the choice of when to go, I've been best advised "the Sooner-the-better" with due diligence and weighing the comments of Wisteria (which I fully understand). I've made some hasty decisions that resulted in significant pain (not just for me )) . But you are truly 'burning daylight', when you get to a certain point and need to go. I'd be looking to 'bail-out' at a convenient time, and enjoy some adventure and pass it as on as a learning on to your daughter. It could be best for all, and real fun too!
Well, I'm on a real financial short string, so I do have to be much more careful than my carefree days of just bopping into one town or one state from another and starting from scratch.

Believe me, my daughter has seen many adventures, and she has learned a ton from me (and my mistakes). She intends to live in another country anyway, since she spent 6 months in Puerto Montt, Chile as an exchange student last year. She knows I'm open to her exploring and trying new things, however, I am also trying to teach her to moderate herself and not be as impulsive as I've been. We were lucky it worked out for us here in California and she has been able to go through one high school here.

I will be here until next June, though, when she graduates. I am considering putting the house on the market in April, but I will decide once I have more information then if I will move or not.

Believe me, I'm no stick-in-the-mud, and I have learned from too many mistakes, so I am trying to use my brain, as well! I am known as a person who has tried and done a lot....

I've "gone for it" a few times too many....not always good, in retrospect. But, I have to say I've not had a boring life!!

Besides, it's not a matter of will I do it, it's just a matter of time. It's already been decided for me: I cannot in any way shape or form pay my mortgage in retirement (unless there's a wealthy benefactor out there ) -- I must work a well-paying full-time job to do so here. Therefore, it is a given that I am moving -- thus, my quest.

I am, though, listening to what each person says.....your words are not in vain! Thanks everyone!

Old 09-13-2007, 06:48 PM

You might check into Portland, OR (or Vancouver, WA) If you can handle the wet winter. It is a pretty 'livable / walkable' community with many colleges, public and private. (lots to do very close... beach, mtns, arts, Columbia Gorge, varied terrain and climate)

Thanks, jan. That is funny that you mention Portland because that has been my first choice (and primarily FOR the weather. I like clouds and all). I have even been working with real estate people there. I can't move until June so everything is up in the air still.
I even subscribed to the magazine Portland Monthly just to check out what's going on there.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:54 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,881,214 times
If anyone is looking for a great place in Oregon, ASHLAND has much to offer, and the climate in NOT the typical gray, rainy climate of western Oregon. The climate seems more typical of northern California. The Shakespeare festival is a big attraction, along with many nice restaurants, new agey businesses, tourist shops, a hot springs on the edge of town, and a small University ( Southern Oregon University ). The biggest drawbacks are pricey real estate, and a lack of decent paying jobs.

blessings...Franco

Old 09-14-2007, 06:52 PM

The biggest drawbacks are pricey real estate, and a lack of decent paying jobs.

Is the real estate more expensive than Portland's?

Old 09-14-2007, 06:56 PM

hi wisteria,
Unfortunately, my daughter is really too handicapped to every attend a regular college or really to be able to live on her own w/o some kind of residential placement. It is heartbreaking & it is so difficult because I want so much to leave LI and to get on with my life when I retire in June, but OTOH , I have Kelsey here who will always need care and who will possibly be living in a group situation by then .

Old 09-14-2007, 08:55 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,881,214 times
nancy thereader wrote:
Is the real estate more expensive than Portland's?
I've never researched Portland real estate, so I really don't know. You can do a comparison by going to realtor.com and use the same parameters for both locations, then see what comes up. Good luck with your search.

blessings,,,,Franco

Old 09-14-2007, 09:55 PM

Quote:
NancytheReader: hi wisteria,
Unfortunately, my daughter is really too handicapped to every attend a regular college or really to be able to live on her own w/o some kind of residential placement. It is heartbreaking & it is so difficult because I want so much to leave LI and to get on with my life when I retire in June, but OTOH , I have Kelsey here who will always need care and who will possibly be living in a group situation by then .
I'm sorry to hear that. However, I do know of handicapped people who are living full lives in group homes. Sometimes that is how it is, and many of them are quite content.

Why do you want to leave LI?? NYS has some of the best school systems in the country -- granted, the taxes are high, but in your case, in particular, they would be very helpful.

Are you considering moving alone or with a spouse or partner? I'll be moving alone, so I have to take that into consideration. Granted, I'm in better shape than many people my age, but that doesn't mean I still won't be alone or struggling by myself. If you have a spouse or partner, that will make it much easier for you if you do decide to relocate. But do you really need to? LI has many advantages (depending on the neighborhood) and it's close to the City with all it's amenities. Weather isn't all there is.

I moved so long ago that I do take weather and environment into consideration. But when I lived back east before all my gypsy travels, I didn't think much about it. It may be that your support system and community outweighs what you might have somewhere else. In addition, being from the northeast, it is very, very different out west. I hated it at first, and it took many, many years for me to adjust. Now I like it, but I didn't like it at all at first.

If you are thinking of going it alone, please PM me. I am looking to hook up with other (soon to be) retired singles who want sunshine, low humidity and mountains. I have to admit that after living out west for decades that the environment has grown on me.

Good luck to you -- I know it is a difficult road to travel.
Wisteria
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or