U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Retirement: car rentals, tour bus, downtown, housing market, relocating.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 03:53 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,900,324 times

Advertisements

dgoboy204...Have you considered MOAB, UT? Winters are slightly warmer in Moab than in GJCt. Moab also offers great outdoor recreational opportunities. I don't know anything about the rental situation.

When we were looking for a short term rental in Grand Junction a year ago, I looked through the rental ads for leads and my wife did the calling. She kept asking questions and letting people know what we were looking for. After about 90 minutes of calling, she found the perfect place, and it wasn't listed in the ads. Moral of the story. The place you're looking to rent probably ain't listed in the ads. Nothing like being in the area and making calls.

BTW, there are not many places in the USA that are drier than Grand Junction. A few days ago there was slightly more than a half inch of rain and it set a new record (broken link) for the most precipatation on that day. It doesn't take much rain to set a new record in Grand Junction! In my previous location of Virginia Beach, for most people, a half inch of rain would barely register as a rainy day.

blessings....Franco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 05:52 PM

8,242 posts, read 18,544,310 times
My brother has lived in Grand Junction for many many years and he loves it there. He was even the District Attorney for Mesa County.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:25 PM

13,352 posts, read 25,625,436 times
.Have you considered MOAB, UT? Winters are slightly warmer in Moab than in GJCt. Moab also offers great outdoor recreational opportunities. I don't know anything about the rental situation.

I was in Moab in August, and couldn't resist my usual obsession with real estate. Purchase prices seemed *very high*, so I don't know about rentals. I think there's a lot of outside money (read: California) among the younger outdoor enthusiasts. I think Moab is considered a world center for mountain biking, and so on. My nephew lived there a few summers and was leading river rafting trips. I think he lived in his car.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:40 PM

70 posts, read 259,455 times
So, yes, I do want to go back to an area with mountains surrounding me. Some people feel that being near the ocean feels like home, for me it's the mountains, dry air, and deep blue skies in the expanse of open space!

I was glad I made the trip because I had forgotten the tangible feeling of being in the warm, dry air, and the sun shining in the bright blue skies, with those mountains that actually do turn purple in the evening. The beautiful rock formations, the cacti, and oh, just the beauty of it all. Makes me want to be there again now!

Maybe we'll meet up in New Mexico someday!

Wisteria, My wife and I wrestled with the same problem about relocation. We currently live in NM in the high desert west of Socorro,NM and were considering where to retire. After spending a lot of time researching online and traveling to select locations we decided to check out Alamogordo,NM on a whim. We found to our amusement that what we were looking for was almost in our backyard. I know I'll catch some flack for this but it reminds me of a mini Abq. The city backs up to the Sacramento mtns.(great views from the foothills along scenic drive and you can see the San Andres mtns to the west) pop.approx 36M, 1hr. from larger city,Las Cruces(shopping) 30min. to the cool pine forests. Reasonable prices on homes (we paid 78,000 for a 3/2 older adobe style,annual prop. taxes under 500yr., same house in Abq. would cost 150,000 or more), 1hr from skiing,. Branch of NM State Univ(nice looking campus). Could go on but it looks like it could fit your parameters for a possible location. Check out the NM state site on City-Data for futher info.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:07 PM

119 posts, read 348,776 times
Default water...

be aware of the water situation wherever you are considering moving; most do not give it a thought, take it for granted, assume it will be available...
do some extra research so you know the reality

Old 10-23-2007, 03:50 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,101,805 times
To me NM beats CO ...winters are abit too cold in CO ....my suggestion would be places like Silver City ....nice year round climate ...or if you can handle abit more heat ...Las Cruces or Alamogordo ....mild winters ....and summers aren't killer like southern AZ ....

Old 10-23-2007, 07:24 PM

13,140 posts, read 36,773,327 times
Something i thought i'd add Wisteria since your exploring New Mexico and ABQ is one of the cities your looking at and that is anyone 50 and over gets to have a free membership to any city Community Centers for life. This was instituted by the Mayor Martin Chavez.

I don't how many other cities offer this but i wish it was like that everywhere in the USA as that would be great for Boomers and Retirees alike....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or