Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 06:50 PM

14 posts, read 45,400 times

Advertisements

Severely disappointed! The thread was titled "All over the map with retirement location" and I've seen few posts about where people are planning to go and why. Maybe I misinterpreted the focus of this thread but very few are talking about where they are going and why? I would think location to family, climate or dream vacation spots would be a factor but this thread seems to contain more posts on "home is where the heart is". My 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 06:56 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,904,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickjct View Post
Severely disappointed! The thread was titled "All over the map with retirement location" and I've seen few posts about where people are planning to go and why. Maybe I misinterpreted the focus of this thread but very few are talking about where they are going and why? I would think location to family, climate or dream vacation spots would be a factor but this thread seems to contain more posts on "home is where the heart is". My 2 cents.
I'm one of the few restless ones on here. I waver between "home is where the heart (and grandkids) is" and "let me out of this state!"

Part of it for me is cost issues, but a good part is intense curiosity about living in other places, since I have never traveled much. I'm not about to do anything drastic, but I confess to checking in on other City Data forums by state. If the conditions were truly compelling, I could make a move.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:29 PM

19,111 posts, read 16,495,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I'm one of the few restless ones on here. I waver between "home is where the heart (and grandkids) is" and "let me out of this state!"

Part of it for me is cost issues, but a good part is intense curiosity about living in other places, since I have never traveled much. I'm not about to do anything drastic, but I confess to checking in on other City Data forums by state. If the conditions were truly compelling, I could make a move.

You could have the best of both worlds, NEG. Live where you are to be close to your grandchildren and just spend the money on traveling to some of the places that intrigue you.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:00 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,458,810 times
Quote:
Making assumptions about what others may or should talk about is fraught with landmines. Apparently, you've found yours.

The thing about focusing on dream vacation destinations or closeness to family are viable, maybe the best, factors to consider is that the blush comes off those roses in fairly short order ... for many and probably most people. Living someplace is far different than visiting the same place infrequently. These have been the lesson(s) I've learned.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:44 PM

643 posts, read 1,479,222 times
Quote:
I have no idea where I want to go. That's why I'm "all over the map" about it. I've also lived all over the country, so guess I'm using a process of slow elimination. Painfully slow.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:34 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,836,714 times
Quote:
A general comment (not meant to apply only to this thread in particular): Getting people to stay on topic is like trying to herd cats. Plus we may differ on exactly what constitutes sticking to the topic anyway.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:17 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,879,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday1 View Post
I have no idea where I want to go. That's why I'm "all over the map" about it. I've also lived all over the country, so guess I'm using a process of slow elimination. Painfully slow.
There is no reason to fret about finding a place to go to die.You can do that anywhere. Home IS where you hang your hat. Of all people, you should not be having such problems, having lived in many parts of the country.?
I too traveled and lived in All 49 states in some manner. What I learned all those years was, Thomas Wolfe , " you can't go home again" , so why try. Find youy place on your bucket list, or by detailed info, like that provided by City Data.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:19 PM

801 posts, read 2,204,209 times
I've actually enjoyed reading this thread because it makes me feel like I'm in some sort of exclusive club for people who don't know what they hell they are doing. My wife and I have certainly been all over the map in the 5 years I've been retired. I don't know if we are making progress, but I'd like to think so.

One thing that has definitely evolved in these 5 years is that we now have "staying near our son" as a factor at the top of our list. He's in his mid 20s, lives 5 miles away, and we absolutely enjoy meeting him for dinner and having him come to the house about once a week. I'm not even going to spend time trying to forecast where he will go.

As John Lennon said...."Life is what happens while you're busy making plans."

Old 05-30-2012, 12:44 AM

292 posts, read 356,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoodwx View Post
I've actually enjoyed reading this thread because it makes me feel like I'm in some sort of exclusive club for people who don't know what they hell they are doing."
LOL, me, too. And I have enjoyed the opus stickied at top of this forum which spans many years. Some topics, and their meandering offshoots, just stay endlessly interesting and worth the read. I've done the quizzes like sperling and top retirements, and, while valuable, I wonder if there is a site that reverse engineers the priority list--instead of trying to prioritize your wants, it would list the strengths and weaknesses of each place and discuss what kind of people would like living there.

An interesting spin on choosing retirement location is in Barbara Corcoran's book, Nextville. It was published 4 years ago, and I hope she does an update. Chapters include: Pursuing Your Passion, Forming a New Community, Living Young: Emerging Cities and College Towns, Living Green, Losing Yourself (living abroad), Finding Your Purpose, and others. So, she is describing lifestyles and then talks about places to find that lifestyle. She gives several examples of people living each. These stories are the basis of the not-so-great reviews on Amazon--many readers felt not enough depth. But, she covers a lot of ground and generates ideas for further research. Based on my memory, Cullinane's book (which I can't find and can't remember the title) is similar. It's also oldish. Some of you may find one or both to be thought provoking at least.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:57 AM

643 posts, read 1,479,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
There is no reason to fret about finding a place to go to die.You can do that anywhere. Home IS where you hang your hat. Of all people, you should not be having such problems, having lived in many parts of the country.?
I too traveled and lived in All 49 states in some manner. What I learned all those years was, Thomas Wolfe , " you can't go home again" , so why try. Find youy place on your bucket list, or by detailed info, like that provided by City Data.
Who's fretting? Who is looking for a place to die? And who's trying to go home again? None of those applies to me, and I didn't write about any of those issues or things.

I merely said it's been (is) a long process to decide where we want to retire, not die nor "go home again". If you're actually reading the thread you'll recall that loveautumn mentioned people who moved to Maine (it's quite expensive to move I'd guess you know) and then changed their minds. That does indeed apply to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement