U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 06:42 AM

19,872 posts, read 22,792,815 times

Advertisements

Actually many Americans are starting to head overseas to obtain medical care - simply because the high cost of it here puts quality medical care out of their reach:

http://www.news10.net/storyfull2.aspx?storyid=27118 (broken link)

AARP magazine had a very interesing article on this very subject a month or two back. There are plenty of places overseas now that offer high-quality (same as in the US) medical care with US-trained doctors and the latest in techniques and equipment for just a fraction of the over-inflated costs in the US.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 07:09 AM

30,687 posts, read 49,469,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Actually many Americans are starting to head overseas to obtain medical care - simply because the high cost of it here puts quality medical care out of their reach:

http://www.news10.net/storyfull2.aspx?storyid=27118 (broken link)

AARP magazine had a very interesing article on this very subject a month or two back. There are plenty of places overseas now that offer high-quality (same as in the US) medical care with US-trained doctors and the latest in techniques and equipment for just a fraction of the over-inflated costs in the US.

Ken
I can see that.

If you can not afford quality, then go some where that you can afford a hometown doctor with no lab to back him but at least you can afford his best efforts.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I can see that.

If you can not afford quality, then go some where that you can afford a hometown doctor with no lab to back him but at least you can afford his best efforts.

Actually quality in many of the overseas hospitals frequented by Americans is just as good as the medical care here in the US. It used to be that only the US had the latest in equipment and techniques, but that's simply not true anymore. Though not all overseas hospitals offer care on a par with the US, there are plenty that do - and in fact treating Americans has become a very big business in many countries - with US-trained doctors and state of the art equipment and labs.

Lots of advancement occuring all over the world nowadays that most Americans are completely unaware of. These changes are not happening at the same rate everywhere - and some places are still lagging terribly, but overall, they ARE taking place and the world is changing rapidly. No longer is the US the only center of technology.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 10-08-2007 at 07:40 AM..

Old 10-08-2007, 08:18 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,830,715 times
Medical care for women is often not good overseas (there are a few exceptions--for example, scandinavia has good care for women). Sad, but true, women will often be condescended to, told "it's all in your head," or given a prescription for anti-depressants rather than real medical care.

Of course, this is a problem in some places in the U.S., too. Another thing that worries me about U.S. care is the number of hospitals sending x-rays to pakistan. I do NOT want my x-rays being read by someone in another country--the doctors may be well trained on other countries, but it seems like a potential lure for terrorists. I don't want someone "striking back at America" by deliberately misreading my x-rays. I know that's a little paranoid, but that's the way I feel.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:34 AM

I have to say I do agree with you about the foreigner reading your x-rays - it is a little paranoid. Can't imagine why ANY terrorist would have the slightest interest in mis-reading MY x-rays.

I think you do have a valid point about care for women perhaps being not as good as care for men (at least in some places) due to cultural differences however. It is certainly food for thought.

I'd also like to re-iterate that not ALL overseas hospitals are anywhere near as good as hospitals here in the US, just that there ARE such services available. When going for care overseas, you obviously need to choose your hospital carefully. The same is true when you are deciding to retire overseas - you need to consider the availability of good medical care in the area you are looking into. It's also true here in the US though. When choosing a retirement location even here, you need to look into the availability of good medical care nearby. Lots of folks would like to retire to a small town atmosphere, but in such cases you need to take into account the fact that small towns are not likely to have all the medical equipment and facilities an older person is likely to require at some time or another.

Ken

Old 10-08-2007, 08:47 AM

30,687 posts, read 49,469,539 times
I have been in civilian medical facilities where: there has been soiled bandages littering the floors waiting for a once daily janitor to come through [Italy]. Where the families are responsible for monitoring / feeding / changing dressings for each patient [Italy]. Where the hospital has one x-ray machine and the doctor is the only one trained to use it [Italy and Austria]. Where they had no MRI, no CAT scan, and no lab, if the doctor can not see or detect something with his eyes and hands then it is not going to be detected [Italy and Austria].

I once had separated my left wrist and four metacarpals in my hand were all fractured, the doctor did his own x-rays, he tied my fingers to a suspended bar and had his receptionist applying traction by putting her leg over my elbow and applying her weight to push down on my elbow, to stretch my wrist, while the doctor kneaded my wrist and bones back into place [Austria].

Old 10-08-2007, 09:05 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,513,520 times
About a year or two ago Sixty Minutes did a story on people who went to a hospital in Thailand (private room; the whole place looked like a five-star hotel) and received excellent care for much less than it cost in the US, and also used modern, innovative skills that the US is now implementing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or