Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2015, 06:32 PM

18,705 posts, read 33,372,489 times

Advertisements

I miss when people of all ages responded "You're welcome" to "Thank you." Now, under a certain age, people respond, "No problem."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 08:00 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I miss when people of all ages responded "You're welcome" to "Thank you." Now, under a certain age, people respond, "No problem."
Yes! Me too. And when I enter a store and someone asks, "How are you?" I feel a little embarrassed by my answer which is, "Fine, thank you." It was always the acceptable answer to the question but now I feel funny, like I am being too formal or something. I guess you're supposed to say, "I'm GREAT!" But that sounds conceited.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:31 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,266 times
This is true out here in Phoenix, too. I sometimes think people are sent to a "Dale Carnegy" type course and this is how they are taught to respond. The younger ones use the "No Problem" response more frequently out here, too, so it must be all over the country. Also, out here, the phrase, "Later" is often used in response to "Good-bye".

Old 05-15-2015, 09:54 PM

8,480 posts, read 6,882,429 times
Ice cold Budweiser at a quarter apiece from the local drinking establishment.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:12 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
mathjak107,
I hope that you were just kidding.

How about moving from New York to New Hampshire, the "Live Free or Die" state - the only state which does not require adults to wear seatbelts.
What seats belt? There weren't any. When my father got a new car in the '60s, it had front lap belts.

When I was one of four kids jammed into the back seat, being able lie on the back shelf was a luxury.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:14 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,192,216 times
What do I miss about "the old days"?

Being healthy...

Old 05-15-2015, 11:48 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,890,151 times
I would choose to live in the 80s if I could, but other than that, today is actually a pretty good time to be alive. And people, I'm no optimist. To me, the glass is always half empty, so there's room to pour in the booze.

Old 05-16-2015, 02:56 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,080,870 times
Easy to see the optimists and pessimists in this thread. Seems natural that if you had a great childhood, you are positively nostalgic, and a lousy one, negatively nostalgic. By default, (less likely computer users) few here were active combatants in WWII, Korea, etc, and the horrors associated with them. As an optimist, (and one who had a great childhood), I have to shake my head at the pessimists that just can't simply leave the negative thoughts behind in a simple discussion, and applaud those that do.

I miss being picked up and held by my Mom when I got hurt, and blowing on booboos.

I miss looking forward to seeing my friends every day at school.

I miss the excitement and wonder of a birthday party.

I miss not worrying about anything except homework.

I miss virtually everything about being under 25.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:45 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
I know I'm not alone in missing the good health and suppleness of youth. I also miss the innocence and wonder of my younger years and the adventures of my youth. Although my parents were alcoholics and could be very difficult to live with they did afford me an almost magical childhood. I was mostly raised on a harbor island in southern California, could walk to the water in about two minutes and had both a sailboat and power boat. Prior to that I'd lived in mainland China for a year and a half and at age nine we were sent to Japan where we lived in a Japanese house in a small, Japanese fishing village. We also lived on the Naval Base in Yokosuka and in Tokyo. By age 14, in addition to California I'd lived in AL, VA, NC and MN. I miss the adventures of it all.

Old 05-16-2015, 04:01 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I know I'm not alone in missing the good health and suppleness of youth. I also miss the innocence and wonder of my younger years and the adventures of my youth. Although my parents were alcoholics and could be very difficult to live with they did afford me an almost magical childhood. I was mostly raised on a harbor island in southern California, could walk to the water in about two minutes and had both a sailboat and power boat. Prior to that I'd lived in mainland China for a year and a half and at age nine we were sent to Japan where we lived in a Japanese house in a small, Japanese fishing village. We also lived on the Naval Base in Yokosuka and in Tokyo. By age 14, in addition to California I'd lived in AL, VA, NC and MN. I miss the adventures of it all.
I envy you being able to travel. I stayed in the same boring town until I went away to college. One or two week vacations at the Cape and then back to boredom again. Bike riding, playing with dolls out in the garage, walking to the corner store for a fudgesicle--or for a while it was this awful bubble gum just so we could get Davy Crockett cards. Catching turtles for pets. Grasshoppers too. If that wasn't boring enough, August brought The Family Reunion. Yawn. I must have been so rude but I never wanted to go and didn't care who my mother's Uncle Claude was or that he had come all the way down from Canada.

Home to more boredom, daily bike rides to the town swimming pool, which was pretty boring. When the boredom became intolerable somebody would suggest popping tar bubbles on a hot afternoon. Back to school was more interesting and seeing some kids again was wonderful. Everybody was back from vacation. Once I got out of that town, I vowed to travel--and that's just what I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement