Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 04:13 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Well, we live way too far apart, but I come from a card-playing family with Canasta being my favorite, especially playing with my Mom, or with my Mom and grandmother and aunts.

However, my mother always wanted me to learn cribbage, pinochle, and bridge, and regrettably, I did not.
Yes, used to play Canasta, too. I miss those days. I miss the people I played with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 08:19 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Well, we live way too far apart, but I come from a card-playing family with Canasta being my favorite, especially playing with my Mom, or with my Mom and grandmother and aunts.

However, my mother always wanted me to learn cribbage, pinochle, and bridge, and regrettably, I did not.
My dad would be both annoyed and proud when I'd wipe him out at cribbage. He taught to play to win and be sneeky at it. I've tried some of the online versions but they are so tame and don't have any emotional spikes in them. My dad learned to play cards in the navy, and they played like it was another battlefield so that's how he taught me.

It was delightful when I got married that his family were also cribbage fans. My mother in law was very good, and my brother in law too. They were the most fun to play with. Hubby....er, well, he just tried to look like he wasn't ready to go home.

Anyone ever play Shanghi? It was a card game which you started out putting down three of a kind, then next hand a run of four, and so on until you had to put down 13, and you were only dealt 12, and you had to 'buy' a card you wanted and get two more unseen. I think my love of late nights may have started with that game.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:11 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,754 times
I miss the days of feeling like our nightly news anchors led us as a nation through an accurate and honest reporting of what was going on in our nation. Walter Cronkite, Chet Huntly, Dave Brinkley, John Chancelor. They reported and we all seemed to be in the same national boat. It's like everyone pulled together as a nation.
But that was a looooong time ago and maybe I was just way too young and naive. I dunno. But something has been lost along the way that will never come again, I don't believe.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:25 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,767,560 times
I don't miss anything from the "old" days, not because I didn't like things from back-when, but because, what's the point? Things change and rather than regret those changes, just enjoy the new way. It is what it is and you cannot change it.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:00 AM

100 posts, read 88,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I miss the days of feeling like our nightly news anchors led us as a nation through an accurate and honest reporting of what was going on in our nation. Walter Cronkite, Chet Huntly, Dave Brinkley, John Chancelor. They reported and we all seemed to be in the same national boat. It's like everyone pulled together as a nation.
But that was a looooong time ago and maybe I was just way too young and naive. I dunno. But something has been lost along the way that will never come again, I don't believe.
Yea, I've quit watching the news, except for the local station to get the weather. None of the news organizations report factual news. It's all slanted and spun toward their political viewpoint. I don't trust any of them. Too many caught editing content to match their spin. I don't care or want their opinion. Just report factual events and I'll make up my own mind.

Old 11-01-2016, 11:16 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Fruits and vegetables and even flowers are losing their scents because it's being bred out of them. The only attributes anyone cares about is "does it ship well"? Who cares if it smells or even tastes good? And nutrition? I think there are studies saying new varieties have less vitamins than the old "heirlooms" because people just want sweeter veggies.
I've thought this for a while. As a cashier I really notice it too. We sell beautiful flowers but they have no scent! Even the gorgeous red roses and carnations. Nothing. I hate hothouse tomatoes. And peaches that don't even smell like peaches and they aren't 'fuzzy' anymore. More like nectarines. I'm also thinking that produce is picked before it should be just so it'll 'survive' the trip from field to our fridges. I've had a real problem finding produce that is ripened enough, and truly 'ready to eat', without letting it sit out to 'age' a bit longer. Avocados are notorious for that. Also cantalopes. I've only bought three all summer and all were awful.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:26 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
I miss real Trick or Treating. It's nearly faded away in my corner of the Bay Area. People now do stuff exclusively with their particular "tribe" and we no longer have a real completely functional greater community.

Instead of walking around the neighborhood Trick or Treating, most of the young families got together with each other in one place and did a sort of single site Trick or Treat. I'm thinking of not setting up our house next year, it's a lot of work for the 4 - 5 kids that still knock on our door.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:39 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
My dad would be both annoyed and proud when I'd wipe him out at cribbage. He taught to play to win and be sneeky at it. I've tried some of the online versions but they are so tame and don't have any emotional spikes in them. My dad learned to play cards in the navy, and they played like it was another battlefield so that's how he taught me.
I learned to play cribbage from our neighbors. They were not sneaky about it but they were very strict with the rules. If you missed pegging any points, they would gladly take it. I taught two of my brothers cribbage and my son and daughter. Another family favorite card game was spoons - many times we would laugh so hard it would be hard to remain quiet with a spoon hidden in your lap

My mom and dad were never interested in cribbage. Both parents enjoyed canasta and would go play matches with other relatives and friends. My mom enjoyed pinochle and taught us how to play.

As an extended family, we would spend many hours after a holiday feast playing Uno. My dad was notorious at trying to cheat. Often we would have so many players, that we would use a double Uno deck.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:44 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I miss real Trick or Treating. It's nearly faded away in my corner of the Bay Area. People now do stuff exclusively with their particular "tribe" and we no longer have a real completely functional greater community.

Instead of walking around the neighborhood Trick or Treating, most of the young families got together with each other in one place and did a sort of single site Trick or Treat. I'm thinking of not setting up our house next year, it's a lot of work for the 4 - 5 kids that still knock on our door.
Last night as part of our Parks & Rec board, we held a Trunk or Treat. We asked residents to participate by decorating their vehicles, and we gave out prizes to the best decorated. Several residents participated, some decorated their vehicles and some did not. We had quite a turnout of families with their children and we gave a few costume prizes out too.

I really enjoyed this event, and we plan to hold it annually as the families seemed to really enjoy it. Next year, I hope we have more participants who join in by decorating their vehicles.

Old 11-01-2016, 01:02 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Last night as part of our Parks & Rec board, we held a Trunk or Treat. We asked residents to participate by decorating their vehicles, and we gave out prizes to the best decorated. Several residents participated, some decorated their vehicles and some did not. We had quite a turnout of families with their children and we gave a few costume prizes out too.

I really enjoyed this event, and we plan to hold it annually as the families seemed to really enjoy it. Next year, I hope we have more participants who join in by decorating their vehicles.
So in other words, a tribe of people who have young kids, and everyone else is left out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement