Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 02:12 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,399,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Quality over quantity always. My Father is in perfect health and is 94 years old. He always wanted to live to be 100 for whatever reason. Yet he lives alone, has no friends and none of his 4 children have visited him in 25 years. He only leaves his apartment to get groceries and has no phone since no one ever calls him. What's the point of living to be sold when you live a life that lonely and miserable?
So how did all of that happen (like no visits from children in 25 years)? My father is 93. In good health. He lives in his own apartment in an independent senior living facility near us. Has some friends - including a younger lady friend (although people more or less his age are dropping like flies as he ages). He takes OLLI courses - goes to the symphony - enjoys watching football games - etc. I think he complains too much - and that he's kind of a hypochondriac - but I don't think he's miserable. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 05:13 AM

23,155 posts, read 26,075,885 times
Quote:
Quality over quantity always. My Father is in perfect health and is 94 years old. He always wanted to live to be 100 for whatever reason. Yet he lives alone, has no friends and none of his 4 children have visited him in 25 years. He only leaves his apartment to get groceries and has no phone since no one ever calls him. What's the point of living to be sold when you live a life that lonely and miserable?
I'm not in a position to definately say that you're wrong but can say, how do you know you're right?
He may be quite happy and get a lot of satisfaction with each new birthday. He may enjoy certain TV shows greatly, every day.He may enjoy whatever food he goes to that gorcery store to get.
He may not be at all lonely and miserable.
You seem to know an awful lot about his daily life and attitude for somebody that hasn't seen him in 25 years.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:51 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,147,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I've cared for quite a few people suffering from dementia, including my father. I swear that man used his last working brain cell to beg me to kill him. He wanted out. I couldn't kill him but I could and did order palliative care only. Nothing would be done to lengthen his life. It's an awful way to go and personally, if I ever get that diagnosis, I hope I have the guts to just take care of it myself.

The medical profession wants to keep you alive. Even if you are a vegetable and have zero quality of life. And you will quickly spend every last cent you have for the privilege of being kept alive.

It's not easy to be old. I remember trying to explain to my H how blessed his father was to have died quickly. His Dad spent the morning chopping wood, came in, had lunch, took a nap, and just never woke up. To me, this was a perfect end. I think H learned I was right when his uncle died after multiple surgeries, amputations, and months of misery. H had a perfect death too. He went out with friends for New Year's Eve, danced, and had a good time. He came home, went to bed, and never woke up. He was too young to just drop dead but better that than years of suffering.
I always say the lucky ones are the people who are still living a full life and just fall over dead one day. Everyone talks about how tragic it is when someone seemingly healthy dies. But isn't it more of a tragedy to have to go through a slow decline to your death?

One of the last things my dad said to me was "If you get a chance to get out of that body, do it." He had prostate cancer and it had returned. I didn't know that until after he died, but I'm sure he knew. I know my dad, and I know he must have made up his mind that he was going to go on his terms, and not with his life being prolonged in a hospital or him being sent to a nursing home. I wish I had known the cancer had spread, and I would have moved in with him or had him move in with me with hospice so at least he wouldn't have suffered like I know he did (but he hid it from everyone).

Old 03-21-2012, 08:14 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,563,814 times
Quote:
Doesn't sound havig not visited i 25 years;you'd hardly kow just now he feels;happy or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement