Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 09:53 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,130,360 times

Advertisements

Suppose that someone can no longer perform their job due to disabilities resulting from Parkinson's disease, which is a recognized disablity by Social Security, and suppose the day they leave work they file for SS disabilty, how long would it likely take under said circumstances to be approved and start collecting disability.
We are also assuming there is no short or long term private disabilty coverage.
and would you go in the first time with a lawyer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 12:15 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I think you should ask a lawyer about that. A brief phone consultation should be free to see if you need to hire that person.
If you have a medical social worker wherever you get your health care, that could help the process. I see that where I work. Best wishes.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:37 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
I think my first pass would be to fill out all the paperwork first to find out if you're denied. I've heard that people are denied for simply filling out the forms wrong or incomplete information, so be certain you have everything included before submission. If you are denied, then go to a lawyer specializing in SS disabilities.

We have friends who submitted and were approved quickly. I also have a BIL who was denied. I recommended going to a lawyer and within 6 months he was accepted. If they subsequently approve you, they will retroactively pay your benefits.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I ahve a friend who got it pretty quickly on her own. She filed the papers but then she also was retired medically from her job when she filed which supported it.Otehrwsie her doctor alos supported it.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:30 PM

I was told you can use a lawyer the first time and less likely to be denied, and have to wait. See no income if he has to leave his job. so waiting 6 mo. even if granted retroactive does not help much.
I wondered what others experiences have been. My son had back injuries and Epileptic seizures and even with Dr. etc was denied and took almost a year to and lawyers to get approved.
But as I say Parkinson's is already accepted by SS as a disabilty, depending on circumstance of course. My mom years ago after working all her life was declared legally blind due to diabetes and was approved right off the bat, but then she also had long term disability from the phone CO. where she had worked.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:30 PM

5,327 posts, read 6,012,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I was told you can use a lawyer the first time and less likely to be denied, and have to wait. See no income if he has to leave his job. so waiting 6 mo. even if granted retroactive does not help much.
I wondered what others experiences have been. My son had back injuries and Epileptic seizures and even with Dr. etc was denied and took almost a year to and lawyers to get approved.
But as I say Parkinson's is already accepted by SS as a disabilty, depending on circumstance of course. My mom years ago after working all her life was declared legally blind due to diabetes and was approved right off the bat, but then she also had long term disability from the phone CO. where she had worked.
Social Security does not pay disability benefits for the first 5 months of disability.

No one can possibly estimate how long it would take the claimant to "win" his case. There are way too many factors that come into play. If the medical documentation supports a finding that his Parkinson's "meets" the listing at 11.06 11.00-Neurological-Adult , then it is possible his initial application will be approved in 3-4 months. Listing level severity is not easily met. If SSA (really the local DDS) does not find his Parkinson's meets the listing, then it needs to complete a 4 or 5 step process. If denied at the initial stage, you can add 4-5 months for reconsideration (depending on your state) and an additional 1-2 years for a hearing (depending on the particular hearings office.)

Because of funding issues, SSA is again racking up significant delays in processing claims.

Having Parkinson's does not mean the case is a slam dunk. (I think you already know that.) One of my first Federal District Court cases was a middle aged woman (with Parkinson's) who could no longer work as a cashier at a 7-11 type place. SSA disagreed. Fortunately, the Court agreed with me. I think it worked in her favor that judges stop in 7-11 type stores and know what is actually required of the workers. (BTW, she was represented by a non-attorney advocate at the hearing level. I had to make it clear to the Court that I was not her representative at the lower level, as the advocate had written some pretty nasty things about the ALJ when he appealed the denial to the Appeals Council. )

Old 03-20-2012, 06:24 AM

Well he is 62 now and functioning, just diagnosed so we are still adjusting, and don't know how quick or slow things will go. Just concerned that he not need to leave his job or it leave him before full retirement age since we would have no other income or resources but SS and don't want to have to take it permanently reduced. I am disabled and have basically never worked except for a few short term jobs years ago have no record of my own so some day will collect on his record.
Hopefully progress will be very slow and he will at least make 66 before he has to stop working, trouble it he commutes 5.5 to 6 hours round trip in addition to working 8 hours a day. Not great for a disease that has severe fatigue as one of the symptoms.
Thanks for the info by the way.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:57 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Suppose that someone can no longer perform their job due to disabilities resulting from Parkinson's disease, which is a recognized disablity by Social Security, and suppose the day they leave work they file for SS disabilty, how long would it likely take under said circumstances to be approved and start collecting disability.
We are also assuming there is no short or long term private disabilty coverage.
and would you go in the first time with a lawyer?
I applied for disability when I was 60 due to Arthritis in my hands. (I was in construction) I went directly to Social Security and was 100% honest with them concerning my disability. They sent me a notice that I would have to be examined by their doctor and again being 100% honest with the doctor told them if they could cure the Arthritis I would rather they do that then put me on disability.
I waited a few more weeks and was notified that they were satisfied that my disability kept me from working in my regular field and I would be considered permanently disabled.
I don't recall how long it took buy I started receiving monthly disability payments shortly after.
I also received notice that I could also work in another field and still receive my disability payments.
I found a job as a driver that I kept for a couple of years and continued to receive disability payments.
When I turned 65 my disability payments stopped and my SS retirement payments started without me having to do anything.

That all took place in NJ so I have no idea how it works out in other states.

I have friend who applied for disability in NC and was immediately rejected.

Keep in mind permanent disability payments are based on the amount you would receive upon full retirement and they do not change when you actually retire.

Good Luck

Old 03-20-2012, 11:41 AM

The fact they [the payments] are based on Full retirement age for disability is one reason I wanted to know all this. If he is forced to "retire" due to disability between now age 62 and when he is 66 he would get less and the reduction would be permanent if he gets disabilty because of the PD before 66 he would get almost the full retirement age amount. As I said SS is all we are going to have to live on pretty much, and my half of his will be based on what he ends up with at FRA, so hoping he can hang in there and does not lose the job he has or abilty to work.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:43 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
The fact they [the payments] are based on Full retirement age for disability is one reason I wanted to know all this. If he is forced to "retire" due to disability between now age 62 and when he is 66 he would get less and the reduction would be permanent if he gets disabilty because of the PD before 66 he would get almost the full retirement age amount. As I said SS is all we are going to have to live on pretty much, and my half of his will be based on what he ends up with at FRA, so hoping he can hang in there and does not lose the job he has or abilty to work.
Make an appointment to see the SS rep in person, not the phone or internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement