Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 03:26 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Good site to read..pick and choose what appeals to you:

» The Beginner’s Guide to Zen Habits – A Guided Tour :zenhabits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 04:46 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
...Of course it can also mean uncluttered (physically and mentally), with the rewards being perhaps a greater efficiency in lifestyle and ability to see and hear what's worth seeing and hearing, around all the "noise" in our daily lives. I think of traditional cultures like the Japanese, who even though a warrior culture also have had a deeply aesthetic way of life based on a philosophy that translates (for me) to simplicity.

Just thinking...
We spent 3 weeks in Japan a few years back. I found nothing simple about some of the more prominent aspects of Japanese culture - like bonsai - or a traditional kaiseki meal - or Cherry Blossom festivals. And there is certainly nothing uncluttered about the Tokyo subway system (it is filled to the brim with people - especially during rush hour) - or cities like Tokyo in general. Huge sensory overload. OTOH - the typical Japanese home may be simple and uncluttered - because it is teeny tiny (we met the children of some friends there - a married couple with a small child - who live in about 500 sf - kind of normal for the outskirts of Tokyo).

IMO - the best way to live an uncluttered life is to organize one's storage very carefully . Seriously. Our house is very minimalist looking. But has tons of hidden storage (all of which is pretty organized). And when you get new stuff to replace old stuff - throw out the stuff you're replacing (or sell it on Ebay - or donate it to Goodwill). I find my husband is very bad in this regard - he winds up putting the old stuff in the garage ("you never know when we'll need it"). Every 6 months or so - I go through the garage - and throw things away. Also - if you're the kind of person who still has tax returns from 20 years ago - get all that out-of-date paper junk - and call an outfit like Shred-It. Get rid of it. A few years ago - we visited a friend in California. He still had paper stuff in his garage from when he was in law school .

Finally - who can be uncluttered mentally these days? I don't deal with a lot of stuff compared to some people here. But this month I've had to deal with taxes - the normal financial stuff - premature landscaping due to the warm winter - a couple of family health problems - and watching Tim Tebow go to the Jets . I also read the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo - had both of my brothers and their families visit for 4 days (one night a big family dinner at my house) - got a new ISP (because my old one conked out on me again - three strikes - and you're out). Made pasta fagioli for dinner tonight this morning. Also played golf at least once a week (the weather has been gorgeous). I could go on - but you get the point. Even retired people can be very busy. Robyn

Old 03-22-2012, 04:48 PM

915 posts, read 1,624,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Yes, this idea does appeal to me and around the time I decided I wanted to sell this house, I started throwing out and giving away. Lots and Lots.

But occasionally I have regrets. Like, where is that robe I had that would keep me warm in this cool winter? Oh, yah. I gave it to Good Will. Darn.

My Mom never was interested in simple living. Her house, now mine, is filled to the brim. Aren't I lucky I get to clean it out, and throw away stuff from the 1940s..
oh my - you have a major ebay opportunity there............think mid-century................

Old 03-22-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Someone gave me a little pamphlet entitled "Voluntary Simplicity." I assumed it was just about frugality but it isn't. It's about a way of life based on choice. I'm wondering who would like to add to the discussion—does this idea appeal to you, have you made conscious choices in retirement to live more simply with less stuff and less complexity, etc. What are the challenges to your living simply as a matter of choice, and what are the rewards? (This discussion could include not only living simply, but dying simply.) How to live simply in the city, not only the country....
Great thread.

Though presently drowning in stuff and trying to decide how best to tackle it all, voluntary simplicity is the direction I see myself moving toward. There was a time when I just wanted certain things, but it still constituted a lot of things. More and more I find myself desiring less and less. Trying to figure out how to not have a car/to not have a house at times though one does need a little hideaway of their own. To certainly NOT have too many sheets, towels, pots and pans, dishes, books, pens, etc and so on. To relish the little.

The danger I find is as I ask the question of why this or why that, I come dangerously close to why anything and then start to feel like muttering "meaningless, meaningless, meaningless...." -

I do think that there is a simplicity that has almost vanished. The demands of our society have certainly promoted complexity. I remember thinking way way way long ago of the broadway play title "stop the world - i want to get off" and thought that if i could just have one year respite, i could get it together/catch up/whatever/catch my breath. A year would never do it. The issues would continue to compile.

i am going to pursue simplicity. or maybe "pursuing" is not the right word. Too active. I shall fall into simplicity - swoon into simplicity - settle into simplicity and reject the retirement /lifestyle picture presented in television ads and AARP magazine.....

Old 03-22-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
oh my - you have a major ebay opportunity there............think mid-century................
Agreed. I have always had a lot of mid-century stuff. And when there is something I care to part with - I don't throw it away before I research it carefully. If it isn't garbage - it goes on auction (usually Ebay). When my husband and his sibs cleaned out my FIL's house - they found a small silver jar - which my husband brought home - and I researched it. It was a reasonably rare 19th century Gorham biscuit jar. Went for $15k+ at Christie's (I did the leg work for the auction - you don't want to deal with something that is worth that much on Ebay).

There's a difference between throwing out old underwear and towels and shredding 20 year old tax returns - and figuring out what an old and/or unusual item is worth.

And the values of things can be surprising. I have smoked for a long time. Still smoke. And have mid-century modern designer plastic ashtrays dating back to the 1960's. They're each worth at least $200 now. I have lamps that I bought for $50 that are now worth $500. And some furniture where I don't have a clue.

So before you consign something you or your parents own to the dust bin - or a garage sale - research it at least a little. The most surprising things can be worth something. When my husband and his sibs went to clean out his father's house - they threw away 20 years of coin price books - without asking me. They would have gone for about $200 on Ebay.

FWIW - I have sold thousands of dollars worth of stuff on Ebay. Everything from old dolls to old records. To old electronics (like an ancient HP financial pocket calculator that went for $100 to someone who was collecting every HP calculator ever made). To - believe it or not - old copies of Turbotax. Which go for a fair amount of money (lots of accountants need old programs to service clients who haven't filed tax returns for the last 10 years!). IOW- check it out before you throw it out. Robyn

Old 03-22-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Agreed. I have always had a lot of mid-century stuff. And when there is something I care to part with - I don't throw it away before I research it carefully. If it isn't garbage - it goes on auction (usually Ebay). When my husband and his sibs cleaned out my FIL's house - they found a small silver jar - which my husband brought home - and I researched it. It was a reasonably rare 19th century Gorham biscuit jar. Went for $15k+ at Christie's (I did the leg work for the auction - you don't want to deal with something that is worth that much on Ebay).

There's a difference between throwing out old underwear and towels and shredding 20 year old tax returns - and figuring out what an old and/or unusual item is worth.

And the values of things can be surprising. I have smoked for a long time. Still smoke. And have mid-century modern designer plastic ashtrays dating back to the 1960's. They're each worth at least $200 now. I have lamps that I bought for $50 that are now worth $500. And some furniture where I don't have a clue.

So before you consign something you or your parents own to the dust bin - or a garage sale - research it at least a little. The most surprising things can be worth something. When my husband and his sibs went to clean out his father's house - they threw away 20 years of coin price books - without asking me. They would have gone for about $200 on Ebay.

FWIW - I have sold thousands of dollars worth of stuff on Ebay. Everything from old dolls to old records. To old electronics (like an ancient HP financial pocket calculator that went for $100 to someone who was collecting every HP calculator ever made). To - believe it or not - old copies of Turbotax. Which go for a fair amount of money (lots of accountants need old programs to service clients who haven't filed tax returns for the last 10 years!). IOW- check it out before you throw it out. Robyn
and now we have postponed or at least momentarily delayed a lot of peoples' voluntary simplicity by making them check out their goodies before sending them to the dumpster but after all , it is a journey.............and a bit of extra cash to aid in the pursuit of simplicity is never a bad thing.....balance in all things

Old 03-22-2012, 06:17 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
"Stuff" is only one aspect of simplicity or the lack of it, at least for me. I've never accumulated a lot of stuff (moving from one studio apartment to another will do that) and my current house of 1250sq.ft. really doesn't have "stuff," it's just that I never put anything away. I am working on taking books to the library for their biannual sale, and making a pile of clothes to donate that I am not likely to wear again (I wear the same few things over and over and don't put them away). Even if that other stuff might fit someday, so, I'll just buy a new one.
I've recently tried to pay more attention to things I hire out. For instance, one of my dogs is very shaggy and uncooperative, so I take him to a groomer. Usually take one of the others for a buff-up bath. I will bathe the second one myself. Stop grabbing a takeout sandwich or some other food thing because I want a "treat" even if not hungry and there's good food at home if only I would prepare it.
Certainly not acquiring any electronic device or communication thing that I don't actually see a need for (I hear I'm a late adopter, rather, a neo-Luddite).
I guess I think of simplicity in the sense of making life more financially simple (which usually does involve buying less stuff). Now, I do adopt multiple old dogs, and give a fair amount to charity, so in that sense, I am voluntarily less financially simple.
I decided not to have a garage built with my new cottage- just didn't see the need. I do hire out any house chores that require tools or a lawn mower. Simpler? More expensive? Priorities...

Old 03-23-2012, 01:53 PM

12,031 posts, read 6,561,999 times
lol
We spend the first half of our life acquiring stuff, and the last half getting rid of it all.

I find that show "Hoarders" to be so indicative of our culture and its focus on the importance of "stuff" and its voluntary complexity. I have some kind of fearful and perverse fascination with that show---can only watch it for a few minutes; I freak out internally---and then immediately go into a closet or garage and start throwing stuff into a donation box.

We've always lived pretty simply and uncluttered, but I am amazed at how much even WE accumulated over the years. If I buy something now, I make myself get rid of 2 things for every one thing I buy and that rule has really helped with prioritizing if I really need the thing.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:44 PM

863 posts, read 795,214 times
I love the thought of living simple and downsizing. One thing I do is, pack a box full of stuff, write the date on it and put it in a closet. If you haven't opened it in a year, take it to goodwill because there is obviously nothing in it that you need.

You would be amazed at how much stuff you can donate and don't really need.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:12 PM

MG120 - The problem with your approach is you might forget what you put in the box - and buy a new version of something you put in the box . The only stuff I put in boxes are holiday decorations - financial records (which get shredded past X years). And then there's a box of misc. electronics stuff - like all kinds of wires and cables. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement