Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 09:13 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,319 times

Advertisements

In my state there was a 25 percent increase in electricity rate in 2012, along with 25 percent increase in water. My utility also has a scam called payment in lieu of taxes, which is a 12 percent charge tacked onto the total of the bill. These aren't reflected in the rates of the chart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 10:14 AM

931 posts, read 2,134,836 times
In Texas we used to have rates set by Regulatory Commission that looked out for Consumers. Now we are deregulated and our rates are double or triple what they were before deregulation. Its strange the idea about deregulation was it would make for competition. So far all I have seen is highest electric bills I have ever had.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:25 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
It wouln'td have stayed low even with regulation. Look at other things like auto insurance which is regulated it is much higher than past. My water ;sewer and garabage are government controlled and gone much higher as have my taxes to local government for other services.I had a palce thqat had co=op power and it was cheaper but the servie was not good and it took forever to get power back after a storm because of fewer epope per household to service to cut cost. the little i saved was not worth the trouble it caused.just lookig at all the taxes palce on service by local ;state and federal governamnt now says alot about now they are looking out for. Most states make more off a gallon of gas than an oil company goes.

Last edited by texdav; 03-29-2012 at 10:43 AM..

Old 03-29-2012, 01:00 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,820,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
In my state there was a 25 percent increase in electricity rate in 2012, along with 25 percent increase in water. My utility also has a scam called payment in lieu of taxes, which is a 12 percent charge tacked onto the total of the bill. These aren't reflected in the rates of the chart
The chart I included in this thread is only for rates in 2009 and 2010, so the big increase you experienced wouldn't show up on this chart, a dramatic increase. Can you also explain the "payment in lieu of taxes" a bit more? Does everyone get the 12% added to their bill? By the way, what state are you in? Thanks for updated utility the info.

If anyone has a more current map or set of 2011 or 2012 rates, I would appreciate having the link.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:05 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,820,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete53FR View Post
In Texas we used to have rates set by Regulatory Commission that looked out for Consumers. Now we are deregulated and our rates are double or triple what they were before deregulation. Its strange the idea about deregulation was it would make for competition. So far all I have seen is highest electric bills I have ever had.
No surprise there. In my experience, private companies use "competition" to get what they want (for example, de-regulation), and then raise prices to what the market will bear. Most of us are hostage to the utilities, unless you live off the grid and produce your own energy supplies.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:54 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
The chart I included in this thread is only for rates in 2009 and 2010, so the big increase you experienced wouldn't show up on this chart, a dramatic increase. Can you also explain the "payment in lieu of taxes" a bit more? Does everyone get the 12% added to their bill? By the way, what state are you in? Thanks for updated utility the info.

If anyone has a more current map or set of 2011 or 2012 rates, I would appreciate having the link.
I know the table was only for 2010 -- just wanted to give a heads up to people that things have increased dramatically and not depend on that.

"Payment in lieu of taxes" is a hidden property tax that you are not allowed to deduct on your income tax. Language taken from my utility bill:

"PILOT (payment in lieu of taxes) -- a portion of your bill for services is payment to the City in lieu of tax that would have been paid if this was a private utility."

And I am also charged a Water Plan Tax along with a sales tax.

And yes, it is 11.9% added to each bill and it is based on the total amount of the bill. Nice little racket they got going there.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:03 AM

931 posts, read 2,134,836 times
In Texas the Company that overpaid for TXU aka Texas Electric Utilities is unsustainable and eventually is going to fail. God help the consumers when this happens.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:47 PM

106,654 posts, read 108,810,853 times
electric rates vary by alot depending on location and what power sources are available.

rates also can depend on the security and reliability of the service.

rates here in nyc are very high but our service is under ground. its extremely reliable and not weather effected. its also extrememly costly to do that way.

by comparison every lightning flash our lights in pa flicker as well as we lose power with storms, ice and traffic accidents.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:10 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,076,689 times
Con Ed [NYC] and LILCO [Long Island] have the highest rates in the U.S.
FPL [large areas of FL] the rates are about half per kwh that of CE and LILCO FPL is .052 first 1000 kwh non-fuel plus .033 fuel surcharge, total is .085 for the first 1000 kwh

Old 03-31-2012, 05:15 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,577,788 times
$.068 per Kw hour here in Niagara Falls On. That not including a bunch of other charges for delivery and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement