Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2012, 11:29 AM

683 posts, read 465,002 times

Advertisements

Once a week they analyze how far people can go financially in retirement. Usually they have people in their mid 60s (married couple) who still work with about 1.5 million saved at are expecting social security of about $20,000 for each of them, etc.

The people ask "when can I stop working" and the advisors always say, "Well, you probably need to work a few more years, move your portfolio around just a bit...tweek it here and there..."

Wait a minute....work a few more years so they don't outlive their money?

Can people who are in their mid 60s...still working etc., looking forward to at least $40,000 in SS and taking money out of the nest egg really face running out of money (let's remove healthcare/nursing home/assisted living) out of the equation here.

How can that be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 02:02 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzsaz View Post
Once a week they analyze how far people can go financially in retirement. Usually they have people in their mid 60s (married couple) who still work with about 1.5 million saved at are expecting social security of about $20,000 for each of them, etc.

The people ask "when can I stop working" and the advisors always say, "Well, you probably need to work a few more years, move your portfolio around just a bit...tweek it here and there..."

Wait a minute....work a few more years so they don't outlive their money?

Can people who are in their mid 60s...still working etc., looking forward to at least $40,000 in SS and taking money out of the nest egg really face running out of money (let's remove healthcare/nursing home/assisted living) out of the equation here.

How can that be?
Probably because it is impossible to move those things out of the equation and have a valid amount needed. Did they live in Jersey? If so thats half the battle.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:19 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Easy answer: The more money you invest with those so-called advisors, the more they make.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:00 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,373,540 times
When I lived in the Garden State from 1990 to 1993, I read the Star Ledger almost every day. My friends who were mostly readers of the NY Times would always ask what's new in the Star Gazer.

I am guessing that some of the writers for the Star Ledger's business section are thinking their base of readers live in Summit, Upper Saddle River, Far Hills or Peapack (high income burbs in northern NJ). 1.5 million doesn't go far in those zip codes and memberships at the private clubs are not cheap either. Annual property taxes in those zip codes are more than the cost of many new cars, and those exotic vacations add up too.

Although NJ is the wealthiest state in the USA per capita, I am guessing the other 95 percent of the households in the garden state don't have anywhere close to a nest egg of 1.5 mil to tap into after retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement