Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 12:30 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
We've never been to Wyoming in the summer - only in the winter. It was quite pleasant. Except for the day we decided to take a 90 mile RT tour to Yellowstone on snowmobiles. There was a blizzard that day - and my arms were frozen in my driving position for the next 3 days.
But now that it's over aren't you glad you did it?

Quote:
FWIW - you can forget about living in a shack near Everglades Park (don't think you can build one *in* the Everglades) - even in the winter. The mosquitoes will carry you away (we went canoeing there a few times in the winter - and the bugs were simply awful). Robyn
I knew I couldn't do that in the park but thought there were similar areas outside of the park where I could. Well, that leaves the Louisiana bayou country. The people there are like the country people in France. If you make any attempt, no matter how bad, to speak French (forget the Cajun dialect) they'll be your friends forever.

I guess I was lucky in that I never saw or felt a single mosquito or any other noxious bug. I do, however, remember a cute little scorpion on a small island not far from Flamingo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 02:23 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,667,816 times
Florida or wherever aside, reasons for moving/retiring to warmer climate are no snow, no below freezing temps, no snow tires, local Lowes does not sell snowblowers/snow shovels, fair weather sports like golf/boating/fishing can be enjoyed year round, cheaper taxes, down buying in home size/cost, early cocktail time, etc. It is a myriad of reasons but many (not where) mainly centered around mild weather.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:38 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
But now that it's over aren't you glad you did it? ...

I knew I couldn't do that in the park but thought there were similar areas outside of the park where I could. Well, that leaves the Louisiana bayou country. The people there are like the country people in France. If you make any attempt, no matter how bad, to speak French (forget the Cajun dialect) they'll be your friends forever.

I guess I was lucky in that I never saw or felt a single mosquito or any other noxious bug. I do, however, remember a cute little scorpion on a small island not far from Flamingo.
Of course I'm glad I did it. Although I wish I had checked the fine print (I thought the "included lunch" would be served in a lodge where we could warm up - but it was served outside at a picnic table ).

There are certainly places outside Everglades National Park. But - in many cases - they're suburbs built to the edge of the Everglades. Or - to the south (around Homestead or so) there's agricultural land. FWIW - the dominant language in that part of Florida is Spanish. I recall some very small rural towns down there - like Ochopee (population 500). But the last time I passed through them was a long time ago. I don't have a clue what they're like today.

If you didn't encounter any mosquitoes in Flamingo - you must have unusual body chemistry. Perhaps you should patent it and sell it as a bug repellent . Robyn

Old 04-15-2012, 02:57 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Quote:
I apologize for the Wyoming propaganda; but I truly love my home and think it's the best place on the face of the earth.
There is much to recommend Wyoming. My mother grew up in Kemmerer. If you like small towns and open spaces (you can count me in that group) only Alaska is more "wide open". Yellowstone National Park is a joy to visit in the summer and winter both.

Before the rules got changed it was almost an annual thing for me to go snowmobiling in Yellowstone around February. When they started requiring people to sign up for a guided tour, I quit. DW and I enjoyed doing it too much on our own. There was something neat about driving up to Old Faithful on a snowmobile and not having to contend with crowds.

One aspect of Wyoming that is quite pleasant and unique are "public fishing grounds". The state maintains a series of fishing areas for residents to use.

All in all, its just too cold a place for me in the winter. However, in the summer, if I could afford it, a cabin near Jackson Hole sounds like a pretty good retirement home.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:15 PM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,073 times
Although I grew up in Pennsylvania, I've lived in Florida for almost 40 years, about 25 years in Miami and the last 15 in Tallahassee. For four years I had a job that required frequent travel all over the state, plus I've done a lot of touring all over Florida. I'm telling you this so you'll understand I've seen a great deal of the state of Florida.

Florida is a very large state -- from Pensacola to Key West is well over 800 miles. We have more than 19 million people. There's very little about which you can generalize when it comes to Florida.

Yes, the summers are hot and humid throughout the state, although the summer starts later and ends earlier up here in the north than it does in south Florida. Yes, there are bugs and snakes and alligators throughout the state. We have an exterminator do outdoor service every six weeks and (knock wood) we don't get bugs indoors, except the random fly-in once in a while. I have to say, though, that the biggest cockroaches I ever saw were in Illinois.

But you really can't vacation in one area of Florida and decide you "know" Florida. Orlando is not Disney. Tallahassee is hilly and has live oak trees dripping with Spanish moss, and looks more like other Deep South cities than it does like Tampa or Boca Raton. Miami is like nothing else anywhere. Not all seniors live in ghettoes. Not all counties in Florida are politically conservative. Not all residential areas are difficult to insure. Not all parts of Florida are hurricane magnets -- there hasn't been a hurricane hit Tallahassee since 1985 (still knocking wood). There was a more recent measurable snowfall here.

In short, it's an enormously diverse state. If you're thinking of moving here, I suggest that you do a lot of research, and rent a place to live so you can continue to look around. Just don't fall into the trap of thinking that Florida is all anything from north to south.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:24 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Heck - it is so diverse that every time I go to Tallahassee in the spring - I cannot resist going to Tallahassee Nurseries (wonderful garden place - one of my favorites in the whole state). And buying something like a dogwood or a Bradford pear that will shortly give up the ghost when I plant it here in NE Florida. Robyn

Old 04-15-2012, 07:44 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Of course I'm glad I did it. Although I wish I had checked the fine print (I thought the "included lunch" would be served in a lodge where we could warm up - but it was served outside at a picnic table )
You'll never be able to have a picnic in the snow where you live. A picnic in the snow with good companions and endless pitchers of ice-cold lemonade, that's the life.

If you didn't encounter any mosquitoes in Flamingo - you must have unusual body chemistry. Perhaps you should patent it and sell it as a bug repellent . Robyn [/quote]

I swear it's true. It was early March with dry weather.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:34 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellshonemoon View Post
not all parts of florida are hurricane magnets -- there hasn't been a hurricane hit tallahassee since 1985 (still knocking wood).

Old 04-16-2012, 09:02 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
I lived in Tampa for 30 years and then moved away. I liked Tampa but I was ready for a slower pace and a safer place. I have to agree with many who say you can not compare one area to another as FL is different depending on where you live. I like many of the smaller cities. I never minded the hot weather but it does stay hot for much longer than other areas. I will take a hurricane over a tornado anytime. Yes I now live in tornado valley now and I am not a fan of those. There is not much of a spring or fall. I love Key West too.

You need to move down and check it out. Rent a place and see if you like it.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:13 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I lived in Tampa for 30 years and then moved away. I liked Tampa but I was ready for a slower pace and a safer place.

You need to move down and check it out. Rent a place and see if you like it.
Just shows that one size doesn't fit all. I found Tampa and all of FL to be too laid back (have lived near Chicago for the past 20 years), so I laughed when I read "ready for a slower pace" in your post! Just shows that it's all in what each of us is used to and prefer - and confirms how true your last two sentences are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement