U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-19-2012, 04:50 AM

2,594 posts, read 2,103,492 times
I still write, and I get published in a monthly newsletter. I'm not having problems with creativity but I'm amazed at how subtly different it's been lately, more frank, honest words seem to formulate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-19-2012, 06:28 AM

18,465 posts, read 12,570,370 times
I'm more creative--it's what happens when you have more time but less money. None of my creativity is what you'd call cutting edge. Fortunately I couldn't give a hoot about being cutting edge--I create for the joy of creating and the joy of being frugal, not to be innovative.

The most recent thing I did creatively was to make about 20 cement mushrooms for my garden in the side yard. The garden center wanted $20 a piece for tiny ones, so I made my own set. Much bigger and the whole project cost $8, not $400.

Cement mushrooms may not be fine art, but this project really challenged my creativity. Just figuring out how to make them was creative. Figuring out how to use everyday trash items as molds (so the project didn't cost a fortune) was even more creative. Making them weatherproof and deer proof challenged my creativity, as did adding some elements to attract birds. Painting them was especially creative--they're all different colors and have spots and squiggles and lines. One sort of looks like a pizza. Placing them in the garden also challenged my creativity.

So a very creative project that certainly stimulated my brain, but not in any way cutting edge.

Unread 04-19-2012, 07:02 AM

387 posts, read 290,652 times
I believe creative people are always creative. There are many authors, artists, and musicians in their 80s and 90s. My dad was getting patents on his inventions until he was 80, when a long-term illness finally caught up with him and ended his life.

At every age we have the opportunity to reflect our unique and ever-changing view of life in our creative work.

Unread 04-19-2012, 07:15 AM

10,654 posts, read 6,380,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Cement mushrooms may not be fine art, but this project really challenged my creativity. Just figuring out how to make them was creative. Figuring out how to use everyday trash items as molds (so the project didn't cost a fortune) was even more creative. Making them weatherproof and deer proof challenged my creativity, as did adding some elements to attract birds. Painting them was especially creative--they're all different colors and have spots and squiggles and lines. One sort of looks like a pizza. Placing them in the garden also challenged my creativity.
Seems pretty creative to me. I'd love to design a unique birdbath but wouldn't have the slightest clue how to actually make it.

Unread 04-19-2012, 07:17 AM

10,654 posts, read 6,380,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
I still write, and I get published in a monthly newsletter. I'm not having problems with creativity but I'm amazed at how subtly different it's been lately, more frank, honest words seem to formulate.
That's most interesting, going deeper as you get older. Seems like a wonderful reward for all the years of writing.

Unread 04-19-2012, 09:03 AM

18,465 posts, read 12,570,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Seems pretty creative to me. I'd love to design a unique birdbath but wouldn't have the slightest clue how to actually make it.
Two ideas:

1. Go to Salvation Army and look for anything that would be bowl shaped. A lamp shade, a large plastic salad bowl, a punch bowl, whatever's cheap. If it has a hole in the middle (lampshade, for example) you can always tape something over the hole. Spray with Pam (this is important or the cement won't come out of your mold). Mix cement and use the bowl as a mold. Let cement cure 24 hours, but be sure to pop it out of the mold at that point because once another day goes by you may not be able to get it out. If you need a stand, follow the same process using a large tube of some sort. Be sure to pack the cement firmly into the tube, as it sometimes the cement doesn't go all the way to the middle. To be honest, I'd just use a tree stump instead of making a stand.

2. Make a sand cast using a large leaf. I did this project using an elephant ear leaf and it looks really cool. Making a Sand-Cast Birdbath - Instructions: GardenGateMagazine.com - Issue 53 Online Extra

Spray with clear Rustoleum to make waterproof.

Unread 04-19-2012, 11:38 AM

9,621 posts, read 12,016,660 times
I've never been creative, and don't expect that to change with age!
One friend told me I was creative in how I shaped my life, but it's hard for me to see that- I just do what I do. No talent whatsoever. My ability with words is restricted to news-type writing or a good letter to the editor. Doesn't feel creative, just clear. I have always wished I had a creative ability but, no.
I believe some math/music early geniuses supposedly top out around age 30, but they were prodigies to begin with.
I sort of think that if anyone had a strong creative urge, they would have found a way to use it before older age. But yes, mind-numbing jobs (or relationships for that matter) could make anyone dormant.

Unread 04-19-2012, 02:50 PM

213 posts, read 184,674 times
It also depends a lot on the area of endeavor. Physicists, and most scientists I think, make their greatest contributions when young; when they are striving to understand their discipline and make a name for themselves. Later they will move more into teaching, admin and mentoring younger folks. Architects have a long learning curve, they serve an apprenticeship and see a few buildings through design, construction, and occupation by owners, before they create their masterworks in their 50's and 60's. I think fine artists can can go on well into old age, as long as they find fresh inspiration. Some, like Grandma Moses, didn't even take it up until late in life.

Unread 04-19-2012, 03:43 PM

8,112 posts, read 9,575,206 times
I enjoy my clay club here very much and have had the pleasure of meeting some older gals, some over 80, who can throw some very beautiful pots and some sculpt professionaly. They are inspiring and don't seem to be at a loss for creative moments.

Unread 04-20-2012, 09:35 AM

21,077 posts, read 15,183,338 times
I suppose to be creative in old age, you would have had to have been creative in "young age." That ship sailed the day I took my first breath.

That doesn't mean I don't appreciate everyone else's talent. I don't know what we'd do without you creative types.

Let's just say I won't be weaving a basket, crocheting a sweater, painting a seascape, designing a dress, composing music, inventing the wheel anytime soon. Even my photos aren't artsy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement