Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 01:44 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times

Advertisements

According to medical and health experts, excess weight has implications in heart disease and diabetes for sure, and possibly cancer.

One reason American health care costs more: We’re fat and getting fatter - The Washington Post

Although I'm not fat by any means, I need to shed some weight. Exercise of choice: walking every day (cannot do hard impact).

Diet: very good, but a tad high on carbs & sweets

Tips, anyone? What has worked the most dramatically for you in terms of keeping off weight post-retirement? What has worked the least?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 02:17 PM

342 posts, read 717,087 times
When I was in my early teens, I became quite chunky. Struggled for several years with all sorts of diets, none of which worked long. I have a sweet tooth, and I would deprive myself of all sweets, which would work until it didn't, and then I would go on a binge. Finally, I learned to just eat less of everything, eat very slowly and savor every bite. I found I was content with much less food, because I made a point of enjoying what I did eat.

I've kept that weight off for all these years, mostly because in addition to the above I weigh myself daily. I have a range of 3 - 4 pounds that I stay in. If I've gained those couple of pounds, I really get religious about watching my intake until the few pounds are gone. Much easier to lose 3 pounds than twenty.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:35 PM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
A friend told me there are two sure-fire ways to lose weight: get sick, or get divorced. I don't recommend either.

But really, losing weight is easy -- there are only three rules: eat less, drink less (alcohol), exercise more.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:41 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
Don't drink alcohol, eat lots of fruits and vegetables. Be active, really active - not 20s intensity - just 10 to 15 hours a week of movement, bending, squatting.

Nothing fancy, just basic.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Don't drink alcohol, eat lots of fruits and vegetables. .
Not even a single or half glass of wine per night??

Old 02-21-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
A friend told me there are two sure-fire ways to lose weight: get sick, or get divorced. I don't recommend either.

But really, losing weight is easy -- there are only three rules: eat less, drink less (alcohol), exercise more.
None of this has worked for me.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:08 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
I loathed my last year of work and pretty much ate my way through it gaining 60 pounds. Once I retired, we moved and purchased our retirement home, I lost 30 of those pounds with hard work around the house and on our property but the last 30 pounds remained stubbornly with me.

Then my wife (who had also gained) and I came across The 17 Day Diet (you can Google it) and began that regimen. It really was painless and we never felt deprived in any way. It's all about healthy, balanced eating allowing enough healthy fat to maintain the body's real needs, cutting our sugar (using natural, plant-based substitutes) and eating no carbohydrates, including fruit, after 2:00 p.m. Lots of white meat chicken and fish, fresh fruit and vegetables but enough other variety to keep you "honest."

The diet consists of three, 17-Day phases and during the first one we each lost over 10 pounds. By the end of the third cycle I'd lost the last 20 pounds. We also walked daily for exercise. We highly recommend it.

And NEG, after Cycle 2, a couple of glasses of red wine a day are OK.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I loathed my last year of work and pretty much ate my way through it gaining 60 pounds. Once I retired, we moved and purchased our retirement home, I lost 30 of those pounds with hard work around the house and on our property but the last 30 pounds remained stubbornly with me.

Then my wife (who had also gained) and I came across The 17 Day Diet (you can Google it) and began that regimen. It really was painless and we never felt deprived in any way. It's all about healthy, balanced eating allowing enough healthy fat to maintain the body's real needs, cutting our sugar (using natural, plant-based substitutes) and eating no carbohydrates, including fruit, after 2:00 p.m. Lots of white meat chicken and fish, fresh fruit and vegetables but enough other variety to keep you "honest."

The diet consists of three, 17-Day phases and during the first one we each lost over 10 pounds. By the end of the third cycle I'd lost the last 20 pounds. We also walked daily for exercise. We highly recommend it.

And NEG, after Cycle 2, a couple of glasses of red wine a day are OK.
I think you've hit the nail on the head. I walk in the morning, and contrary to the best advice for some reason I cannot eat a big breakfast. Although I eat top quality foods, I tend to eat more as the day goes on and I usually do have carb(s) after 2:00 pm.

I will eagerly look for the 17 Day Diet. What do you mean by other variety?

Old 02-22-2012, 07:05 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I think you've hit the nail on the head. I walk in the morning, and contrary to the best advice for some reason I cannot eat a big breakfast. Although I eat top quality foods, I tend to eat more as the day goes on and I usually do have carb(s) after 2:00 pm.

I will eagerly look for the 17 Day Diet. What do you mean by other variety?
Each cycle adds to the list of "allowable" foods, shellfish, lean pork, lean steak (sirloin), even ground chuck, more varieties of vegetables, etc. The book has recipes for soups, healthy, low calorie cookies (they're delicious) and other things.

We did NOT cut out coffee with our splash of 1/2&1/2 as recommended - some things ya just don't let go of - but it didn't seem to hurt us at all. Breakfast is always a fruit smoothie made with kefir and sweetened with agave nectar and for snack we'll often have homemade yogurt which gives us the two daily probiotics recommended. If you buy the book (available from Amazon and not expensive) you'll see what I mean.

I think you'll like it.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:35 AM

8,948 posts, read 20,372,776 times
We won't totally give up on our Bud Light, margarita or red wine AND still enjoy a good steak (cooked by me or at a restaurant), BBQ'd ribs (by me), Mexican food, spaghetti/meatball dinner (wife), meatloaf (me), potato salad (wife) and a new food item......bacon wrapped salmon.
Exercise, well, definitely get more during the Spring/Summer months (power boating) than winter here (even though our winter here in northeast FL is not really a "winter" for-to-say). We walk, but can't walk for a lot. My past ankle surgery, hip replacement and rotator cuff surgeries stop us from doing to much exercising, but walking we can do........just not enough sometimes. We could definitely lose some 20 pounds, but aren't as dedicated about it as we could be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement