U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 02:43 PM

6,023 posts, read 3,223,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Retiring at 50 has not worked out for me...I am pushing 62 and to retire without money makes me feel horribly guilty that I did not prepare.
Begs the question - Why did you not prepare [for retirement]?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 03:21 PM

2,228 posts, read 1,792,279 times
I retired at 55 and did not feel guilty for one minute. When people asked what I was going to do all day I told them I would finally have time for all the things one can't do when working 45 - 55 hours a week for 3 decades.

I stuck with a job that I came to hate because of the great retirement benefits. I actually got a raise of about $200.00 a year over what my base pay had been. Of course most years I earned quite a bit more due to all the required overtime.

Much of my time now is spent "working" as a volunteer with my local humane society, fostering dogs, trapping feral cats, staffing adoption and fund raising events, handling the email account, etc.

We did our spring Rabies Clinic today. Did about 50 critters at the location I worked, probably more than that at the other location. The low cost spay/neuter clinic that we use said we can bring as many as 40 feral cats to fix on Wednesday so Tuesday we will try to trap as many as possible at several locations. My current foster dog will also go to be "tutored" that day.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:34 PM

6,939 posts, read 3,002,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1717Guy View Post
I retired at 54 and sometimes talking to other people still working past that or way past that age I feel at leat uncomfortable talking about it. Especially about what I do or don't do all day.

Any comments or experiences?
Guilt. You feel guilty about something. That's why you feel the way you do. I don't have that sense of guilt, because I haven't done anything to make me feel that way.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:01 PM

13,885 posts, read 4,256,199 times
Default Why are Seniors Only apartments to hard to locate?

I'm so sorry. I thought I was starting a new thread. Massive brain fart. So sorry.

Last edited by Dale Cooper; 04-21-2012 at 06:15 PM..

Old 04-22-2012, 10:56 AM

1,115 posts, read 794,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I'm so sorry. I thought I was starting a new thread. Massive brain fart. So sorry.
Hey don't feel badly - I still haven't figured out how one starts a new thread or how to respond to someone's post privately. Dazed and confused.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:16 PM

8,588 posts, read 5,962,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Hey don't feel badly - I still haven't figured out how one starts a new thread or how to respond to someone's post privately. Dazed and confused.
Starting a new thread is so easy you won't believe it. First, you need to be at the list of threads in a forum. If you are reading my post, it won't work. So first, click on "Retirement" to get back to the forum list of threads. Near the upper right-hand corner, but not in the extreme corner, you will see "Forum Tools". If you click on that, one of the options is "Post a new thread". Click on that and from there it's just like posting an answer to someone else.

To respond to someone's post privately, just click on that person's user name. Several options come up (or drop down, I should say), one of which will say "Send a direct message to LivingDeadGirl" (or whatever the name is). Click on that, and the direct message form appears with the recipient's name already filled in. Type in your response (message) and click on "Submit" near the bottom.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:16 PM

156 posts, read 187,746 times
I retired at 50 and don't look back and never will .I love being retired, but I do keep busy and like doing things around my house and on my property .I built a koi pond to enjoy and just mowing the grass on 3 acres is relaxing .I find my walks the most enjoyable .I feel the same if you can afford to retire and give the younger people a chance why not .I feel I will live longer without the stress of my job .I had my 2 sons in my 20's and 30's and now I 'm child free and have my dogs to love and neighbors that are friendly .

Old 04-23-2012, 04:47 PM

691 posts, read 455,242 times
No guilt at all here. When people ask me stupid questions, I just smile and say, "Whatever I want to do, whenever I want." I have to add that life is good.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:03 PM

7,921 posts, read 1,901,130 times
Nope. I'm looking forward to doing things that are not financially motivated.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:41 PM

7,006 posts, read 9,286,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
But I do keep quiet about our pension. My husband coined it as 'pension envy' and there's a lot of it going around right now. Americans all want what someone else has these days regardless of the sacrifices made along the way. Pensions should be secret.
I wouldn't worry -- you can turn it back on them. And tell them -- pensions aren't as guarenteed as everyone thinks. Pensions have gone broke and stopped paying. United Airlines did something like that years ago, if I recall.

You know -- we didn't have the option of a pension. And for the longest time my husband didn't have access to a 401K. So we knew it was our resposibility to save for our retirement... so we saved. And we'll probably do better than if we had had a pension, given our jobs were lower pay scale jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement