Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 05:42 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I don't think I have a purpose other than whatever influence I may have by touching other people's lives and theirs mine.

I think about my cat. Was it my purpose to adopt her from the shelter? If I hadn't, someone else undoubtedly would have. So did that make it my purpose to take her home and take care of her? What if a mean person had adopted her had I been out of the picture? And she was abused? Did I save her from a miserable life of abuse? Or if I hadn't adopted her, could she have possibly gone to a better home than the one I gave her?

I don't know how to define a purpose. I believe we are born, things happen for whatever reason and then it's the end. Right now my purpose is to fulfill my present plans hopefully with some success. As far as a grand purpose, I am not going to invent a cure for Cancer or save the world.

I think my purpose is just to be until I no longer am.
That can be far more significant than you can ever imagine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 06:17 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Because God gave us the mind and ability to think and guide this world for better or worse. We are in the position to have far greater impact on events and other people when allowed to be free and practice self determinism and to share our path with others. Sorry but I clearly feel my life has been much more than that of a fish in a tank. I really believe we as people were created with far more potential and opportunity to realize our dreams (which we can) and goals. Perhaps how people feel about this is a function of faith? I don't know but I would hope all for what ever reason believe in and live a purposeful life that extends beyond just them.
The mark of true human purpose doesn't center on our own personal path and goals and successes ("little purpose" as pursued in the developing aspect of life). As Jesus taught, there is a larger purpose, presented beautifully in Richard Rohr's "Falling Upward, A Spirituality for the Two Halves of Life." One does not have to be of any religion to get his thesis, which draws on the great mythologies of the world. Rohr's work really gives me a lot to think about.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:18 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
If one believes they have a creator, then how can one not believe they have a purpose? Jesus said, "I have come that you may have life... and have it more abundantly." He was speaking about Spiritual life (rebirth) ... lived in relationship with God. God has then given us Spiritual Gifts that, when empowered by the indwelling Holy Spirit, enable us to achieve God's purpose for us in this life.

Of course, if one chooses to declare themselves 'evolved from swamp gas', then they can similarly conclude that they have no 'higher accountability' than to themselves.

This is about life itself ... and has little/nothing to do with 'religion'

Old 04-21-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
The mark of true human purpose doesn't center on our own personal path and goals and successes ("little purpose" as pursued in the developing aspect of life). As Jesus taught, there is a larger purpose, presented beautifully in Richard Rohr's "Falling Upward, A Spirituality for the Two Halves of Life." One does not have to be of any religion to get his thesis, which draws on the great mythologies of the world. Rohr's work really gives me a lot to think about.
Many people impact the lives of 100's if not thousands yearly. Those many can go on to have significant impacts on hundreds of thousands if not millions of people and help guide the course of a society.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
For forum particpants not familiar with
Mission & Vision

Quote:
Our Vision

The Center for Action and Contemplation supports a new reformation—from the inside—
~ In the spirit of a Cosmic Christ
~ Confirming people's deeper spiritual intuitions
~ Encouraging actions of justice rooted in prayer
~ With a new appreciation for, and cooperation with,
other denominations, religions, and cultures

Our Mission

“We are a center for experiential education, rooted in the Gospels, encouraging the transformation of human consciousness through contemplation, and equipping people to be instruments of peaceful change in the world.”

Our Core Principles
•The teaching of Jesus is our central reference point. (criterion)
•We need a contemplative mind in order to do compassionate action. (process)
•The best criticism of the bad is the practice of the better. Oppositional energy only creates more of the same. (emphasis)
•Practical truth is more likely found at the bottom and the edges than at the top or the center of most groups, institutions, and cultures. (perspective)
•We will support true authority, the ability to "author" life in others, regardless of the group. (non tribal)
•Life is about discovering the right questions more than having the right answers. (primacy of discernment)
•True religion leads us to an experience of our True Self and undermines my false self. (ultimate direction)
•We do not think ourselves into a new way of living, but we live ourselves into a new way of thinking. (praxis over theory)
Quote:
The journey to happiness involves finding the courage to go down into ourselves and take responsibility for what's there: all of it.

—Richard Rohr

Old 04-22-2012, 02:04 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,966,721 times
None of us know how many people's lives we have touched over the years. We have encountered and interacted with hundreds or even thousands of people in work, church and play. I received a call sometime ago from a person that I hired and trained when she was just out of school. I was rough on her demanding her best. She thanked me for what I did and told me when she has to train a new employee she informs them she was taught by the best and demands their best out of them.

I just know I have fought a good fight, I have kept the faith but I haven't finished the race yet. So who knows what is next for me. I do know I was in a terrible accident and in ICU for weeks then transferred to a ReHab Hospital for two months, then outpatient therapy for a year. So for whatever the reason it wasn't my time to go, I was needed here for something.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:58 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
I don't believe in any pre-ordained purpose.
My personal set of ethics demands that my purpose at any one time is to be responsible for what I have caused or created.
On the other hand, perhaps I am wrong and my purpose is to create situations for others to take care of, giving them a purpose.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:31 AM

450 posts, read 1,059,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I dont believe anyone has a purpose and in fact, feel it egotistical to even think that. In the end we are all forgotten and nothing matters. There are zillions of us and zillions more to come and go. So what?
Hmmm, interesting point of view. Do you hold to any particular religious view?

Old 04-22-2012, 09:46 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnyer View Post
Hmmm, interesting point of view. Do you hold to any particular religious view?
No, none at all. However, due to my experiences in life, I am convinced that everything has energy and that energy survives. I LOVE reading quantum theories as it tends to explain things. Then again, I'm from Binghamton, home of Rod Serling (Twilight Zone) and anyone who watches that growing up, is likely to develope a skewed view of the world!

There is a big difference between a perceived purpose in life, and one's conduct in life. I go thru life attempting to be kind, helpful, compassionate. But I have NO purpose. How could I? There is NO plan because if there were, it would have to be formed by some other, unseen/perceived intelligence. If anything at all, we are nothing but some gone-wrong alien child's science experiment!

Old 04-22-2012, 10:07 AM

12,040 posts, read 6,568,955 times
I don't think we get to know what our purpose is.

It feels like I am a vehicle that life moves through, influencing an infinite amount of other things, and I try to steer and fuel this vehicle towards/with kindness and humility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement