Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 11:14 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,114,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Perhaps that is why it is called being saved. However is there really a difference in many of the belief systems? There may be multiple paths but some are on no path.
I think I understand what you are saying, but I two things have come to mind after reflecting on what you wrote, both of which are essentially non-religious, one being a song and the other a book.

A Brazilian songwriter, Cartola, I believe, wrote a very lovely song many years ago about an incident in his family. The song O mundo é um moinho/The world is a mill has been popular there ever since.

He and his family lived in one of Brazil's favelas, and one day a very young daughter announced to him that she wanted to leave home. In response he wrote this song, which begins "Pay attention, child..." and then describes the difficulties of making your way easily or happily through life, but it is the last line of the verse which is appropriate here. He wrote, and I'm paraphrasing from memory.

"...and one day you may find yourself at the edge of an abyss,
standing on a path you dug with your own feet."

The other thing that came to mind was from Lewis Carroll, when Alice seeks some advice from the Cheshire Cat:

"Cheshire-Puss," she began, rather timidly, as she did not at all know whether it would like the name: however, it only grinned a little wider. "Come, it's pleased so far," thought Alice, and she went on. "Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"

"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.

"I don’t much care where—" said Alice.

"Then it doesn't matter which way you go," said the Cat.

"—so long as I get somewhere," Alice added as an explanation.

"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."

Thus, I think being on no path is something like the Path of Unawareness, perhaps not unrelated - or at least tangential - to the old saying that "the road to hell is paved with good intentions."

An embarrassing number of times in my life I have arrived at some very unpleasant point, only to see that I had quite clearly been headed there for a long time had I only paid attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 09:01 AM

335 posts, read 333,679 times
Thanks for the passage from Lewis Carroll. The conclusion I reach is whether on a path (plan) or not, you eventually get somewhere.

There is another saying: "Life is what happens while we are making plans."

My attitude, I guess, is something like, "Live in the present, don't worry overmuch about the future, but do worry about it a little."

Old 12-08-2012, 10:24 AM

125 posts, read 227,727 times
I think everyone has the potential to fulfill their purpose in life. In our society it can simply just being employed and having a role of contributing to it. Or maybe doing volunteer work for the sake of bettering our society. Or even being a homemaker, supporting the bread winner, and raising kids and being a role model to becoming productive members of society with good values. Being a good father, mother, brother, friend, neighbor, etc. all in the name of advancing mankind to future generations.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:28 AM

19,145 posts, read 16,535,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
This is why I dislike seeing these sorts of threads on the retirement forum. This is not the Philosophy Forum. It's not the Religion Forum. Go to those forums if you want to discuss the meaning life; we're supposed to talk about retirement here. Questions like this just end up making people bicker.
Although it is an interesting topic, I have to agree that this belongs in the philosophy section.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Although it is an interesting topic, I have to agree that this belongs in the philosophy section.
Perhaps, but perhaps not.

I tend to respond to messages I find that are interesting, and don't worry much about what category they fit into. It is is seriously out of place, it can always be moved, but I like it that the moderators here seem to intervene that way only rarely.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:25 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,630,754 times
I do not view life as demanding/requiring a purpose. If one wants such, then fine but it is not demanded of you to have such.

I do say be fair, honest, and help others.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
I do not view life as demanding/requiring a purpose. If one wants such, then fine but it is not demanded of you to have such.

I do say be fair, honest, and help others.
Of course. Too many people worry overmuch about purpose.

Still, I would also say that if you can find a purpose, and put it in a good place, it is a neat way to be happy.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:35 AM

19,145 posts, read 16,535,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Merton View Post
Perhaps, but perhaps not.

I tend to respond to messages I find that are interesting, and don't worry much about what category they fit into. It is is seriously out of place, it can always be moved, but I like it that the moderators here seem to intervene that way only rarely.
You're not alone. Most people here respond to the messages they find interesting. No offense, but it's a good thing you aren't in charge of organizing the sections and threads. This one is definitely philosophical in nature and not a question that's exclusively tuned to retired people. Most likely, it hasn't been moved because it hasn't been brought to anyone's attention other than a few comments on the thread, itself.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:42 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,732,233 times
I don't believe in big purposes--I used to, but I got over it.

Biologically, our purpose is to procreate, so if you have children, you've done that.

I also think it's our moral obligation to leave the planet in good shape for future generations. This is a tough one, I know, and one that we probably fail at. But it's good to try.

As for the future endeavors, like writing or art, I'm past the age I think where I'm going to accomplish anything noteworthy other than for myself.

So for the most part, my big purpose is to find as much joy in life as possible while I'm still here.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:10 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,985,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
So for the most part, my big purpose is to find as much joy in life as possible while I'm still here.
I like this one. I'm a jigsaw puzzle enthusiast, and sometimes think my place in the world is to be one of thousands and thousands of pieces. Each piece is unique, yet when connected we form a unifying picture that we can't imagine from our perspective--the picture can only be viewed from far away. My purpose is to connect with the other pieces around me and become part of the larger picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement