Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 09:34 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times

Advertisements

I find my life has tremendous meaning and purpose. Jesus Christ came into the world to earn eternal salvation for all mankind through His death on the cross and His resurrection from the dead. He established his church and spread His word throughout the world and still does today so that people might hear His words, believe and be saved from their sins. I have been given the task of being one of his who share in the task of bringing the good news of salvation for all to the world. So my life has great meaning and purpose since God works through me and empowers me to do his will, so that through His words God might bring others into the one true faith and be saved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 10:57 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Talk about ethnocentric - it's one thing to have your own personal beliefs, but quite another to project those on to "everyone." Very arrogant from my point-of-view.
Yeah from my point of view as well. Insisting there is only one path to discover one's purpose through a single belief system is going to leave a whole lot of people, the majority of the world in fact, without a purpose.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:14 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
May I gently point out that only some few people believe in the Christianity story as truth.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:23 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
This is why I dislike seeing these sorts of threads on the retirement forum. This is not the Philosophy Forum. It's not the Religion Forum. Go to those forums if you want to discuss the meaning life; we're supposed to talk about retirement here. Questions like this just end up making people bicker.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:14 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Yeah from my point of view as well. Insisting there is only one path to discover one's purpose through a single belief system is going to leave a whole lot of people, the majority of the world in fact, without a purpose.
Perhaps that is why it is called being saved. However is there really a difference in many of the belief systems? There may be multiple paths but some are on no path.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
This is why I dislike seeing these sorts of threads on the retirement forum. This is not the Philosophy Forum. It's not the Religion Forum. Go to those forums if you want to discuss the meaning life; we're supposed to talk about retirement here. Questions like this just end up making people bicker.
I hear you but a question asked is a question answered and for many the source of many answers is faith.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Talk about ethnocentric - it's one thing to have your own personal beliefs, but quite another to project those on to "everyone." Very arrogant from my point-of-view.
Yes a self centered view of the world with Christ as my guide. Yes you are right. Arrogance to me would be thinking that all I have is a result of my own labor and not a blessing to be thankful of and for.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:20 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I hear you but a question asked is a question answered and for many the source of many answers is faith.
Fair enough--you guys seem to enjoy these threads so who am I to hate them? Yet, I do. Guess it's a pet peeve--I count on you guys for support and information that goes down the drain when we start getting into polarizing "meaning of life" crap. IMO. Keep it in the Religion Forum. Again, my opinion.

As long as I'm on a rant, here's what I really think. I don't know why people think seniors have all the answers to the meaning of life just because we got old. To be honest, tthe older I get the more I realize how much I don't know. The only time in life I thought I had answers to the big questions in life was when I was in college and "knew everything."

Old 04-23-2012, 07:05 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Perhaps that is why it is called being saved. However is there really a difference in many of the belief systems? There may be multiple paths but some are on no path.
This is not addressing the OP's question and debate about it does not belong on this thread. So I respectfully decline to continue on with it.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Fair enough--you guys seem to enjoy these threads so who am I to hate them? Yet, I do. Guess it's a pet peeve--I count on you guys for support and information that goes down the drain when we start getting into polarizing "meaning of life" crap. IMO. Keep it in the Religion Forum. Again, my opinion.

As long as I'm on a rant, here's what I really think. I don't know why people think seniors have all the answers to the meaning of life just because we got old. To be honest, tthe older I get the more I realize how much I don't know. The only time in life I thought I had answers to the big questions in life was when I was in college and "knew everything."
What you are saying is we have acquired wisdom with time and perhaps that is of value to those who have not spent as much time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement