Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 10:10 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Yes, but the worse would be a tornado! And KS/MO both are prone to twisters.
Earthquakes are also harder on mobile/manufactured homes than stick built homes. I tried to dissuade a friend from buying one in California, and found an article stating that over 80% of mobile homes were damaged during the Northridge quake, compared with about 30% of regular homes. She ignored my advice because she was so heck-bent on the weather where she moved, and is finding that her "cheap" mobile home (10 years old, and not all that cheap as it's located in an expensive part of the state) has a lot of construction quality issues.

I honestly think I'd rather live in a relatively inexpensive apartment or condo than a mobile home park. I can see the initial appeal, but I think on closer examination there are better solutions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 04:45 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Earthquakes are also harder on mobile/manufactured homes than stick built homes. I tried to dissuade a friend from buying one in California, and found an article stating that over 80% of mobile homes were damaged during the Northridge quake, compared with about 30% of regular homes. She ignored my advice because she was so heck-bent on the weather where she moved, and is finding that her "cheap" mobile home (10 years old, and not all that cheap as it's located in an expensive part of the state) has a lot of construction quality issues.

I honestly think I'd rather live in a relatively inexpensive apartment or condo than a mobile home park. I can see the initial appeal, but I think on closer examination there are better solutions.
I am not at all a fan of mobile/manuactured homes - but that Northridge earthquake was a big one. A cousin of mine in a conventional house had extensive damage - and one of her kids might have been seriously injured/killed as a result of falling bookshelves had she not been spending the night at a friend's house.

Here in Florida - when it comes to these things - they are more prone to hurricane/tropical storm damage. Also sometimes difficult/expensive to insure. Robyn

Old 07-14-2013, 04:04 PM

16 posts, read 28,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozycrafter View Post
Still on the fence with this. Seems our best $$ option and trying to come to terms with it. So many down there doing it...they must like it. Hate to leave Midwest but in order to retire with already retired husband have to let go of something to make it happen and downsize.

Then to find the best community for young retirees in the $50,000 and lower cost of housing....?

Pros and cons?
If you'd like to buy, the late Michael G Freeman collected information about Resident Owned Communities (ROCs), especially in Florida. Although you do have to evacuate during hurricanes (if the home doesn't have a permanent foundation), ROCs can be very cost effective.

The data for Florida ROCs is here:
https://sites.google.com/site/reside...ovince/florida

I'd probably only consider a late model home so that the latest construction techniques are used for hurricane resistance, but there are many older model homes available if you're willing to take a chance on such and have a very tight budget.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:49 AM

3 posts, read 5,342 times
Ocala is peaceful & quiet ...good for thinkers, writers, artists, gardeners.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:52 AM

3 posts, read 5,342 times
Pine Run is site built.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:36 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I'd look into the insurance situation carefully. See for example:

Citizens downgrades coverage on mobile home policies, but not premiums » TCPalm.com

Robyn
I think we are talking pre fab ;not mobile homes as Op describes it. Pre-fab can be to hurricane specs to include stronger than most wooden frame normal homes to actual prefab concrete walls such as you see in commercial buildings so common. Japan its common in both hurricane and earthquake standards. I have seen even pre fab storage buildings standup to Rita(130MPH sustain winds and Ike winds 115) but not to surge; of course or flooding current from rivers etc. They are certainly built to new standard better than older home for most disasters. Certainly cheaper replacement cost which matters so much to insure. Have a friend and his pre fab is rated just like built on site homes now days after new standard were in place .I am sure places like NJ are going to see standards go up and non-compliance home rates go up.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:10 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think we are talking pre fab ;not mobile homes as Op describes it. Pre-fab can be to hurricane specs to include stronger than most wooden frame normal homes to actual prefab concrete walls such as you see in commercial buildings so common. Japan its common in both hurricane and earthquake standards. I have seen even pre fab storage buildings standup to Rita(130MPH sustain winds and Ike winds 115) but not to surge; of course or flooding current from rivers etc. They are certainly built to new standard better than older home for most disasters. Certainly cheaper replacement cost which matters so much to insure. Have a friend and his pre fab is rated just like built on site homes now days after new standard were in place .I am sure places like NJ are going to see standards go up and non-compliance home rates go up.
The article I linked said this:

Citizens spokesman John Kuczwanski confirmed the state-run insurer is implementing a state-mandated change requiring mobile and manufactured homes built prior to 1994 to be insured on an actual cash value depreciated basis. Essentially, those in manufactured homes insured by Citizens will be paying for less coverage, but their premiums will likely stay the same.

So I guess experiences will be different for newer places - but don't know what the differences might be. Robyn

Old 03-04-2014, 08:32 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozycrafter View Post
Still on the fence with this. Seems our best $$ option and trying to come to terms with it. So many down there doing it...they must like it. Hate to leave Midwest but in order to retire with already retired husband have to let go of something to make it happen and downsize.

Then to find the best community for young retirees in the $50,000 and lower cost of housing....?

Pros and cons?
I did not read all the posts so if a repeat, so be it.

One of the issues with mobile homes is not the house itself. There are some lovely mobile homes. The problems arise when one does not own the land it sits on. The land owner can pretty well do what they want when they want. Like sell the land and tell you to move on. Drastically increase the rent. Control/modify the amenities, etc.

Be aware and careful.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:57 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,709 times
I've enjoyed this old thread...been snowbirding in a condo, gulf coast FLA, but I have seen some pretty well-kept mobile home communities. It is great that there are a wide variety of choices for people, who have a wide variety of circumstances.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:47 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I had read an article once about the toxic materials in mobile homes, and that in combination with high heat does not seem to bode well. One can probably research this specifically to get the facts.

To the OP: I know nothing about Florida. But one of my best friends, before she passed away, lived in Del Ray year-round in a really nice condo and loved it. She was from here (the North) but adjusted to the climate really well.
Well toxic materials can be in even built homes having read about a lot of them.One reason to check a home before buying by having good inspector.. if your talking about the toxic sprayed insulation that again was mobile homes. Pre-Fab again are built pretty much like many commercial building or actual on site homes. But even with those mobile homes they were not has much problem as say the bad sheetrock put in many homes including updated awhile back because so few. But then older homes often have asbestos and even paint and other issues not thought about then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement