Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 02:35 AM

530 posts, read 1,340,293 times

Advertisements

My mother went to get her license renewed when she was around 81, in New Hampshire. She needed to take a road test. I pulled the examiner aside and told him that her MS really affected her ability to lift her foot quickly from the gas to the brake. She had to sometimes physically lift her leg to do so using her hand. Of course, he passed her!

About a year later, the first signs of dementia set in. I had to label the buttons for heat, lights, etc. in her car. I finally just told her she had to stop driving, that she was a hazard to herself and others. She didn't agree, but it was not only the right thing to do, I acted a bit too late, IMHO. I forced her to sell the car.

In her case, it became obvious. But it wasn't easy to do. Luckily she lived where a senior bus came and took everyone shopping, etc. so she didn't really need the car.

My grandpa was a great driver in his 80's, but someone stole his beloved car. They found it set on fire a few miles away. That just broke his heart and he refused to buy another car, and never drove again.

My neighbor is 88 and still drives a HUGE old Monte Carlo. Everyone scatters when they see her coming.

None of us looks forward to the day we need to stop driving, and I guess a fair amount of denial is involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 02:58 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Who decides when a senior-elder can no longer be issued (and keep) their driver's license?

Does "age" by itself, serve as a disqualifier?

I have a few relatives and their driver's license scenarios created the question.
Once a few people respond, I'll post some details.

Thanks.
Where I live (not the U.S.) once you reach 70, a doctor must certify your health and that you have passed the eye exam, and the form must be stamped with his official stamp with his registry number or that of the hospital. You can then apply by mail or in person. The license is good for two years only.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:19 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,130,360 times
I don't understand the mentality of the DMV. My mother went legally blind and went to the DMV to turn in her license. They had her take there eye test and because she had Diabetic retinopathy where her vision had holes in it, but she was able to move her eyes so that she could make out the letters in a spot that had vision they passed her and told her to keep her license.
A Legally BLIND person. I had a fit called the Head of DMV in the state and read them the riot act. then I told her how would she feel if a child chasing a ball ran out into one of her blind spots?
She went back and turned the license in and got state ID instead. She was 61 by the way.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:25 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,171 times
In Florida, if you have knowledge of a physical or mental disability that makes a driver unable to drive safely (regardless of age), you can report the driver to the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. Your report is kept confidential, and no civil or criminal action can be brought against you for filing the report.

Upon receiving such a report, the DHSMV will investigate the situation, including talking to the allegedly unsafe driver and his/her relatives, neighbors, doctors, etc. Depending on the investigator's findings, the Department can revoke the driver's license.

The report can be filed on the Department's website.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:27 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Texas has what's known as "Katie's Law", which requires elderly drivers to apply in person (rather than online) and to pass a vision exam, when renewing. It also dictates shorter expiration dates: 6 years for drivers who are 79-84, and 2 years for drivers 85+.

It doesn't accomplish much of anything. People can, and do, go in at age 84, pass a vision exam and be good to go until they're 90.
I have been involved in practicing insurance and injury law for about 27 years. My personal observation is that what I will call "marginal drivers" account for a high percentage of accidents and injuries. Marginal drivers are the very old who are too infirm to drive safely. They are young people who demonstrate through multiple citations and accidents they are not responsible drivers. They are even middle-aged people who have a myriad of untreated health problems. If these drivers could be removed from the roads it would decrease injuries, fatalities, and eventually car insurance premiums as well.

My prediction is that we will never remove most of these drivers.

Most DMVs are not really set up to prevent people from driving. They have insufficient staffs and all you have to do is go there and wait an hour or two some day and you'll get what I mean. Additionally, few people realize it, but the major functions of the DMV are not really "weeding out" unsafe drivers. They are functions like collecting licensing fees, maintaining records, and issuing you an official document you use for ID everywhere you go.

The implications of depriving someone of a driver's license can be huge. In a sparsely populated western state (where I live) not allowing someone to drive is a huge loss.

More isn't done to get dangerous drivers (of all ages) off the roads because society made a decision long ago. We pretty much decided that the increase in deaths and injuries from dangerous drivers was a price we were willing to pay for very few inhibitions on our own right to drive a car.

Its simple cost/benefit analysis. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:54 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I've heard enough, so I'll give some details on my end.

1. My deceased parent was age 87 and could not walk without a cane or walker. Their license did not expire until 2012. They passed away in 2009.
A question posed to them, by me was this:
If your brain does not tell your feet what to do, how will your feet know when to slam on brakes to prevent hitting a car or a person?
No reply.
They should clearly not have been driving at night, but neighbors said they would see them heading out the driveay at 9-10pm. To Walmart or some pharmacy.

2. My other parent went today, to get their license renewed at age 82. All that was required was an eye exam. The license is good for 5 years.
So, if one of their legs becomes incapacitated, two years from now, then what?

3. I have an Aunt who is age 91, and her legs and mind are fine, except memory lapses. She does not drive. Whether she made the decision, I do not know.

4. I have an Uncle age 88. He is 100% fine except he can barely hear. If a vehicle with a siren approached, or someone was trying to honk their horn at him, to stop, etc. he might not hear them.

Does DMV at some age, require more than an eye test?
Do they require a doctor to sign a form, that says the person is physically able to drive?
I think if 30 some odd year olds with a physical handicap can drive so can an 80 something year old with a cane or a walker. It has to take more than that for me to think they shouldn't drive since you don't walk in your car.

Can 30 year old deaf people get a driver's license? Yes, so why shouldn't an 80 year old that's hard of hearing? That deaf people are hearing impaired is marked on their license (I'm thinking that's in case a cop pulls them over.)

I think "reaction time" is important as is knowing the difference between the brake pedal and the gas pedal.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:28 AM

173 posts, read 499,250 times
Alaska has a form anyone can send in to ask DMV to test them and DMV makes the call. Asking the doc to do the form carries more weight with DMV and is more likely to geet them called in. However, some people continue to drive even if they lose their license.

Georgia seems loose, but I don't know the law. I do know my dad passed the eye test at about 90 despite macular degeneration. When he was 87 and post stroke (he recovered) and we questioned his driving, the neuorologist had an occupational therapist test him-he passed but she was pretty clear with him to avoid busy times of day and to avoid high speed areas.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:51 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I think if 30 some odd year olds with a physical handicap can drive so can an 80 something year old with a cane or a walker. It has to take more than that for me to think they shouldn't drive since you don't walk in your car.

Can 30 year old deaf people get a driver's license? Yes, so why shouldn't an 80 year old that's hard of hearing? That deaf people are hearing impaired is marked on their license (I'm thinking that's in case a cop pulls them over.)

I think "reaction time" is important as is knowing the difference between the brake pedal and the gas pedal.
It has to boil down to reaction time and ability to do whatever is necessary, in the moment, without warning. I don't know how that is determined for young disabled people . . .

I personally think that the bias towards "senior rights" at any cost is to blame for this problem . . .on the surface, everyone is "for" senior rights . .. duh . . .and in America, freedom is everything - and "rights" are everything - so people get it in their heads they can do anything they please - whether it poses a risk to others or not.

My family member was a prime example of this "entitlement" thinking - she said to Hell with anyone who would have the audacity to stop HER from driving. She was going to drive come Hell or high water. And she literally did not care if anyone else was hurt in the process because it was "her RIGHT" to drive till the bitter end.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:27 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
My brother and sisters told my parents that it wasn't safe for them to drive, but I think a near accident convinced them. So they stopped driving and sold their vehicle. I think there was also some relief on their part once they stopped and didn't have to worry about the traffic around them.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:32 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,739,384 times
In many cases I would hope that the family would, in fact, persuade the senior to give up his or her keys. It's a very tough one, since it's such an emblem of independence.

In our jurisdiction, seniors must renew every 2 years, and attend a group session where vision is tested, and a multiple choice test done. If there's a problem, a road test is done.

I have heard of seniors who are restricted to driving just certain routes. This mostly pertains to rural areas, where the senior is only allowed to drive from their home into the near village, for instance. I have a friend who turned 90 recently, and she does that (although she probably should not; if I see her coming, I give her a wide berth!). Old friends of my mom's also had this restricted model--they cheated one night, and ventured out on a sideroad across a busy highway. They were both killed outright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement