U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 08:31 PM

146 posts, read 135,166 times
I live in a retirement community. I am friendly w/this 90 year old lady from NJ who is driving a powerful new Nissan. She only hits the brake at the last second. I have to hold my breath. I am ready to refuse to ride w/her but I know how upset she will get. I have told her son. She sees various doctors . What will it take, somebodies goann be seriously hurt. Its a shame that public transport is very lacking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 08:57 PM

4,886 posts, read 3,832,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammyR View Post
I am friendly w/this 90 year old lady from NJ who is driving a powerful new Nissan. She only hits the brake at the last second. I have to hold my breath. I am ready to refuse to ride w/her but I know how upset she will get. I have told her son.

Good for her. It's disgusting reading these posts from do-gooders wailing and whining about normal activity that involves some measure of risk. I knew a man in his eighties who drove a Chrysler 300 G; he drove it the way it was meant to be driven. I think we're seeing an assembly of the law abiding who always obey the speed limit. I still drive a hundred miles per hour and plan to continue. Take my driver's license away? Guess what? I'll still be driving.

I dedicate the following to my mother.

Jan & Dean Little Old Lady From Pasadena - YouTube

Old 04-28-2012, 06:58 AM

767 posts, read 1,293,628 times
Charlton Heston said something to the effect of "You can take my rifle ... when you pry it from my cold dead hands!" Just substitute steering wheel for rifle.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:16 AM

13,546 posts, read 22,452,059 times
I saw an elderly man just last weekend at truck stop driving down a sidewalk. I am guessing he was in his late 80s and it looked like he was having a hard time seeing what was ahead. In one way I can see how made the mistake by the way the sidewalk was next to a driveway however there were tables and all the other cars were parked facing the building.

I too dread the day I have to quit driving as it will be really lonely.

Post link not copyrighted material

Old 04-28-2012, 09:35 AM
mlb

1,260 posts, read 1,010,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Good for her. It's disgusting reading these posts from do-gooders wailing and whining about normal activity that involves some measure of risk. I knew a man in his eighties who drove a Chrysler 300 G; he drove it the way it was meant to be driven. I think we're seeing an assembly of the law abiding who always obey the speed limit. I still drive a hundred miles per hour and plan to continue. Take my driver's license away? Guess what? I'll still be driving.

Just tell me the roads in Wyoming where you drive and I'll avoid them.

Yup - whomever said states don't do anything until someone dies.

We continually reminded dadinlaw about the 80-something year old who mowed down a number of people in the Santa Monica Farmer's Market...

Again - it's bad enough to lose your own life -and unconscionable to take down others

Old 04-28-2012, 05:33 PM

10,833 posts, read 7,736,190 times
Here is the Florida website where you can report drivers you think are incompetent in complete confidentiality:

Request for Driver Reexamination DS 699

We have only used it once - when some old fart lady rear-ended us when we were stopped at the exit of a shopping center parking lot - waiting to make a right turn onto a main road. She said she didn't see our car - blah - blah - blah. She could barely remember her name - and what she was doing in the shopping center. Luckily - it was a low speed collision - and our bumpers were sturdier than hers (we had almost zero damage - perhaps a small ding - I reckon her damage was well over $500).

FWIW - a lot of old farts/lousy drivers in West Palm Beach are complaining about this law:

Should

But I think the law is totally reasonable. My late FIL had a friend in his nursing home. He wound up in the nursing home at age 93 when he lost his driver's license. How did he lose his driver's license? He drove home one night - and pulled into his garage. OK - except for the fact that he drove up his neighbor's driveway and across his neighbor's lawn to get into his garage. The neighbor called the police - and the plice ordered a driver's test. Which he refused - and he lost his license.

And then there are the local elderly people who try to drive to a local church in JAX - and somehow wind up in Georgia . Etc. Robyn

Old 04-29-2012, 07:12 AM

767 posts, read 1,293,628 times
I feel about as safe with an elderly person driving near me as I do with a teen on my bumper with a cell phone talking/texting.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:28 AM

2,317 posts, read 3,983,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Just tell me the roads in Wyoming where you drive and I'll avoid them.

Yup - whomever said states don't do anything until someone dies.

We continually reminded dadinlaw about the 80-something year old who mowed down a number of people in the Santa Monica Farmer's Market...

Again - it's bad enough to lose your own life -and unconscionable to take down others
George Russell Weller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, I know exactly who you're talking about. That man had no business driving but we all know how stubborn people can be...

Old 04-29-2012, 08:47 AM

9,436 posts, read 4,454,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
That and the fact that we have built ourselves into a situation where you can't live without a car. Park your car for a week or two.
That is so true. It's not so easy to live without a car - once you do that - your independence is totally gone. It's hard.

I was lucky - my 89 y/o Father moved in with us to a much larger town. He took one look around and decided he was done driving. At first, this was a great hardship on both of us as he was housebound and I was working.

We ended up using an agency to find a 'caregiver'. At first, she was just pretty much a chauffeur because he likes to go out and eat lunch almost every day. She has become much more.

It was HIS decision because he knew he didn't want to accidentally hurt anyone. But - it totally changed his life. Suddenly, he's dependent on everyone. For an old army officer - this was quite a tough pill to swallow. It diminished him a bit; though it was absolutely the right decision.

For anyone that thinks that is not hard - perhaps you will change your mind when you are in your 80's and alone one day.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:27 AM

7,290 posts, read 4,965,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
That is so true. It's not so easy to live without a car - once you do that - your independence is totally gone. It's hard.

I was lucky - my 89 y/o Father moved in with us to a much larger town. He took one look around and decided he was done driving. At first, this was a great hardship on both of us as he was housebound and I was working.

We ended up using an agency to find a 'caregiver'. At first, she was just pretty much a chauffeur because he likes to go out and eat lunch almost every day. She has become much more.

It was HIS decision because he knew he didn't want to accidentally hurt anyone. But - it totally changed his life. Suddenly, he's dependent on everyone. For an old army officer - this was quite a tough pill to swallow. It diminished him a bit; though it was absolutely the right decision.

For anyone that thinks that is not hard - perhaps you will change your mind when you are in your 80's and alone one day.

I don't think anyone is arguing that this is not a difficult change, but it is inevitable, if you get old enough and care about your welfare and that of other people . . . A lot of other people simply do not care about the welfare of others - only their own selfish needs.

This type of thing has to be planned for - I am a "young retiree," but I am already thinking about it because I don't want others to have to wrestle keys away from me, or worse, I don't want to hurt an innocent person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement