U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2012, 01:37 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,863,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I could see an HOA mowing someone's lawn if they contacted an owner a few times, and he never responded, and the grass was more than a foot high. Other than an extreme case like that, though, I can't see it. I've lived in several HOAs and none of them have ever gone to the effort of removing plants from someone's yard or doing yard work on someone's behalf. What they do is leave you a notice about it.
Our HOA fines people - after giving them notice and an opportunity to be heard at a hearing.

BTW - vegetables and even flowers can be an ugly mess if the gardener doesn't care what the garden looks like. And - for some reason - a lot of people who grow vegetables take pride in having ugly gardens:

My most embarrassing ugly vegetable garden photos from 2009. « SnarkyVegan

Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 01:52 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,311,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Our HOA fines people - after giving them notice and an opportunity to be heard at a hearing.

BTW - vegetables and even flowers can be an ugly mess if the gardener doesn't care what the garden looks like. And - for some reason - a lot of people who grow vegetables take pride in having ugly gardens:

My most embarrassing ugly vegetable garden photos from 2009. « SnarkyVegan

Robyn
Didn't look ugly to me. I was expecting weeds as high as your waist hiding the veggies.
The bits and pieces here and there didn't bother me. But I could see others saying it wasn't neat and tidy.

I know of some neighborhoods in Austin where landscaping companies come and and create raised beds.
And then they also come and take care of it regularly for the homeowners. That is probably more along the acceptable route in HOA subdivisions.

You see, I know that I could never live in an HOA neighborhood. I don't march to the same beat; I'm one step off. I'm the one that mows around a strange plant growing so I can see what it turns into even if it's in the front yard

Old 09-23-2012, 02:22 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,834,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

I know of some neighborhoods in Austin where landscaping companies come and and create raised beds.
And then they also come and take care of it regularly for the homeowners. That is probably more along the acceptable route in HOA subdivisions.
That might be a good solution for some people. FWIW, I have several flower and vegetable gardens and take care of them myself. Our HOA has never had a problem with it. If they did, they would send a notice--at which point I would go to a meeting and discuss the situation. Like Robyn's neighborhood, fines are assessed if you choose to ignore the notices, but you're given a chance to present your case before that happens.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:49 PM

2,912 posts, read 3,538,986 times
I would rather rent an apartment or live in a rural area than "own" a house in a neighborhood with a HOA that has the power to fine. Who needs these grassroots jackboots, their mediocrity, and their conformist ideas? Phooey.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:13 PM

6,949 posts, read 7,364,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You see, I know that I could never live in an HOA neighborhood. I don't march to the same beat; I'm one step off. I'm the one that mows around a strange plant growing so I can see what it turns into even if it's in the front yard
Afraid I'm the same way.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:40 PM

4,281 posts, read 10,695,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
I would rather rent an apartment or live in a rural area than "own" a house in a neighborhood with a HOA that has the power to fine. Who needs these grassroots jackboots, their mediocrity, and their conformist ideas? Phooey.
Your choice. Feel free to do as you wish, as I did what I wished to do.

Freedom of choice is awesome.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:44 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,907,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsy girl View Post
the most "affordable" retiremnet community- not a ccrc- i know of in an area i'd consider living in is mallard landing, in salisbury , maryland. you can purchase a condo for less than $100000, now with current prices or you can rent a condo or a cottage - they have both- for about $1600 - $1800 a month, maybe less for a unit smaller than i'd want. there is an assisted living on the same campus, which many people at mallard landing use short-term or for the next move, but it is not a part of mallard landing. they do not have skilled nursing on site but there are several facilities nearby.
it's a beautiful campus, near a park with pond, and it is meticulously kept. it's close to amentities in salisbury with college, hospital, and most brand name chain stores.
i understand that for some this cost would be more than they want to pay or can pay. but for this kind of retirement community, the prices and the flexibility are extremely competitive.

catsy girl
I notice that the Mallard Landing listings show homeowners paying both county and city property taxes, something to consider.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:50 PM

9,536 posts, read 10,847,553 times
Quote:
I'm with you 100%.

When I was a boy we lived in a very pleasant older suburb of Chicago, big trees with lots of greenery around. There was no such thing as a HOA. I remember gardens all over the place with both vegetables and flowers. People did try to keep their gardens attractive but the law didn't require it. They just wanted a nice yard. Some folks near us loved squirrels, both tree squirrels and ground squirrels. They had built special squirrel feeders loaded with sunflower seeds and nuts. I guess their yard was messy but it was a neighborhood attraction; people were always stopping just to look at it. No one would have dreamed of complaining.

There were other suburbs that had the new plastic look. Maybe they did have an HOA. They were dull and uninteresting places where I suspect people weren't the most affluent although the really tried for that image.

If I wanted to live in town I'd look for a place where houses all look different, where unstylishly dressed old people walk their unstylish dogs, and where people greet each other when the pass on the sidewalks.

I chose to have my own private neighborhood. But I do wish I had some squirrels...and crows to add to the wildlife mix.

A Home in the meadow - YouTube

Old 09-23-2012, 04:46 PM

688 posts, read 860,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I notice that the Mallard Landing listings show homeowners paying both county and city property taxes, something to consider.

i think that property taxes are covered in community fee, which is about $850 a month for one person. i'm not absolutely certain about that; it may depend on size of unit and other factors.
when i owned a 1700 sq. ft home in salisbury 6 years ago, the total of city and county tax was !800 per year.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:51 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,863,452 times
Quote:
My husband happens to be the chairperson of our rules enforcement committee (in a HOA with 1100 houses). And I don't think I'd describe him in your terms. In our experience - there are always going to be people who don't care about maintaining their property - keeping their animals under control - etc. And there's not a heck of a lot you can do about it no matter where you live. All you can do is try.

No matter where you care to live - would you like it if your next door neighbor allowed his yappy dog to run around your property and poop on it daily? Even when it comes to something like lawn maintenance - if your neighbor's yard is nothing but weeds - that's the way your yard will be too soon (because weeds will invade your lawn when they go to seed).

When it comes to how a neighborhood looks - I agree with the "broken windows theory":

Broken windows theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement