Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2012, 08:09 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,597 posts, read 57,556,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Enjoying this thread..have only gotten to post #100 so far.

I am a single semi retired lady currently selling my large house but undecided about
what I want next.....The only thing that makes sense is to rent until I decide what I really do want.
Consider volunteer options that satisfy your yearnings for yard and space.

There are some very nice 'historical sites / living farms / urban parks' that will meet most your desires, + you get the benefit of walking away when you want / need to.

I did several stints at local national Historic site, as well as the gigs at Master Gardeners. All were great and very rewarding. Stayed with a retiree couple in NE TN last week, and they volunteer at a local living history farm and get the same benefit (+ PAY !!!!) (every little bit REALLY helps when it is all flowing OUT).

You can also partner with farmers / retirees on acreage and help around the farm for pay in produce / meat / eggs. AND get lots of exercise (and still be able to WALK (Run) away when necessary... (coming from and Ex-Dairy Farm Boarding School kid...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 08:36 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,969,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Consider volunteer options that satisfy your yearnings for yard and space.

There are some very nice 'historical sites / living farms / urban parks' that will meet most your desires, + you get the benefit of walking away when you want / need to.

I did several stints at local national Historic site, as well as the gigs at Master Gardeners. All were great and very rewarding. Stayed with a retiree couple in NE TN last week, and they volunteer at a local living history farm and get the same benefit (+ PAY !!!!) (every little bit REALLY helps when it is all flowing OUT).

You can also partner with farmers / retirees on acreage and help around the farm for pay in produce / meat / eggs. AND get lots of exercise (and still be able to WALK (Run) away when necessary... (coming from and Ex-Dairy Farm Boarding School kid...)
Great suggestion. I toyed with Master Gardeners, but ended up volunteering at a regional park instead (Meadowlark Gardens, for those who know northern VA). Being part of Master Gardeners costs you money. Regional parks give you perks and freebies from the park system, plus you get free park membership. In addition, I feel more people visit the regional parks and benefit from the contribution I've made. But, no matter which way you go, volunteering for a local garden is a good way to meet people, have the fun of doing gardening without needing to own your own yard, and get some exercise.

Intriguing idea about partnering with local farmers. How did you find out about opportunities, and are there any concerns that you might be taking a job away from someone if you do this?

Old 11-11-2012, 11:57 AM

37,745 posts, read 40,809,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Who has moved, or is planning to move, to a very small house (say 1,000–1,200 SF or less, total) in retirement—as opposed to a condo, townhouse, mobile home, or CCRC?

Why, and where (what city/state)?

Part of a community of other small houses, or on its own somewhere?
As a person who has recently had leg issues may I suggest that at retirement time, you take "townhouse" off of your list of possible housing choices.

I have a two bedroom, two bathroom apartment, 1039 sq ft, and big enough for me. If I were to move into a small house, 1040 sq ft is okay by me. Really, how many people are going to live in it?

Old 11-11-2012, 03:02 PM

8,583 posts, read 15,956,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
As a person who has recently had leg issues may I suggest that at retirement time, you take "townhouse" off of your list of possible housing choices.
Is this because of steps ??
We have lots of one level townhomes in our town??

Old 11-11-2012, 04:17 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,908,951 times
Quote:

I have a two bedroom, two bathroom apartment, 1039 sq ft, and big enough for me. If I were to move into a small house, 1040 sq ft is okay by me. Really, how many people are going to live in it?
A townhouse was never on my list. I included townhouse in my OP for those who might go that route. For me personally, a townhouse solves nothing. I would stay in my two-floor house, which has bedrm and bath on first floor and use of the second floor for office and artroom as an option. When I lived in Boston as an undergrad I lived with housemates in a big solid brownstone single floor apt in Brookline. Never heard the neighbors, the walls were so thick. These apt buildings were built like castles, with high ceilings and fireplaces. I think that is my style, but there are few nice brownstones in my locale—they are all condos and even the pricey ones do not seem all that well built with sound barriers.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:01 AM

698 posts, read 1,047,907 times
i have lived in 7 houses in the last 40+ years- 4 townhomes and 3 single family homes. with the exception of the first townhouse, built in 1947 with plaster walls, i've never had an issue with sound, noise in a townhouse. with that first house, we did sometimes hear neighbors but it was never a major problem. with the others, noise was not a problem.
in the case of "newer" townhomes, including the present one, built in the last ten years,i doubt it's due to superior construction. i will say during the home inspection for this house, the inspector commented on the excellent insulation.
so, i don't know whether we've just been lucky or something else. but just adding information/personal experience to the converstion.

catsy girl

Old 11-12-2012, 08:39 AM

720 posts, read 1,703,457 times
After mulling this over for years, I think we've finally decided what we need to be satisfied, and that is smaller, and in the area we have always liked (NC coast), a manufactured home (1200 sf). We built our present home, a 2600 sf tri-level, in the northeast.After living here both our lives, we're ready for warm weather. Been visiting this area since 1989---and are looking to live near , but not in, the "touristy" areas.
Considerations: one level (I already have several joint replacements due to severe osteoarthritis) , small yard, we want to OWN the land. Since we plan to travel some, a place for our camper, and a gated community so our home isn't obviously empty to passersby. Near the ocean, activities, medical care, but not in a city.. A pool --- for when the grandkids visit. Near an airport. We reluctantly will have an HOA, but it's not one of those maniacal control-freak types. And not exorbitantly expensive. We've observed the community over several years, and it's been well maintained.
We started out in a 900 sf home, and had 4 kids there. So much easier to go from small to larger!!
Going from a "real house" will be an adjustment for me, but we'll be outside more and will have more "fun money". I'm tired of cleaning this place, and DH hates the yardwork. (1/2 acre, sloping) Working on buying a place now, pre-retirement---fingers crossed!!

Old 11-12-2012, 09:08 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,622,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlecamper View Post
After mulling this over for years, I think we've finally decided what we need to be satisfied, and that is smaller, and in the area we have always liked (NC coast), a manufactured home (1200 sf). We built our present home, a 2600 sf tri-level, in the northeast.After living here both our lives, we're ready for warm weather. Been visiting this area since 1989---and are looking to live near , but not in, the "touristy" areas.
Considerations: one level (I already have several joint replacements due to severe osteoarthritis) , small yard, we want to OWN the land. Since we plan to travel some, a place for our camper, and a gated community so our home isn't obviously empty to passersby. Near the ocean, activities, medical care, but not in a city.. A pool --- for when the grandkids visit. Near an airport. We reluctantly will have an HOA, but it's not one of those maniacal control-freak types. And not exorbitantly expensive. We've observed the community over several years, and it's been well maintained.
We started out in a 900 sf home, and had 4 kids there. So much easier to go from small to larger!!
Going from a "real house" will be an adjustment for me, but we'll be outside more and will have more "fun money". I'm tired of cleaning this place, and DH hates the yardwork. (1/2 acre, sloping) Working on buying a place now, pre-retirement---fingers crossed!!

Poodle

Please send me a link for the place.

Thanks

accufitgolf@aol.com

Old 11-12-2012, 10:00 AM

37,745 posts, read 40,809,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Is this because of steps ??
We have lots of one level townhomes in our town??
I'm sorry. Yes, I meant one with stairs inside.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:13 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,969,882 times
Quote:
I'm sorry. Yes, I meant one with stairs inside.
I totally get your point. Down the road from me they're building a townhouse community and we stopped by to check out the model. The sales person took us on a tour and tried very hard to sell this as an ideal place for seniors since there would be no lawn to mow, you can walk to stores, etc. These places are narrow and tall, with four stories and steep stairs. Even the front steps are steep. The grocery store was within walking distance, which is a plus, but I wouldn't want to try carrying bags of groceries up those steps on an icy day in my 30s, much less as a senior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement