Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 10:07 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,917,103 times

Advertisements

I generally steer clear of forums like this but I'm bored. I'm 65, have none of the issues you listed- don't drink, smoke, not impotent, only been married 6 years of my life and that ended in 1989. Yeah, I have girl type friends and I have a lot of guy friends that are just like me. The guys don't date and neither do I. Most of a mans life is usually taking a cold shower after being told no- married or not. Now that we are older, we really don't care. Women on the other hand are now disappointed after men quit asking. What did you expect? After decades of listening to "I Have a headache" or other such nonsense or making the love act so miserable nobody would ever want to go there again, now you complain nobody asks. It's what women have planted all their life and now they're disappointed in the crop. Get used to it, men did. The "cool" older men are out there, lot of them, they're just not interested in yer game play anymore.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:07 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
My personal opinion is that the pool of desirable women of any age is greater than the pool of desirable men of the same ages . . . and to add to the mathematical discrepancy, because men can date down and often prefer younger women, then the pool of desirable men who are interested in women their age shrinks even further.

I disagree that women our age are not sexy - not as sexy as 20, 30, 40 year olds - I think that is what we are being measured by - but it is untrue that as a group we are not "sexy."

By the time you get to be our age, everyone has "baggage." In weighing everything out it has to be determined if the baggage in question is acceptable or too much of a hassle (in terms of both parties, not just the male).
My point was, everything that can be said about older men from a women's point of view can be said about older women from a men's point of view. I did not say as a group older women are not sexy, I said many or possibly most are. Women always have their checkoff list for the perfect man, and I always thought that kind of funny. Of course men do, too, but the older we women get the less picky we can afford to be, especially if, as you imply, your are not necessarily looking for a husband but for a pleasant male companion to do things with. All the stuff we might consider as "baggage" for older men can be seen as "baggage" for many older women, but we tend not to see our baggage as baggage. Who's perfect, anyway? I'd go do things with an alcoholic male companion, if he were a trusted friend, and if I had no other designs on him. I would not let him drive though, I'm sure.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:17 AM

782 posts, read 1,086,974 times
Quote:
Whatever that study was that came out in the seventies that basically said young women were screwed because out of ten men, one would be gay, three would be alcoholic, five would be married, and the one left over would be a real weird-o, should try finding eligible older men who are not impotent, alcoholic, ravaged by time, criminals, married, dead, unattractive, unclean, or into teenagers, etc., etc. at this point in the game.

Well, I'm in my 50's, have a flat belly, tall, non-alcoholic, straight, clean, no criminal past, normal, single(divorced years ago), employed. So, yes, we do exist. But, the reason for being unattached - going through a phase of just enjoying my own company for now.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:28 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,924,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I generally steer clear of forums like this but I'm bored. I'm 65, have none of the issues you listed- don't drink, smoke, not impotent, only been married 6 years of my life and that ended in 1989. Yeah, I have girl type friends and I have a lot of guy friends that are just like me. The guys don't date and neither do I. Most of a mans life is usually taking a cold shower after being told no- married or not. Now that we are older, we really don't care. Women on the other hand are now disappointed after men quit asking. What did you expect? After decades of listening to "I Have a headache" or other such nonsense or making the love act so miserable nobody would ever want to go there again, now you complain nobody asks. It's what women have planted all their life and now they're disappointed in the crop. Get used to it, men did. The "cool" older men are out there, lot of them, they're just not interested in yer game play anymore.
This post is a prime example of how some people can take their own personal experiences and project them onto others - I personally was not the type of woman you are describing here. I am sorry you were hurt and rejected by someone or someones.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:31 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,924,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texabama View Post
Well, I'm in my 50's, have a flat belly, tall, non-alcoholic, straight, clean, no criminal past, normal, single(divorced years ago), employed. So, yes, we do exist. But, the reason for being unattached - going through a phase of just enjoying my own company for now.
Your honesty and forthrightness is refreshing. I totally understand - my phase lasted many years - I am just coming out of it now.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:33 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
I think you need to go to Home Depot or Lowes, rather than on line match stuff. Strike up a conversation and see if there is any interest. You may be surprised.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:58 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,917,103 times
Quote:
This post is a prime example of how some people can take their own personal experiences and project them onto others - I personally was not the type of woman you are describing here. I am sorry you were hurt and rejected by someone or someones.
This post is typical of a woman who still has life and bullchips confused. I'm not hurt and neither are my buds. We're a lot happier not having to play the word game with women or having someone have expectations of us. We're all happy cool older men enjoying life. Once you get older, you realize there's a lot more to life than having some moron on yer arm. Probably about 20+ buds all have the same views and all have obviously had different events in our lives but we all came to the same conclusion. Too bad you can't seem to get over yer lonely life. Have you tried to volunteer at a homeless shelter, zoo, dog pound?

Old 04-30-2012, 12:32 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texabama View Post

Precisely how I've felt for a long time. People ask me all the time why I'm single (interpretation - Are you gay? No.)

All I knew or know is that I was content - I'm able to care for myself financially, I can do what I want when I want.

My ex was in town and stopped by last fall:

"I can't believe you haven't remarried" "Nope" Neither has he. We actually liked each other and still do but I guess we just aren't marriage material.

I think I am finally coming around and would like a healthy relationship - I won't accept anything less.

Like, I want a big burly guy to beat the snot out of these workmen I have here. It's guys like these that make me glad I'm single.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:59 PM

9,322 posts, read 16,661,006 times
Quote:
Actually, I am not looking for a husband - but it would be nice to have someone to do things with - the idea of a "partner" is very appealing.

From my own experience, I know that what I am craving is extremely rare - lots of people stay together for convenience and there is not much real intimacy - but for those rare couples who really like each other, have great chemistry, have interests in common, and have admirable personal qualities, I can't think of anything that might be nicer.
Both of us are divorced and found each other at work. We were in our late 40's and didn't marry until our 50's. I am not sure where we fit in your original post, neither have any vices listed, yet we really like each other, still have a glow in our eyes and a fire in the fireplace, enjoy common interests and are together 24/7. She is the love of my life and I can't imagine living without her, or ever looking for another woman.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:00 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,816,879 times
Myself - I am a very cool old man. I have good judgement..experience...a spiritual life that is not fanatic...and I truly adore females.

Have been an artist since childhood...spent years in the film business...great guitar and piano player...can still croon an original tune that will melt your heart..good with kids...having raised four of my own...BUT - there is only one catch...My spouse of almost 30 years does not live with me..we have been apart for almost 5 years...

I was always hoping to find new love- the last great love of my life...but the problem is _ my wife has fallen in love with me again and it looks like I might be stuck knowing the old girl to the end...besides...If I find another...who's going to do my laundry once in a while...and who's....gonna put up with a guy with no wealth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement