Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 11:58 AM

92 posts, read 512,413 times

Advertisements

I'm in Illinois. In my county, we have a senior exemption that subtracts $4000 from your taxable valuation if you are over age 65. This was the first year I qualified for that.

There has also been a general decrease in property values since last year that further lowered the valuation.

I just received my tax bill today. Unfortunately, the total tax rate increased by more than 15 percent over last year, so my property taxes increased anyway.

(There is a senior freeze that can be applied if your income is low enough. However, that only affects the valuation, not the tax rate, and with valuations decreasing anyway, a freeze wouldn't help.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 12:08 PM

530 posts, read 1,340,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Jenny, your home is adorable!! Is it hard to keep up on the outside? Can you walk to anything?
Yes, there is a small lake and hiking trails within a 5 minute walk, and I can walk into the sorry little town of Windsor in 10 minutes,

Old 05-02-2012, 12:09 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,543,192 times
Property values were generally bumped up 1-15% in our area. We had just refinanced to a lower rate and had an appraisal that dropped the value down 6%. I submitted the paperwork for an appeal based on the appraisal and they lowered the value to the appraised value. Check with your assessor in case they have a cutoff date for the appeal process.

On the original topic, I our state exempts the first $150,000 from property taxes for those over 65. In addition, the city has a senior hardship exemption that further limits property taxes to at most, 2% of annual income. These exemptions also apply to disabled veterans.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:10 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Is there anyone here who doesn't think it's dumb to give property tax breaks to people who are 65+ - just because they're 65+? Regardless of income - net worth - the value of the house (perhaps you have a house worth $1 million and you don't have a mortgage) - etc.?

If so - raise your hand and tell me why. Robyn

Old 05-02-2012, 06:41 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Default Yes, I hate waste!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Is there anyone here who doesn't think it's dumb to give property tax breaks to people who are 65+ - just because they're 65+? Regardless of income - net worth - the value of the house (perhaps you have a house worth $1 million and you don't have a mortgage) - etc.?
If so - raise your hand and tell me why. Robyn
(Hand held up high). Count me in. And no, this is not just sour grapes because California does not have a provision for a break in property taxes for seniors. Blanket breaks of any kind for seniors amount to political pandering. ("Look what we're doing for old people", and everyone thinks of their enfeebled old grandparents or something and gets a warm feeling - provided they don't really think about it).

All these sorts of breaks for seniors ought to be means-tested.

Two or three years ago, Congress passed a $250 give-away to Social Security beneficiaries because there had been no COLA increase. Remember that? I got one, but the waste of taxpayer money made me angry. I didn't need it at all, and not only am I not rich, I am not even well-to-do. Waste is waste, whether the people the tax breaks are wasted on are over 65 or not. We live in a very sick society, where superficial appearances trump reality almost all the time.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:32 PM

801 posts, read 2,212,422 times
Like it or not...I have a strong feeling the term "means testing" will become a very familiar term over the next 10 years...especially with regard to taxes and medical expenses.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:29 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
NY state offers a tax break against school taxes (which is the largest portion) for seniors when they reach 65.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:36 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
My taxes now are $5500k. If I hadn't been aggressive on the reevaluations, they'd be over $7500. No thanks.
They will get back up to $7500 some day, no doubt, esp if the state of Wisconsin gets more into the red as many other states have/will.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Robyn
Some states have multiple criteria - age 65+ AND a certain income category. I bet fewer and fewer states will continue with the blanket reduction based on age alone. They will not be able to afford it as the boomers age.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
NY state offers a tax break against school taxes (which is the largest portion) for seniors when they reach 65.
So on, say, a $5000 regular annual tax bill, what would a senior pay in NYS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement