Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2012, 03:50 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,219,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I ended up in one out of desperation and panic. It did not help that the realtor misled me. Had I read the newsletter in advance, I would not have moved here.

It has its positives. It's very quiet and a lot cheaper. However, the surrounding area is not good, even if this particular "park" is. I live in a place that is nice enough, but took a real hit in terms of the neighborhood and place itself. However, that meant more money in the bank. I've always lived in traditional houses and now live in a mobile home. You'd be surprised at how far they have come, but still. There is a stigma attached to it and I don't know that I'll ever get over that.

What bugs me the most is the fact I was not told the truth about the activities. I do not enjoy Lawrence Welk potlucks. I thought that people would be more like the person who suggested I move here. They aren't.

Anyway, each time I drive in and see the sign "senior park" I cringe. I don't even know that I'd feel comfortable inviting anyone over if for no other reason than that sign.

I'm not the type that would have even lived in a gated community, but now I do.

Anyway, would you move to one and, if you live in one, how do you feel?
It sounds like you didn't take your own (and other's) advise again.

Quote: "I don't know if you just plan to buy and live there, boom, but my recommendation (and others have told me to do this and I did not listen) is to spend some time renting - even at a Residence Inn for a week or two..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 03:55 AM

106,549 posts, read 108,696,306 times
i think they are a great idea..... we have a 2nd home in a regular development and quite frankly it sucks in certain ways.

everyone there that has kids and family pretty much keep to themselves. its very difficult to meet others, have social events and things to do if your kids are grown and out.

55 plus communities are usually geared to getting people to meet and socialize and i would think its a better quality of life as you age.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:58 AM

698 posts, read 1,051,204 times
i've never understood the idea that because you are a part of the same age cohort, you are necessarily going to have a lot or anything in common with each other. this seems to be one of the concepts on which over 55 communities are based.
based on those communities i've visited and those i'm familiar with through friends who live there, i would have a less than a smooth path fitting in to many such developments. i don't play golf, bridge, bingo, do ceramics or quilting, enjoy yoga, jazzercize, etc. nor do i need or want a social gathering to celebrate birthdays of people i hardly know, or to celebrate occasions such as flag day. i like book groups- depending on what is read, interesting conversation, politics,classical music ( some other music as well ),theatre, walking, but do not need to be a part of a walkers "club", and taking classes in areas of interest- modern poetry, astrology, civil war history, etc. i like and need social interaction but it has to be meaningful for me - not something to fill time.
additionally, i don't have grandchildren, and don't especialy enjoy being regaled with stories of grandchildren or childrens' antics. i realize that grandchildren are a huge part of the lives of many seniors and certainly i will listen politely for a while. but, i don't want it as a major converstion piece.
consequently, i feel that although age-wise i would more than qualify, age itself is not enough to feel comfortable in most of these communities.

catsy girl

Old 05-10-2012, 08:26 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,204 times
Criteria for Considering Someone a Possible Friend

If I speak with someone new for 10 min. or so and all they do is talk about themselves and ask no questions about me, I write them off my list. If they aren't even interested enough in me to find out the least thing, they are not worthwhile friends, in my estimation.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:14 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,477,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Actually I visited Jacksonville a couple of times and it is a place I would consider, partially because my only family is an older brother in Tampa and my oldest brother is in Miami. Two weeks from today I'm flying down to Fort Lauderdale for a week's vacation. It's also my 40th High School reunion (I grew up in Broward County).

Jacksonville is a lot better than it was 20, 30, 40 years ago. Yes, I would consider it. It is proper city with cultural activities.

That is my point: some us, straight, gay, bi, celibate, whatever ... want to continue living with a degree of "urban sophistication." What does that mean? Myself, I like trying out new restaurants - especially ethnic places that are not too expensive with cuisines from places like Korea, Peru, Thailand, Morocco, Germany ... i.e. not just Italian or Chinese. Art galleries. Good quality museums, botanical gardens, historic homes. Excellent supermarkets are a must. A good New York style kosher deli. A symphony orchestra. Live theater. How about some nice piano bars or smart cocktail lounges where the cocktails are well made?

Besides I like living in a place where there is some cultural diversity; I wouldn't be completely happy if everyone was not only 55+ (which is okay with me) but all white and all Christian.

Any people understand where I'm coming from?
I understand where you're coming from. In terms of your checklist - here's how it goes with regard to JAX:

Substandard restaurant scene for a place this size (lots of chains - not a lot of good "indies" and they're spread out over a large geographical area). OTOH - excellent food shopping - although some of it is spread out. My husband and I learned how to cook - in self-defense - after we moved here .

Mediocre art galleries and museums in comparison to large urban areas like New York - London - Tokyo. Ditto with botanical gardens. Note that when I want my "culture booster shot" - I go to very large cities.

No decent Jewish style deli.

Good symphony orchestra (that is struggling - like many in the US). Decent theater (the kinds of series you'll find everywhere in Florida and elsewhere in the US - even in much larger cities). Lots of popular music star shows.

My husband and I don't go to a lot of bars these days. Because the places that are closest to us are in the JAX Beaches - which is DUI random check-point he** - especially on the weekends.

We have normal age demographics here. It's a predominantly Christian area - majority white but substantial minority populations.

BTW - if you want to see some shots of this area - tune into our local big deal golf tournament (The Players - starts today). Biggest purse in golf. The blimp usually makes us look pretty good .

If you grew up in Broward County - you must be familiar with Wilton Manors. I've never been there (even though I lived in Miami for 20+ years) - but I understand that it is increasingly a "gay" suburb in the Fort Lauderdale metro area (I get the impression that Miami Beach has become increasingly passe over the years - but I'm not sure if my impression is correct). Robyn

Old 05-11-2012, 01:49 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,177,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsy girl View Post
i've never understood the idea that because you are a part of the same age cohort, you are necessarily going to have a lot or anything in common with each other. this seems to be one of the concepts on which over 55 communities are based.
based on those communities i've visited and those i'm familiar with through friends who live there, i would have a less than a smooth path fitting in to many such developments. i don't play golf, bridge, bingo, do ceramics or quilting, enjoy yoga, jazzercize, etc. nor do i need or want a social gathering to celebrate birthdays of people i hardly know, or to celebrate occasions such as flag day. i like book groups- depending on what is read, interesting conversation, politics,classical music ( some other music as well ),theatre, walking, but do not need to be a part of a walkers "club", and taking classes in areas of interest- modern poetry, astrology, civil war history, etc. i like and need social interaction but it has to be meaningful for me - not something to fill time.
additionally, i don't have grandchildren, and don't especialy enjoy being regaled with stories of grandchildren or childrens' antics. i realize that grandchildren are a huge part of the lives of many seniors and certainly i will listen politely for a while. but, i don't want it as a major converstion piece.
consequently, i feel that although age-wise i would more than qualify, age itself is not enough to feel comfortable in most of these communities.

catsy girl
What makes you think you couldn't do these things ?
Or that you have to join in anything you aren't interested in?

I repeat.....the only thing anchored down here is the housing....not the residents.The municipality you chose is what will make the difference in what activities are available.
The library system here, for instance, offers a great schedule of events,classes, etc.

BTW,I feel the same about conversations revolving around grandchildren, great grandchildren and even children ....all of which I have....and find it less of a deal here.That's only a matter of who you pick for friends, not the age group of your neighbors.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:52 AM

698 posts, read 1,051,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
What makes you think you couldn't do these things ?
Or that you have to join in anything you aren't interested in?

I repeat.....the only thing anchored down here is the housing....not the residents.The municipality you chose is what will make the difference in what activities are available.
The library system here, for instance, offers a great schedule of events,classes, etc.

BTW,I feel the same about conversations revolving around grandchildren, great grandchildren and even children ....all of which I have....and find it less of a deal here.That's only a matter of who you pick for friends, not the age group of your neighbors.

i never thought i couldn't pursue my interests in an over 55 community , but i don't really see the advantages of living in such a community, paying for a clubhouse, pool, outside maintenance or whatever the monthly fee includes, for services i wouldn't use.
i can read, walk, take courses of interest nearby, attend book groups, become involved in discussion groups of interest, go out to lunch with friends, etc. where i live now. and, i do.
the next door neighbor cuts my very small yard. there is a community/town pool, less than a mile away, which you can join for the summer for a rather reasonable fee, although not really interested in this personally.
if you're interested in a community of adults only, then over 55 would meet that requirement. however, at this point in time, although there are not a lot of children in the neighborhood where i live , there are some, and i tend to like some diversity.

catsy girl

Old 05-13-2012, 05:30 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,068,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsy girl View Post
i don't really see the advantages of living in such a community, paying for a clubhouse, pool, outside maintenance or whatever the monthly fee includes, for services i wouldn't use.

catsy girl
I agree--if you're not interested in the amenities and you don't feel any particular interest in being around other 55+ people, it makes no sense for you. We tend to use amenities, so communities like that appeal to us. A monthly HOA fee is less than paying for a gym membership.

Speaking about amenities, his brings up another reason I like 55+ communities. When I visit my friends in the 55+ communities there's always equipment available at the gym. Where I live now , summer sports are gearing up, and in my HOA that means every time I go to the gym the equipment it's being used by teens getting in shape for their teams. That's great--but they tend to hog the equipment, they stay on it for hours (ignoring signs for 20 minute limits per equipment), and visit the gym with their friends (so once a group arrives there is no equipment available for anyone else for at least an hour).

Old 05-13-2012, 08:13 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,962,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I understand where you're coming from. In terms of your checklist - here's how it goes with regard to JAX:

Substandard restaurant scene for a place this size (lots of chains - not a lot of good "indies" and they're spread out over a large geographical area). OTOH - excellent food shopping - although some of it is spread out. My husband and I learned how to cook - in self-defense - after we moved here .

No decent Jewish style deli.

Good symphony orchestra (that is struggling - like many in the US). Decent theater (the kinds of series you'll find everywhere in Florida and elsewhere in the US - even in much larger cities). Lots of popular music star shows.

Robyn
Robyn, why the mediocre food and cultural stuff in Jax? Seems like an area that could support all of that quite well. Is there an anti-business atmosphere there? What is the demographic, in general?

Old 05-13-2012, 11:31 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,204 times
Default Best Gym Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I agree--if you're not interested in the amenities and you don't feel any particular interest in being around other 55+ people, it makes no sense for you. We tend to use amenities, so communities like that appeal to us. A monthly HOA fee is less than paying for a gym membership.

Speaking about amenities, his brings up another reason I like 55+ communities. When I visit my friends in the 55+ communities there's always equipment available at the gym. Where I live now , summer sports are gearing up, and in my HOA that means every time I go to the gym the equipment it's being used by teens getting in shape for their teams. That's great--but they tend to hog the equipment, they stay on it for hours (ignoring signs for 20 minute limits per equipment), and visit the gym with their friends (so once a group arrives there is no equipment available for anyone else for at least an hour).
We asked the greeters at the gym what is the best time to arrive to beat the rush there. They gave us times to avoid and that has worked very well for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement