Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 02:37 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

A bunch of new overseas banking laws (FATCA) are about to kick in soon to prevent tax evasion by Americans with overseas accounts. That's fine, but the law is such a pain in the butt for overseas financial institutions to deal with that they are simply choosing not to deal with Americans, period.

"The 2010 law, to be phased in starting Jan. 1, 2013, requires financial institutions based outside the U.S. to obtain and report information about income and interest payments accrued to the accounts of American clients. It means additional compliance costs for banks and fewer investment options and advisers for all U.S. citizens living abroad, which could affect their ability to generate returns."

The "collateral damage" as a result of the new law,is that "U.S. citizens who live in countries that aren’t served by U.S. banks may find themselves unable to bank at all."

“Bank accounts, investment accounts, mortgages and insurance policies are being refused to American clients, and those with accounts are seeing them closed or have been threatened with closure.”

The article is long and most or all of it probably won't concern you, but if you are thinking of moving overseas in retirement you might want to keep an eye on this law and assess, along with your other retirement considerations, how it might impact your ability to bank in the country that you are thinking of settling.

Unless you are a millionaire investor/businessman interested in all of it, I recommend reading from the section titled "Collateral Damage" and down.

U.S. Millionaires Told Go Away as Tax Evasion Rule Looms - Bloomberg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 05:32 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
No. I've reseached this a little. Figured out that, yes you can retire very cheap, if you give up the life you're used to, forget AC, eat local diet. IMHO, you can cut your lifestyle here in the USA, or move to a low cost area in middle america or both and your cost of living will be about the same as in these other foreign countries, and save yourself A LOT of hastle.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:46 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Good, what they don't pay in taxes the rest of us get to make up. Why should we make it convenient for people to help some other country?

Old 05-09-2012, 11:30 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Uh oh, how will those producers of House Hunter International find people for their show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Good, what they don't pay in taxes the rest of us get to make up. Why should we make it convenient for people to help some other country?
On a more serious note, yes--I agree.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:49 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
There are many possible foreign residency countries for people holding USA citizenship where USA based banks have branches. For example, have a look at the list of countries where there are branches of Citibank. Additionally, many ... maybe most ... expats maintain their principal bank account(s) in the USA and withdraw funds by wire transfer or from an ATM machine in the foreign country in which they live (outside of the USA). Probably for the vast majority of expats ... this is a non-issue.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:57 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Providing their incomes originate from the States, all American expats pay federal taxes, no matter where they reside. Does not matter the name of the bank with whom they do business, filing federal income tax return is mandatory for American expats who receive any money from any source in the US.

Soon after retirement, we moved to Italy and lived there for almost seven years (April 2001 - November 2007). Our bills were paid by an Italian bank, our credit cards were issued by an Italian bank, our money was in an Italian bank, and we paid our medical insurance to the Italian National Health. We received absolutely no benefits from the States, still, we had to pay federal tax every year, simply because the pension was from the States.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 05-09-2012 at 12:17 PM..

Old 05-09-2012, 01:39 PM

292 posts, read 357,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Uh oh, how will those producers of House Hunter International find people for their show?

On a more serious note, yes--I agree.
Oh no, my favorite show

Old 05-09-2012, 01:54 PM

292 posts, read 357,895 times
I bet this law will affect US residents who maintain offshore accounts where money made outside the US is deposited. Agree, won't be more than a minor adjustment for people who really want to live abroad.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:09 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,622 times
The IRS is getting desperate. My sister emigrated to Canada in 1969 but never renounced her American citizenship. Beats me how the IRS tracked her down but they did, telling her that because she failed to file US tax returns (even though she didn't make any money in the USA) she was subject to fines. So.... she had to go to Toronto, hire a lawyer, blah blah blah, and now has to go to the US embassy in Toronto to renounce her citizenship to stop from being harassed. It still isn't over. I told her to just write the IRS a nasty letter and NEVER come back to visit the US ever again.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:08 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
The IRS is getting desperate. My sister emigrated to Canada in 1969 but never renounced her American citizenship. Beats me how the IRS tracked her down but they did, telling her that because she failed to file US tax returns (even though she didn't make any money in the USA) she was subject to fines. So.... she had to go to Toronto, hire a lawyer, blah blah blah, and now has to go to the US embassy in Toronto to renounce her citizenship to stop from being harassed. It still isn't over. I told her to just write the IRS a nasty letter and NEVER come back to visit the US ever again.
The solution which you offered your sister (last sentence of your post) would only be effective if the US and Canada have no treaty whereby the Canadian government cooperates with the American government in collecting financial obligations of former US citizens incurred while they were still US citizens. I'm not saying such a treaty exists, but I am saying she did the right thing by hiring a lawyer. These things are too complicated and too fraught with danger to fly solo.

I am assuming that your sister's ignorance of her obligation to file US tax returns was just that - innocent ignorance - and not any attempt to evade anything. And that is easy to understand. However, one cannot be too careful in covering one's bases in these technical matters, so your post serves as a red flag alert to anyone considering becoming an ex-pat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement