U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 10:52 AM

34,691 posts, read 33,695,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotwein View Post
We retired to Jacksonville, FL 10 years ago. We selected Jax because of climate, airport, interstates, passenger railroad and cost of living. About the same time the developers were turned loose resulting in many thousands of new homes and much more traffic. We are looking to move and this time we will pay attention to future developments and zoning.
Many local newspapers are now online which wasn't true 10 years ago when you moved to Jacksonville. You can typically subscribe to them online without paying. If you read the local news/community news in the online prospective town newspaper, you can follow the future plans for the town by reading the articles about town meetings and the letters to the editor. My town, for example, now has an issue about a possible hotel going up in a residential neighborhood. It's a hot topic at town meetings which are covered in both the daily and weekly newspaper and you can read both sides in the letters to the editor.

Also, for the person who didn't realize they were moving to a town where religion dictated the social activities - reading the local newspaper online before you moved would have probably informed you both in the coverage given to the events and if the newspaper has one - the events/community calendar page that lists the upcoming town events.

I always suggest to people (retirees and non-retirees) who are thinking of relocating, to read the local news/community news in the prospective town's online paper to get a feel for the people who live there and what they like to do. Does it sound like your kind of people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 08:01 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,877,837 times
nancy thereader wrote:
Isn't the health care good in Grand Junction, Franco?
I avoid using traditional so-called health care because it's mostly a big money making scam everywehere. Personally I take responsibility for my own state of health by living a healthy lifestyle. I keep myself in a state of health with herbs, supplements, organic foods, & exercise, and energy therapies. In the so-called health care system the emphasis is on treatment after getting sick, or having expensive scans under the guise of early detection, thus creating yet another opportunity to sell expensive drugs or dangerous invasive surgery. Sorry for the rant, but the health care scam is one of my hot buttons.

blessings....Franco

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 09-24-2007 at 08:17 AM..

Old 10-03-2007, 04:11 PM

30,682 posts, read 49,455,573 times
I went on pension while living in Italy, we decided to move to Maine. So I bought some land, we moved onto it, and we have been building a farm here.

So far we have been here three years and we are very happy with the move.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,609 times
Default Taking Parents with You When You Retire

Pew Research has stated that 10,000 baby boomers will retire every day for the next 19 years. Many of them will relocate to a different area of the country. North Carolina seems to be a favorite spot with over 36% of the retirees relocating to the Carolinas, beating out the once-popular Florida (15%).

With people retiring at younger ages, many of them still have living and active parents. Leaving those parents behind is a big concern among these new retirees. However, there is a win-win situation... why not take them with you? Many of the newer homes in retirement, golfing and waterfront communities have homes with two master suites, and a common living area. Some even have complete attached living quarters, including a master suite, living and dining room, laundry and kitchen.

Moderator cut: realtor soliciting not allowed

Last edited by Keeper; 11-21-2013 at 03:00 PM..

Old 11-21-2013, 09:49 AM

2,042 posts, read 3,628,332 times
Brother was always interested in the old west~ me not so much. He visited Az once, had a headache from time he arrived till time he left, seems he doesn't get along with low humidity. It doesn't bother me. I wanted a cool summer place in northwest~ wife in mountains. Settled on Colorado. Now wife is having problems breathing at high altitudes and I've found she isn't only one. Now concerned that Colorado house will no longer be viable. Not everyone's great spot is the same as other people's great spot, so check where you are planning to settle before you lock in.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:55 AM

1,420 posts, read 2,637,228 times
Folks, the fact of the matter is, the overwhelming majority of retirees DON'T relocate.

It's expensive
Away from family
Away from friends
New doctors
New familiarities
New norms
Often new culture

Last edited by Keeper; 11-21-2013 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: post was edited to remove soliciting

Old 11-21-2013, 10:06 AM

30,682 posts, read 49,455,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveatkins View Post
Pew Research has stated that 10,000 baby boomers will retire every day for the next 19 years. Many of them will relocate to a different area of the country. North Carolina seems to be a favorite spot with over 36% of the retirees relocating to the Carolinas, beating out the once-popular Florida (15%).

With people retiring at younger ages, many of them still have living and active parents. Leaving those parents behind is a big concern among these new retirees. However, there is a win-win situation... why not take them with you?
I could see that.

As a Baby-Boomer myself, when I retired I was not interested in Florida at all.

I have been on pension for 12 years so far, and I still am not interested in Florida.

I see a lot of fellow pensioners moving here too. When Baby-Boomers go on pension, we look for different things from what the previous generation looked for.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:16 PM

8,201 posts, read 11,915,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
Folks, the fact of the matter is, the overwhelming majority of retirees DON'T relocate.

It's expensive
Away from family
Away from friends
New doctors
New familiarities
New norms
Often new culture
And in other news, water is wet, the sky is blue, and the sun will rise in the east tomorrow.

Was there a point to your post?

The title of this thread is Retirement Relocation Reflections. It is specifically addressed to the subset of retirees who did relocate. What the majority of retirees do or don't do is completely irrelevant.

Hey! Maybe I'll go over to the cruise board and in a thread where someone asks what a cruise is like, I'll point out that a vast majority of people have never been on a cruise! Or I'll go to the travel forum and if someone wants a recommendation for a Parisian restaurant, I'll point out that the vast majority of Americans don't have passports. That sure sounds like a worthwhile exercise!

Old 11-21-2013, 05:33 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,669,408 times
My in-laws were snowbirds in a 55+ community. It was nice, in central FL, but I was never interested in more than visiting. Our son moved to the Gulf coast a few years after college, married and started a family. We visited a few times and then really stepped up the visits to see the grandkids. Since we weren't just company anymore, we started grocery shopping, and doing some Lowe's/Home Depot runs.

Along with loving the beach, the bike trails and warm winter weather, we liked the stores and people and got used to the hot, humid summer weather, getting out early morning or late evening. We went to some parades and events and liked the community involvement. We decided we liked it enough to relocate for seven months of the year at this point. We've lived in our other home for 29 years and we love it, but it's where we relocated for careers, so there is no strong attachment. We plan to sell it in a couple of years.

We had 10 years of exposure to the area, so it was an easy move. Frankly with the lower prices and interest rates at the time, it's been a good decision.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:42 PM

786 posts, read 894,545 times
When I first left NYC for Peru, I did not realize how much I missed having "great Pizza" readily available, 10 years later I wonder if I could ever live somewhere that did not have "great Peruvian food"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or