U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 12:00 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,138,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Renting a U-haul, loading the U-haul, driving, paying for fuel and tolls, locating a new place, and paying deposit on your next home [or buying a new place], moving into it; I think all costs about the same stateside. Regardless of which state you move from, or to.

Of course in my profession, I was able to submit for reimbursement, and 3 to 4 months later my expenses were reimbursed. I still had to front the expenses out of my pocket. I wish I could get reimbursement for our last move.

There was one move we did from overseas, back stateside, where the moving company crated our furniture, appliances, clothing, etc. Then during the move they dipped the crates into ocean water at some point. The crates then sat in a warehouse for 3 months before they scheduled delivery. Nothing was re-usable after that. The insurance claim agreed to pay for any items that we still had original receipts for, and we got 40cents back for every dollar of original purchase, on the stuff that was destroyed. That was a very costly move for us. Even though movers did it all, it was the most expensive move we ever did. We lost everything we owned except for clothes we had in carry-on luggage.
Now that's a bad move! Never had that kind of trouble over the course of some 15-20 (maybe more) military moves I made, six of them overseas and back, first as a dependent and then as a member in my own right. However, it did seem that 3-4 moves were the equivalent of a house fire in terms of damage to household goods. Reimbursement for loss and damage never did measure up. Obviously, some things never change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 07:48 AM

5,783 posts, read 4,836,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
There is another side to moving/not moving from friends and families as we age. Our relationships and bonds can remain strong but our experiences can change/evolve. We will probably not age the same or maintain health the same. Our finances may become different and our kids who grew up together move through adulthood differently. Shared goals and aspirations at age 45 can have different realities at 65. Sometimes moving on with life is inevitable whether you move or not. Vacations once taken together can because of health and finances become just memories for some. I am dealing with this now, great visit and great friends but lives have changed.
^^^^THIS^^^^

We feel the same way. DH and I have friends we've lived near and socialized with for 30+ years, but we've grown away from each other financially, socially, hobbywise, etc. When people dogged us about moving to TN, we knew that trying to explain this is pointless (and possibly insulting to them), so we just said it was for a lower COL versus lifestyle. In reality, our friends will probably never be able to retire and participate fully in the lifestyle that we enjoy. We miss seeing them on a weekly to monthly basis like we used to, but our life is great here, and we are making new friends who we have more in common with than simply our shared history. I know that might sound heartless or snobby, but it's not. I mean if they had the opportunity to improve their lives, they wouldn't give that up to stay near me, and I wouldn't want them to. I miss my family a lot, but when we lived in the same county, we only saw each other 3 times a year. I won't be tied to that place to enjoy 3 days with them out of 365. When I visit them now, or they visit me, it will be for a longer visit and we will probably have even more quality time than we did before.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:07 AM

9,286 posts, read 5,494,131 times
Default Living in Idaho

For those who do NOT have family considerations, and for whom COL is a primary factor, I suggest southeast Idaho. We visited there in September and I was literally shocked as to how inexpensive homes are--whether buying or renting. I checked auto insurance rates and found them to be 40% less than we pay in Dallas.

Pocatello and Idaho Falls are the two main "cities" of about 55,000 people. IF is about 1 1/2 hours from Jackson, Wyoming and the Grand Teton National Park. It's perhaps two hours from West Yellowstone which is the western entrance to Yellowstone National Park. There are major hospitals in both cities. To the west is the high desert plains and to the north and east are mountain ranges.

It does get COLD, so if temps are important go south where you can melt in the summer.

Utility bills---southeast Idaho has some of the lowest utility rates in the entire western part of the U.S.. Traffic---well, it's nothing compared to Dallas or just about anything back east. You can drive from one side of town to the other in ten minutes--fifteen in rush hour.

Pocatello is home to Idaho State University which provides cultural and sporting events at reasonable prices. Idaho Falls has an INDOOR mall!!! which might make it more attractive in the winter.

During our visit we found people to be very friendly and didn't find a curmudgeon in the bunch. The IF thread of Idaho is rather laid back with knowledgeable, friendly people.

Boise is more expensive, but has a larger population (200,000+). Northern Idaho has more snow and is in the mountains, but is even more expensive and perhaps has more traffic problems, particularly around Couer d' Alene. But it has more eye appeal, too, and is not that far from Spokane.

Anyway, just a suggestion for those who are hunting for retirement spots.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:45 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,876,079 times
TheShadow wrote: we are making new friends who we have more in common with than simply our shared history. I know that might sound heartless or snobby, but it's not.

Not heartless or snobby at all, but rather an accurrate description of how reality often plays out.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:54 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,569 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
... I suggest southeast Idaho. ...
It does get COLD, so ... Go to Soda Hot SPRINGS (1 hr south of Poc) and warm up!!!)
Anyway, just a suggestion for those who are hunting for retirement spots.
Property values are quite affordable for the close access to WY and ID National Parks / monuments. and NE UT has fantastic scenery and skiing. SLC is doable from SE ID... for an airport.
SE ID is very LDS centric, so beware if that could be an issue. Western WY (Star Valley / Afton) is also a good retirement choice nearby (No Income tax in WY, very low property taxes for retirees).

ID is very business friendly and economy / employment is growing as WA, OR, CA companies / farms immigrate to ID in large numbers. ID is fairly energy rich with lots of Geo-Thermal, nuclear, and innovative renewables.

For ID, I place Moscow near the top of locations, Tho Sandpoint and north will get my first vote. (I like Canada for camping and outdoor activities.)

Wherever you decide... go RENT or house-sit there for awhile. You can find the BEST places to buy when you have more time and info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or