U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 12:23 PM

34,708 posts, read 33,729,968 times

Advertisements

For those who have retired and relocated, is there anything that you didn't consider before you moved that you would either advise others to consider or that you, yourself would now factor into any future relocation decisions?

It doesn't necessarily have to be something that turned out bad or good for you, although it could be that, just something that if you had to do it again, it would factor into your decision-making process.

For example, did you take something for granted (because it was always available) so you never even thought about how important it was to you until you didn't have it and/or had to travel far to get it and/or realized it wasn't available in the variety you were used to?

Or, for example, did you choose a place that might have been good for you in your late 50s, that was not right when you hit 70?

Or, for example, did you retire to be near some relative (Mother, father, sibling, children) only to have that relative move/die leaving you in a place where you really didn't want to be in retirement?

Or, for example did you discover something new that you like a lot in the retirement relocation spot, that you didn't have/experience before, that now if you moved again, it would definitely factor into your relocation decision?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 01:30 PM

167 posts, read 419,708 times
We retired to Jacksonville, FL 10 years ago. We selected Jax because of climate, airport, interstates, passenger railroad and cost of living. About the same time the developers were turned loose resulting in many thousands of new homes and much more traffic. We are looking to move and this time we will pay attention to future developments and zoning.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:11 AM

7,099 posts, read 24,516,164 times
We bought a home in a little community close to our business. We thought it would be a lovely place to retire in. THEN , we found out that everyone belonged to either the Baptist or Methodist church, we were probably the only people of our denomination for miles and miles. No one even drank beer....except maybe in private...and looked down on anyone that did. We probably had the only season tickets to the symphony too. The entire social life of the community was either with family or down at the church. And the two congregation did not mingle.

We stood it for eight years and moved back about three miles from where we had formerly lived. Smaller house, cost more (location, location, location) but it was back among people we knew and with whom we shared many more things.

Where a place is, is not as nearly important as what the people are like.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:38 AM

13,107 posts, read 24,913,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
We bought a home in a little community close to our business. We thought it would be a lovely place to retire in. THEN , we found out that everyone belonged to either the Baptist or Methodist church, we were probably the only people of our denomination for miles and miles. No one even drank beer....except maybe in private...and looked down on anyone that did. We probably had the only season tickets to the symphony too. The entire social life of the community was either with family or down at the church. And the two congregation did not mingle.

We stood it for eight years and moved back about three miles from where we had formerly lived. Smaller house, cost more (location, location, location) but it was back among people we knew and with whom we shared many more things.

Where a place is, is not as nearly important as what the people are like.
I can understand coming from the Northeast we are really checking out areas down south before we commit...so far savannah is in the top 5

Old 09-21-2007, 08:58 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,889,510 times
My wife and I made a cross country move a year ago, but we're still about 7 years away from retirement. Wether or not this will be our retirement location ( Grand Junction, CO ) will be clarfied as time moves on. It's a pretty nice place, and it has grown on us during the past year.

As to what we would do differently....Even though we bought a nice house in a nice neighborhood at a fair price, I wish we would have waited at least a few months to get to know the area a bit better. We could have probably found a house & neighboorhood that we liked even better....but we would have paid more by waiting, becasue prices have risen about 20% over the past 14 months. So all things considered, we probably did the right thing buying right away. It's a toss up.

blessings....Franco

Old 09-21-2007, 10:26 AM

13,107 posts, read 24,913,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
My wife and I made a cross country move a year ago, but we're still about 7 years away from retirement. Wether or not this will be our retirement location ( Grand Junction, CO ) will be clarfied as time moves on. It's a pretty nice place, and it has grown on us during the past year.

As to what we would do differently....Even though we bought a nice house in a nice neighborhood at a fair price, I wish we would have waited at least a few months to get to know the area a bit better. We could have probably found a house & neighboorhood that we liked even better....but we would have paid more by waiting, becasue prices have risen about 20% over the past 14 months. So all things considered, we probably did the right thing buying right away. It's a toss up.

blessings....Franco
My parents lived in Grand Junction for a few years, they loved it! Unfortunately their health was getting iffy so they moved back to the east coast, I think they still regreat coming back.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:19 AM

8,237 posts, read 18,531,752 times
Isn't the health care good in Grand Junction, Franco? If you will look at your phonebook, you will see a photo by someone that I know very very well....

Old 09-22-2007, 09:13 AM

5,398 posts, read 21,417,446 times
We looked at many things and visited a number of places before relocating in retirement and thus far we really don’t have any regrets.

We started with a reluctance to be too far from family but in time agreed that being within an hour of a major airport will allow pretty good face contact.

Our priority list when shopping for a new location was very comprehensive with likes and dislikes listed noting the deal breakers. Even though some of our preferences were difficult to satisfy we did find a number or properties that met our needs, although we wound up stretching the budget to do it.

Things that we did not fully consider have not become too big a problem… Our health care costs are 20% higher in the new location due to insurance and doctor differences between states. Even though we are over twenty miles from the airport, when the winds shift we get a bit more air traffic routed over than we expected. The really good restaurants are further away than we expected.

We are very happy in retirement in our new location and think that our three years of research before moving has paid off.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:41 AM

609 posts, read 1,914,389 times
Make sure that when you pick a place do not be that conscious of prices. You are better off if necessary to buy a little less home and be where you want. Point is do not let prices affect your choices.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:24 PM

13,334 posts, read 25,596,053 times
I wonder about single older people relocating or retiring. I have always been single, so don't see much change except the ongoing difficulty of meeting people, and I don't mean just men of interest. I mean any people. Seems most people, especially in couples, are very involved with their families, both of origin and likely of married life. I know it's just plain harder to meet people once you're out of that 20s-30s world of many people, mobile, often single (at least that's how it seems to be in cities and nearby areas).
I do have a vague plan to become involved in a Unitarian church that seems like a good fit (not the one in my town). I think if I relocate, it would be because I love the mountains and weather of Colorado, and in order to meet people and have any structure, I'd likely do the same things there that I hope to do here outside Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or