Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2012, 10:04 AM

14,450 posts, read 20,630,704 times

Advertisements

Check Your Future Social Security Payouts With New Online Tool | The Exchange - Yahoo! Finance

I signed up, and under "estimated benefit" it says "not applicable."

Last edited by howard555; 05-19-2012 at 10:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 10:26 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
I can only guess that it's a new site and a new tool, and it may have some bugs to work out. It is a legitimate Social Security site, and not some third-party trying to get your personal info. And the site is created wisely enough to use secure Internet. So if you try again in a few days, it might suddenly start working.

(Still, I won't be creating an account there, since I'm will probably always paranoid about not putting on the web anything I wouldn't want to post to a billboard. "Security" be damned! )

Old 05-19-2012, 10:31 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
Just call your local SS office and make a phone appointment - the rep will answer your questions...often the appointments are within a few days of your initial call to your SS office...you don't even need to travel to the SS office to get the information you need.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:47 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
This has been available for a few years and I have been using it for a number of years, however it looks like they redid it and you may need to register or something so there may be problems. Didn't try to register again as the article said some have had problems so hopefully if it is virgin software the bugs will be cleaned up soon. You are only as good as your programmer and they are only as good as you pay them for the most part.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:46 AM

2,245 posts, read 3,007,241 times
The new one is different than the estimator that's been around for a few years. This one replicates the statements they stopped mailing out every year. It has the same details, and looks the same as the annual statements when you print it out. It does require registration and a log-in and password. The estimator just requires answering some questions, and it only shows dollar amounts for retiring at different ages. The estimator and the statement, are two separate features on the SSA site.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:08 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
Maybe they finally accepted the inevitable, and figured out its "doomed to fail". Personally, I wouldn't put much stock in those estimates. Adjustments will have to be made in SS or the whole govt. will collapse just like Greece is right now, so don't take SS for granted.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:10 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Maybe they finally accepted the inevitable, and figured out its "doomed to fail". Personally, I wouldn't put much stock in those estimates. Adjustments will have to be made in SS or the whole govt. will collapse just like Greece is right now, so don't take SS for granted.
Yes, it's good not to place absolute reliance on any one thing (all the eggs in one basket). However, the crunch time for Social Security is far enough out that people the age of most posters here don't really have anything to worry about. If I were 50 or even 55, I do think I would be concerned, but I am 68 and in my wildest imagination I cannot image ever being 88 - it's just totally unthinkable, totally impossible; I will be long dead by then.

As long as we understand the assumptions underlying the estimates, they can be considered accurate. Aren't the main assumptions these two?:
1. The worker will continue working at roughly the same pay until the age entered into the calculator.
2. Social Security will not collapse. This second assumption is good for about 20 years even if no changes are made, and even then there will be no "collapse" but benefits would drop to about 75% of previous levels. If that were to happen it would be a serious crisis but it would not be the same as a total collapse.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:08 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,456 times
I signed up for the statement. It did require a more complicated password; they dictate what you must use.
I received a letter in the mail asking if I had signed up (verification) there is another calculator that you can fill in the actual wages made by year. Very interesting, but don't know if it's accurate.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:21 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
I signed up for the statement. It did require a more complicated password; they dictate what you must use.
I received a letter in the mail asking if I had signed up (verification) there is another calculator that you can fill in the actual wages made by year. Very interesting, but don't know if it's accurate.
Kudos to SS for learning security lessons! We've been dealing with the complex passwords stuff at work for quite a few years, now. But the IT guys told me that a study proved that length is better than complexity, for security purposes. So now I use pass-phrases instead of pass-words.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:19 PM

14,450 posts, read 20,630,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
It was, at least, more than they are willing to send me.
I've asked for my statement of earnings, and expected s.s. benefits and they won't send to me. That new weblink gives me no result either.
I'm temporarily on disability, and that is why they won't send me a statement. I've asked more than once. It does not apply, until I'm back to work. Since my expected s.s. is less than my s.s.d.i. I'm concerned and wanted to see some numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement