U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 05:53 PM

30,691 posts, read 49,476,475 times

Advertisements

We have been in food coops before.

We have also done SHARE before. They wanted each household to record a minimum number of hours each month doing volunteer work to qualify. We were a foster family so that qualified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 12:28 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,231,496 times
Thanks KEEPER - for the information. I'll look into it.

Sincerely,
BucFan

Old 01-12-2009, 02:53 PM

29,784 posts, read 34,885,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
LauraC has it right. I ended up with more disposal income at half of my former income.

Moved from a high cost-of-living area.

Gasoline expenses reduced by 75%.

No longer pay state income tax.

No need to buy business suits and related clothes.

Car insurance reduced because of less miles driven per year and no longer living in a risky urban area.

Housing much cheaper.

It all adds up.

That is all a major bingo and a key to being in good shape in retirement. The big thing is to not have a mortgage. The other reductions are there and it is amazing when you don't have them anymore. The other key is working and re working a budget prior to retirement and being prepared for various scenario's.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:26 PM

2,317 posts, read 4,640,505 times
no regrets...retired a year now...actually the only regret I have is that I couldn't leave sooner...you can never get back the time that has gone by
in your life...so retire with no regrets and live life to the fullest...

Old 04-07-2009, 09:47 AM

1,195 posts, read 4,995,077 times
Hi all, husband and I did retire in June 2008. Transferred from Alaska to Nevada have a beautiful home and a yard that needs a great deal of landscaping. It's so strang to not have to get up and go into work however I still get up between 6:30 and 7:00am I guess some things just don't change. We love the weather down here did get a winter of snow that would melt off in a day or two and sometime by noon the day it snowed. Other than some MIL issues with health and her moving to the Reno area our stress level is way down.

We've met a great deal of friends around here that keep us hopping all the time some our age and some very much younger than us and they too are a blast.

We will be headed back to Alaska in May and several from down here will be following us up.

As my husband says retirement is the best job he's ever had.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:09 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,056,039 times
Hey Tressa,

I was just wondering how you were doing. Thanks for hte update and glad to hear you are doing so well.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:17 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,978,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
My husband and I will retire next year, we will be relocating from Alaska to Nevada in the winter months. I guess my biggest question is,

Were you concerned before retirement if you were going to be able to survive on your retirement income, our income will be roughly 4500.00 monthly until Social Security age. I am a bit spooked as whether or not we will be able to survive as both of us working gross $10,000 a month but we have bills to go with that income and once we retire we won't have any bills such as vehicle loans, big mortgages.

We only have 264 days left and I'm working on getting cold fee.
I would say that if your use to living on 10,000 a monthy a more than 50% cut will take some getting use to. I just hope you saved some of that money. But of course Alaska can be pretty expensive to live in with higher price sbut the oil income helped there. I say saved some of that money because the move is going to cost quite abit itself judging from people I know that moved from alaska.If you have the moeny for housing and no other debt you can get by especailly if you weren't actually spending 10,000 a month but saving alot of it towards the move.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:21 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,018,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
My husband and I will retire next year, we will be relocating from Alaska to Nevada in the winter months. I guess my biggest question is,

Were you concerned before retirement if you were going to be able to survive on your retirement income, our income will be roughly 4500.00 monthly until Social Security age. I am a bit spooked as whether or not we will be able to survive as both of us working gross $10,000 a month but we have bills to go with that income and once we retire we won't have any bills such as vehicle loans, big mortgages.

We only have 264 days left and I'm working on getting cold fee.
All I can say is that here in Minnesota which has high property taxes and is pretty much middle of the road in all other ways - I could save and live very well on $4,500 a month. I know there are two of you, but still. Consider yourselves lucky.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:15 PM

1,195 posts, read 4,995,077 times
We do consider ourselves very lucky with the down economy the way that it is right now we're thankful every day that we have a pension, and our medical insurance is covered. We've been doing very well learning that we need to think about the items we want to purchase seriously and if we really need it. We do have a good savings account along with investments but can't touch the investments for another 4 years.

We do love our new home and location, that makes everything worth it.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:00 PM

21,217 posts, read 5,634,753 times
I'm fortunate in the sense that I rent and have a roommate so we split the rent, utilities, and food. I don't have a car payment so that helps a lot. My SS is not taxed and my annuity is only federally taxed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or