Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 05:37 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times

Advertisements

We are now in the week post-Sandy, and watching the hurricane season this year turned out to be more thought provoking than I thought it would be. We're several hours away from a coast, yet the hurricane came our way, anyway. Although our house didn't have damage, the park down the street was underwater for a day or two--yet we are no where near a beach or the areas you usually associate with hurricanes. Our flooding came from things like rapidly melting snow, adding to the rain from the storm. So I guess that just underscores the point others have made that it doesn't matter where we live. We could retire to a beach or decide to stay here--no matter where you are, there's no guarantee that you can avoid storm damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 08:04 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
We are now in the week post-Sandy, and watching the hurricane season this year turned out to be more thought provoking than I thought it would be. We're several hours away from a coast, yet the hurricane came our way, anyway. Although our house didn't have damage, the park down the street was underwater for a day or two--yet we are no where near a beach or the areas you usually associate with hurricanes. Our flooding came from things like rapidly melting snow, adding to the rain from the storm. So I guess that just underscores the point others have made that it doesn't matter where we live. We could retire to a beach or decide to stay here--no matter where you are, there's no guarantee that you can avoid storm damage.
Caladium, this is so very true. It really doesn't matter WHERE in the world one lives, mother nature is everywhere, and there is always the possibility of some sort of "unprecedented event" like Sandy. Things are going to happen. Just pick where you want to live and do the best you can to prepare for possible events. We only live two blocks from the bay, off the Gulf coast, but we love living here and the possibility of bad storms or hurricanes does not sway us.

Glad you came out OK.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:26 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
It really doesn't matter WHERE in the world one lives, mother nature is everywhere, and there is always the possibility of some sort of "unprecedented event" like Sandy. Things are going to happen. Just pick where you want to live and do the best you can to prepare for possible events. We only live two blocks from the bay, off the Gulf coast, but we love living here and the possibility of bad storms or hurricanes does not sway us.
The risks of shore (or flood area) living is one thing when you are healthy and fit and mobile; it's quite another thing when you are aged and frail and not so mobile and possibly confined to a wheelchair or need help in such measures as evacuation. Going toward much older age I would not live in any flood prone area. Sure things can happen anywhere, but for many there's such a thing as hedging their bets. That said, if the residents on your blocks ever need to cash in en masse on flood insurance, everyone else will be kicking in to pay for it.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:31 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Default Don't get depressed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL, and if the global warming folks are right and the seas rise, Williamsburg may end up being even more of a coastal city than I thought.

OK enough of that. I'm just glad to see a positive comment in this thread. I was getting a bit depressed by this thread, but then I decided to change my attitude about weather. You know, I've lived in hurricane country and life was just fine--why am I scaring myself over this issue? I've also lived in tornado alley and earthquake country and fire country and managed to have a wonderful life in all those places. When did I become such a wuss?

I've been through a few natural disasters and had to repair a few things. It wasn't fun, but it wasn't the end of the world, either. You learn how to live with it. You use your brain to choose good construction and a site that isn't prone to flooding. You learn what to do if an emergency should occur and how to evacuate if you need to, and then you get on with life.

I don't want to spend my retirement years freaking myself out with worries about the hundred different types of disasters that might (might) happen someday. Because no matter how hard you try to find a "weather disaster free" area there's always some new type of disaster that someone comes up with to worry about. Or earthquakes start hitting in Haiti and tornadoes hit in New England.

Yesterday my friends cancelled their retirement plans to move to Colorado because they're freaking out about the fires there. They've always wanted to move to Colorado. Always. I can't tell you how sad it makes me that they allowed tv news to freak them out. But I'm in no position to judge, I do the same thing. What happened to the free spirit I used to be--I could move anywhere and if storm blew in or an earthquake struck I dealt with it, I didn't try to find places that never had weather problems. I want to be that girl again.
about my views here Caladium, please.

I don't believe it is because we lost our ability to be free spirits but rather we have lived long enough to realize that the days in front of us are not like the days behind us in our rear view mirror. We gain a great deal of wisdom and insight on our journey through life, however, in the process that very knowledge and insight allows us to face certain facts concerning our advancing years.

I agree with many who say age is just a number, however, it is also much more than that. Our bodies, organs, brains and bodily functions change...however gradually for some of us but enough I think to alert us to our potential future. As my mother so eloquently said when she was ill...my body has betrayed my mind. I have never forgotten that she said that, it has stuck with me these many, many years.

After all Benjamin Button is a fictional character whose circumstances don't hold true for the rest of us mere mortals. Fortunately I believe, as I would have a very, very difficult time watching a loved one regress to the body of a newborn and then watching them take their last breath; althoug it is just as difficult to watch a loved one, regardless of age or physical condition succumb to death...but that, in the end is the circle of life.

Head up, chin up, and chest out and think nothing but good thoughts!

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 11-04-2012, 05:03 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Default If you're looking for a coastal town to retire to, which communities have you considered?

Well, Jersey Shore wouldn't be high on the list!

Old 11-04-2012, 05:14 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Amen.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:02 PM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
Quote:

There's a Jersey Shore in PA, just about the middle of the state.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:46 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
LOL. Then again, it might become an outrageous bargain for the next 2-3 years and end up attracting a lot of retirees for that reason. Jersey Shore doesn't appeal to me for other reasons, but I could see why a lot of people would consider it, especially if they looked at places on the higher stretches of land or several blocks inland. Ironically, the blocks that used to be the least expensive are probably now worth more than the oceanfront. If I went that route, however, I'd probably fill in the basement.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:27 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
The risks of shore (or flood area) living is one thing when you are healthy and fit and mobile; it's quite another thing when you are aged and frail and not so mobile and possibly confined to a wheelchair or need help in such measures as evacuation. Going toward much older age I would not live in any flood prone area. Sure things can happen anywhere, but for many there's such a thing as hedging their bets. That said, if the residents on your blocks ever need to cash in en masse on flood insurance, everyone else will be kicking in to pay for it.
I'll take my chances! Much rather deal with flooding in Florida than flooding AND "nor'easters up north! Plus, I need to smell that wonderful salty air. It's a therapeutic drug for me.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:38 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
As long as people insist on building wood houses along the east coast they're going to pay high insurance premiums. Wouldn't it make more sense to build cinder block houses on piers that can withstand hurricanes? If the house is built to a rating of 150 mile winds they can tell the insurance co's to go pound sand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement